Barely believable Labour housing scandal in Haringey - Lives torn apart and assets lost

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Fri Jan 20 23:57:26 GMT 2017

Lives torn apart and assets lost: this is what a
Labour privatisation would mean

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/19/lives-torn-apart-assets-labour-privatisation-north-london-haringey

The battle under way in the capital should
trouble us all. Proponents call it innovation,
but I say it’s an assault on the poor

http://tlio.org.uk/haringey-lives-torn-apart-and-assets-lost-this-is-what-a-labour-privatisation-would-mean/
<https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/19/https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/19/lives-torn-apart-assets-labour-privatisation-north-london-haringey#img-1>
<https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/19/https://www.theguardian.com/profile/adityachakrabortty>Aditya
Chakrabortty Thursday 19 January 2017 19.02
GMTLast modified on Friday 20 January 2017 15.59 GMT

Abattle broke out on Tuesday in one of the
scruffier parts of north London. It didn’t look
much: a few dozen placard wavers outside
<https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/19/https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Borough_of_Haringey>Haringey
civic centre, and a restive public heckling
councillors as they debated big plans for their
future. But this is a battle that concerns all of
us. At its heart is a programme that is among the
most audacious I’ve ever seen. Haringey wants to
privatise huge swaths of public property: family
homes, school buildings, its biggest library.
<https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/19/http://www.haringey.gov.uk/news/haringey-council-one-step-close-delivering-2bn-regeneration-programme>All
of it will be stuck in a private fund worth £2bn.

It comes with huge risks. It will demolish
precious social housing, turf out families and
rip apart communities. It will hand democratic
control to a massive private entity. The 20-year
plan is “unprecedented”, agreed backbench
councillors. They voted to slam on the brakes.
But if they’re ignored and the plan goes through,
it will form a blueprint for an altered capital.
<https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/19/https://www.theguardian.com/uk/london>London
will lurch closer towards becoming a playground
for speculators, a dormitory for professionals,
and off-limits both to the working class and to public dissent.

This may be the first you’ve heard of it – the
Haringey development vehicle has scored barely a
mention outside the local and trade press. Odd,
given how large it is, and how vital to council
leader Claire Kober, who is also chair of the
<https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/19/http://www.londoncouncils.gov.uk/>London
Councils group.

Having grown up nearby, in Edmonton, I know the
problems that fester in parts of Haringey

Kober claims that a joint venture with a
mega-developer is the sure route to 5,000 new
houses and a sparkling town centre. To which the
obvious question is: homes for whom? I’ve been
through the paperwork, had dozens of
conversations with councillors and locals, and
put a series of questions to the council. And
it’s clear they won’t be for the 8,000 Haringey
families on the waiting list for a council house.
If anything, this plan will add to the number who
are homeless. Not by accident but by design: the
plans are explicit about making accommodation in
this London borough even more expensive.

Why would a Labour council even think of doing
this to its own voters? Because the
hyper-ambitious leadership is still gripped by
zombie Blairism and its mania for “innovation”.
And because Kober and her allies appear to
believe the best way to relieve an area of
poverty is to kick out the poor people who live
there. Or,
<https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/19/http://www.minutes.haringey.gov.uk/documents/s81584/151028%20HDV%20APPENDIX%20A1%20-%20Business%20Case%20public%20version.pdf>as
they call it, creating “mixed and balanced communities”.

The stories you need to read, in one handy email

Read more

Having grown up next door, in Edmonton, I know
the problems that fester in parts of Haringey:
the death of light industry leading to a jobs
drought, and some of the worst deprivation in
Britain. There’s a reason Tottenham was ground
zero for the 2011 riots. Add to that the
impossible municipal maths of delivering year
upon year of Westminster-mandated spending cuts
while trying not to drown in a historic housing
crisis. So many needs, so little money.

Faced with these intractables, Kober and her
circle have decided the way to fix Tottenham is
to turn it into somewhere else. So they hire Nick
Walkley, who at Barnet handed nearly everything
his council did
<https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/19/https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jun/01/cameron-shrink-state-barnet-future-local-services>to
the giant outsourcing company Capita. They throw
public money at starchitects
<https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/19/https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/jan/03/architect-john-mcaslan-studio-tottenham>to
get them to set up a branch in the borough. They
blow the annual running cost of a daycare centre
on a redesign of the council logo. “Haringey
London”, it now reads, with an undisguised
spatial neediness. This is the kind of
regeneration mindset that can’t see a greasy
spoon without wishing it were a Starbucks.

And Kober gets cosy with the property industry.
Developers spend tens of thousands bringing her
and the
team<https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/19/https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/haringey_council_participation_i>
over to property fairs in Cannes. And there,
among the yachts, the council
<https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/19/http://www.propertyweek.com/news/six-in-the-running-for-%C2%A32bn-haringey-regeneration/5079924.article>announces
the shortlist of private-sector partners for this development vehicle.

