Garden Villages: cheap agricultural landowners raise a glass to planning gain

Zardoz Greek zardos777 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jan 2 20:42:31 GMT 2017

Locations of 14 new garden villages revealed
Around 50,000 new homes will be built
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/locations-of-14-new-garden-villages-revealed-a7505131.html

Sam Blewett 13 hours  ago 110 comments The Independent Online

Letchworth was the world's first garden city

The first wave of garden villages planned to create tens of thousands of new homes in England has been given the go-ahead.

Ministers have backed 14 bids across the country that will develop new communities with between 1,500 and 10,000 properties.

Larger scale garden towns in Aylesbury, Bucks, Taunton in Somerset and Harlow and Gilston, on the Essex-Herts border, have also been signed off by the Government.

The plans are expected to create a series of new communities with green spaces, good transport links and high quality affordable homes to help tackle the country’s housing crisis.

READ MORE
No room for a Garden City? Just build a Garden Village instead, says
Some £6 million in funding will go towards developing the new villages, which could generate 48,000 new homes, while £1.4 million has been earmarked for the towns.

Combined with seven garden towns and cities already announced, the initiative has the potential to deliver 200,000 properties, the Government said.

Homes are already being built in Aylesbury, Taunton, Bicester and Didcot in Oxfordshire, Basingstoke in Hampshire, Ebbsfleet in Kent, and north Northamptonshire.

Housing minister Gavin Barwell said: “Locally led garden towns and villages have enormous potential to deliver the homes that communities need.

“New communities not only deliver homes, they also bring new jobs and facilities and a big boost to local economies. These places combined could provide almost 200,000 homes.”

The new villages are Long Marston in Stratford-on-Avon; Oxfordshire Cotswold in West Oxfordshire; Deenethorpe in East Northamptonshire; Culm in Mid Devon; Welborne near Fareham in Hampshire; West Carclaze in Cornwall; Dunton Hills near Brentwood, Essex; Spitalgate Heath in South Kesteven District, Lincolnshire; Halsnead in Knowsley, Merseyside; Longcross in Runnymede and Surrey Heath; Bailrigg in Lancaster; Infinity Garden Village in South Derbyshire; St Cuthberts near Carlisle; and North Cheshire in Cheshire East.

More about: Garden villages
Men: How to dress well without trying…
Fashion Insider
Father And Son Take Same Photo For 25 Years! Don't Cry When You See The Last One!
mainssstream
The Length Of Your Finger Reveals A Few Surprises About Your Personality.
Ever Tricks
Those Born Between 1951 and 1981 Are Eligible for High Paid Surveys
Survey Compare
11 Delicious Foods That Combat Diabetes
Healthy Panda
  by Taboola Sponsored Links
Everything you need to know before moving to a 'garden village'
by Taboola
MOST POPULAR

Titanic sank due to enormous uncontrollable fire, experts claim

Why don't we stand with Turkey like we did with Paris and Orlando?

'World's oldest man' celebrates his 146th birthday

Planet Earth II 'a disaster for world's wildlife', says rival producer

Mariah Carey calls sabotage after humiliating NYE performance

COMMENTS
Follow replies to my comments
Hello ThisWeek.org.uk(Logout)
110 Comments
Subscribe
RSS

1 hour ago
India
Why are there none in the north east?
Share
+1

3 hours ago
jwk-xat
"The new villages are ...  ... and North Cheshire in Cheshire East." -- That village name is going to cause confusion, surely.
Share
+1

4 hours ago
samuel smith
Of course, the 300+ thousands per year have absolutely no detrimental effects and can only be beneficial. There will be a tipping point when we realise we can't build more land.
Share
+1

6 hours ago
Andrey
Should be 6 times more to accommodate the 330000 net immigration (annually).
Share
-3

7 hours ago
Angela_K
The herd of elephants in the room is of course immigration. We cannot afford to allow the countryside to be concreted over just so the "white flighters" have somewhere else to live, making way for the hoards of economically inactive immigrants who have a propensity to breed like rats.
Shame about Long Marston, it was the home of the Hells Angels run Bulldog bash; many a happy time spent.
Share
1 reply
0

3 hours ago
dizzydog
You might find some pals here but thank God those with you're rabid atrophied mind are the minority.
Share
+2

7 hours ago
thoughtful_person
A bonkers idea. Everyone in these places will have to commute to the nearest big town to find work.

The real solution is to encourage building upwards in big cities not outwards into the countryside.

Most of London is covered in brick houses with chimneys that we built nearly a century ago and have now been converted into lots of tiny flats. Everyone living in those tiny flats would welcome the idea of knocking them down and building modern high rise apartments with lots of space.

Share
+7

7 hours ago
dizzydog
"high quality affordable homes"

Nice. But how are high quality properties for sale going to assist those people on our streets?
Socialf'inhousing!
Share
+1

7 hours ago
SeaBee
No new housing South of the Wash and use the empty houses of which there are many North of the Wash. The South of England is full and will soon run out of water.
Share
+6

7 hours ago
couldberightIsometimesam
Our infrastructure and services are already seriously overloaded. Our weight of population is far too much in comparison with most European countries.
Share
+5

7 hours ago
couldberightIsometimesam
Local authorities have been given permission to implement substantial rate rises 'to pay for the care of the elderly'. Thus more can be afforded from government and LA budgets for more for housing, schooling, healthcare, legal fees, translators and tracking of illegal immigrants.