Anonymous 'Who Owns England' 2016/7 research project

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Tue Jan 3 23:01:51 GMT 2017

Somebody calling thernselves 'Guy' writes in the
first person but seems to be deliberately hiding his surname...  a bit weird
Anyway fascinating research and he says he's got
money from Simon Fairlie to investigate an up to date Who Owns Britain
Not sure if this an attempt to update Kevin
Cahill's 2001 book 'Who Owns Britain'?
TG

<https://whoownsengland.wordpress.com/>WHO OWNS ENGLAND?

When I started this blog back in August, I didn’t
expect it to generate the interest that it has.
But I’ve been constantly blown away by the number
of readers, retweets, media interest and, most of
all, kind offers of help. My thanks to everyone
who’s read and contributed to this blog over
these past months – and particularly to two
contributors who wanted to remain anonymous, but
who have done a huge amount to help me obtain and
crunch through data on who owns England.
https://whoownsengland.wordpress.com/2017/01/01/who-owns-england-what-we-know-so-far-where-next/

A new year’s a good time to take stock, so I
thought I’d do a summary of what I’ve found out
so far, and follow that up with a taster of investigations yet to come.

What do we now know about Who owns England?

We now know that:
    *
<https://whoownsengland.wordpress.com/2016/12/12/the-50-companies-that-own-over-a-million-acres-of-england-wales/>50
companies own 1.3 million acres of England &
Wales – including housebuilders Taylor Wimpey,
supermarket giant Tesco and building materials company Lafarge.
    *
<https://whoownsengland.wordpress.com/2016/08/29/liquid-assets-land-owned-by-the-water-utilities/>Nine
water companies own 345,977 acres of England –
rising to 423,952 acres of England & Wales when
Welsh Water is added in. Eight of the water
utilities make it into the top 50 land-owning
companies in England & Wales. Some are much more
transparent than others, with some of the largest
landowning water utilities – like United
Utilities and Yorkshire Water – still refusing to
release maps of their landholdings.
    *
<https://whoownsengland.wordpress.com/2016/10/28/who-owns-englands-grouse-moors/>Grouse
moors cover at least 550,000 acres of England,
with at least 300,000 of these acres owned by
just 30 huge estates – a number of which are
owned offshore, and most of whom rake in large
public farm subsidies. This survey’s far from
complete, however, with many more grouse moor
estates yet to be listed and mapped.
    *
<https://whoownsengland.wordpress.com/2016/08/14/mod-land/>The
Ministry of Defence owns 750,000 acres. Despite
their historic secrecy, the MOD have disclosed to
me a map of their land holdings for the first time.
    *
<https://whoownsengland.wordpress.com/2016/09/14/what-does-whitehall-own/>The
rest of Whitehall’s government departments own
192,588 acres. You can see maps of land owned by
DEFRA, Natural England, the Environment Agency
and the former Department of Energy & Climate
Change
<https://whoownsengland.wordpress.com/2016/09/14/what-does-whitehall-own/>here;
and
<https://whoownsengland.wordpress.com/2016/11/23/how-much-public-land-is-available-for-house-building/>here’s
details on land owned by the Homes & Communities Agency.
    *
<https://whoownsengland.wordpress.com/2016/09/25/what-do-the-oxford-colleges-own/>Oxford
Colleges own at least 29,000 acres and probably
more like 128,000 acres, but the richest colleges
are reluctant to disclose details, whilst the
poorest are happy to declare they own little land. Quelle surprise

    *
<https://whoownsengland.wordpress.com/2016/08/17/to-the-manor-born-mapping-the-grosvenor-estate/>The
Grosvenor Estate owns 140,000 acres – including a
grouse moor, farmland and 300 acres of central
London’s prime real estate – all recently
inherited by the 25-year-old Seventh Duke of Westminster.
    * The Forestry Commission owns 2.2 million
acres, making it the single largest landowner in
Britain, while the RSPB owns 320,000 acres –
check out maps of the land owned by these two
organisations
<https://whoownsengland.wordpress.com/2016/08/21/the-birds-and-the-trees-land-owned-by-the-rspb-and-forestry-commission/>here.

    *
<https://whoownsengland.wordpress.com/2016/09/06/who-owns-parliament/>The
Crown still claims ownership of the Houses of
Parliament, despite the monarch having been
forbidden to enter the Commons since the Civil War.
    *
<https://whoownsengland.wordpress.com/2016/11/27/englands-missing-acres/>Only
80% of the land in England and Wales has been
registered, with a fifth yet to be recorded by
the Land Registry. But the good news is that the
Land Registry has been saved from privatisation,
and
<https://whoownsengland.wordpress.com/2016/11/10/why-we-must-open-up-the-land-registry/>more
organisations are now calling for it to be opened
up – something the government has hinted very tentative support for.

So what’s next?

Rest assured there is much, much more to come. So
here’s a sneak peek at some of the investigations
and blog posts I’ve got underway:
    * I’m hoping to share with you a map of all
the land ownership data I’ve gathered so far –
the most comprehensive map of land ownership in England yet built.
    * Who owns England’s uplands? I’ve been given
funding by <http://tlio.org.uk/chapter7/>Chapter
7 / The Land Is Ours to construct a complete map
of land ownership of the English uplands. This
will build on previous investigations into grouse
moors and water utilities. The uplands are a
fascinating and heavily contested part of the
English landscape: who owns and manages them is
of great importance to reducing flooding,
protecting species, and combatting climate
change. Yet they are owned by a vanishingly small
number of people and organisations.
    * Who owns the land most sought-after for
housebuilding? And is landbanking by certain
firms and individuals driving up house prices?
    * Who owns our best-quality agricultural
land? And is it being used wisely, or wasted?
    * What land is owned by councils? This one’s
gonna take a lot of work to pull together, but a
group of kind volunteers have offered to help out.
    * What do the Royals own? I’ll be picking
apart the ancient landholdings of the Crown
Estate, the Duchies of Cornwall and Lancaster,
and the Queen’s private estates.

Onwards into 2017 – and to answering the question of who owns England!

So much emphasis is placed on select Jewish
participation in Bormann companies that when
Adolf Eichmann was seized and taken to Tel Aviv
to stand trial, it produced a shock wave in the
Jewish and German communities of Buenos Aires.
Jewish leaders informed the Israeli authorities
in no uncertain terms that this must never happen
again because a repetition would permanently
rupture relations with the Germans of Latin
America, as well as with the Bormann
organization, and cut off the flow of Jewish
money to Israel. It never happened again, and the
pursuit of Bormann quieted down at the request of
these Jewish leaders. He is residing in an
Argentinian safe haven, protected by the most
efficient German infrastructure in history as
well as by all those whose prosperity depends on his well-being.
<http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fspitfirelist.com%2Fbooks%2Fmartin-bormann-nazi-in-exile%2F&h=eAQErj17O>http://spitfirelist.com/books/martin-bormann-nazi-in-exile/