A gorgeous art deco town hall is flogged to Hong
Kong investors to turn into a boutique hotel and
luxury apartments – with just four affordable
homes. Locals are furious, and Labour councillors
rebel. The chief whip, Adam Jogee, ticks off
colleagues for their “entirely unacceptable
behaviour”. Jogee, by the way, works for a
lobbying firm that represents two of the three
corporates on that development vehicle shortlist.
That same lobbyist
<https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/19/http://www.hamhigh.co.uk/news/outcry_over_haringey_labour_plans_to_privatise_2bn_of_council_estates_and_land_1_4825626>dined
Kober and her heads of finance and housing no fewer than 13 times.

Analysis The radical model fighting the housing
crisis: property prices based on income

Community land trusts battle gentrification by
linking house prices to local wages rather than
the market rate. But can this growing movement
for ‘permanently affordable’ homes really ease Britain’s housing crisis?

Read more

I’m not accusing these politicians of corruption.
But they seem to have such a corroded sense of
ethics that they can no longer discern inappropriate behaviour.

Then they start on this new development vehicle.
The council’s business case for it is too
important a job for any local official: a
property consultancy is hired in. As one might
expect of policy written by the real-estate
industry, the document contains
<https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/19/http://www.minutes.haringey.gov.uk/documents/s81584/151028%20HDV%20APPENDIX%20A1%20-%20Business%20Case%20public%20version.pdf>hardly
a word on social housing. Indeed, the council
tells me it has no targets for building social
housing through this new venture, just
“affordable” units. And as everyone knows, “affordable” means its opposite.

As for the joint venture, only a few councils
have ever tried them. That business case doesn’t
mention the failures,
<https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/19/http://www.croydonguardian.co.uk/news/13375556.Council_scraps_developer_deal_to_take_control_of_Taberner_House_plans/>such
as in Croydon, south London. It doesn’t mention
how
<https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/19/http://www.kentnews.co.uk/news/tunbridge_wells_regeneration_company_dissolved_after_four_years_1_1694512>the
venture in Tunbridge Wells collapsed,
<https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/19/https://www.stanyer.org.uk/news/regeneration-company-costs-revealed>leaving
locals to pick up the tab.

Other things not mentioned: democratic
accountability and the rights of council tenants.
Whole estates will be razed to the ground, and
the council confirmed to me that the people who
live there are not guaranteed the right to return
on the same tenancy contracts.

Not that the tenants know any of this. The first
council estate to go into the vehicle will be
Northumberland Park: close to the Lea Valley
waterways and blessed with good transport links
into central London. Such attributes make it far
too good for mere council tenants, of course. But
last week, when I asked residents if they knew
their homes were set to be demolished, some stared at me in wonder.

<https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/19/https://ppcrassociates.files.wordpress.com/2016/11/survey-report-sept-2016.pdf>Haringey’s
own consultants admit: “There is very little
sound knowledge of the proposed regeneration in Northumberland Park.”

I keep thinking about one couple: Sirajul and
Moriam Islam. He drives a school bus, she’s an
assistant in a nearby special-needs school. They
bought their flat from the council 30 years ago
and have spent years doing it up. Now they’ll be
turfed out with a sum that will not buy them
another flat in the area. They talk about seeing
out their final years in a strange new town,
among people they don’t know. “Like living in a
prison,” sighs Moriam. Then Sirajul tells me
about his boy who’s training to be a doctor, and
his girl who’s about to start as a teacher. “I
always told them: ‘We might be working-class, but
you can do anything.’” The mixed and balanced and
“aspirational” community Kober and co are seeking
is right under their noses, if only they’d see it.

This has been the story of central London’s
transformation over the past decade: clearing of
the commons, dismissal of the little people,
deference towards developers and the replacement
of reality with property-marketing fiction. If
Haringey implements these proposals then outer
London is next. Which is why I believe this
battle is one that the rest of us can’t sit out.
Enough of forced gentrification. Enough of
privatising public assets. Enough of that rancid
New Labour contempt for its own voters. This has to stop.

• The picture caption was amended on 20 January
2017 because an earlier version said it showed
Tottenham town hall. It is a picture of what was
originally a gas showroom, and it later contained
some of Haringey council’s offices. The building
was badly damaged in the riots and reopened as an enterprise centre.

So much emphasis is placed on select Jewish
participation in Bormann companies that when
Adolf Eichmann was seized and taken to Tel Aviv
to stand trial, it produced a shock wave in the
Jewish and German communities of Buenos Aires.
Jewish leaders informed the Israeli authorities
in no uncertain terms that this must never happen
again because a repetition would permanently
rupture relations with the Germans of Latin
America, as well as with the Bormann
organization, and cut off the flow of Jewish
money to Israel. It never happened again, and the
pursuit of Bormann quieted down at the request of
these Jewish leaders. He is residing in an
Argentinian safe haven, protected by the most
efficient German infrastructure in history as
well as by all those whose prosperity depends on his well-being.
<http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fspitfirelist.com%2Fbooks%2Fmartin-bormann-nazi-in-exile%2F&h=eAQErj17O>http://spitfirelist.com/books/martin-bormann-nazi-in-exile/