Holy Land Grab - the Six Day War 50 years on

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Thu Jun 15 01:23:40 BST 2017

<https://theintercept.com/2017/06/05/a-50-year-occupation-israels-six-day-war-started-with-a-lie/>A
50-Year Occupation: Israel’s Six-Day War Started With a Lie

https://theintercept.com/2017/06/05/a-50-year-occupation-israels-six-day-war-started-with-a-lie/

<https://theintercept.com/staff/mehdi-hasan/>Mehdi Hasan June 5 2017, 2:07 p.m.
http://www.911forum.org.uk/board/viewtopic.php?t=23602

FIFTY YEARS AGO, between June 5 and June 10,
1967, Israel invaded and occupied East Jerusalem,
the West Bank, the Gaza Strip, and the Golan
Heights. The Six-Day War, as it would later be
dubbed, saw the Jewish David inflict a
humiliating defeat on the Arab Goliath,
personified perhaps by Gamal Abdel Nasser’s Egypt.

“The existence of the Israeli state hung by a
thread,” the country’s prime minister, Levi
Eshkol,
<https://books.google.com/books?id=pmVJcexlio8C&pg=PA46&lpg=PA46&dq=existence+hung+on+a+thread+levi+eshkol&source=bl&ots=QVH7U3Umvx&sig=eeySbEJiSvgC4jQin8lunmTos2o&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi02fGQ157UAhVF4CYKHaP8DXsQ6AEIMDAC#v=onepage&q=existence%20hung%20on%20a%20thread%20levi%20eshkol&f=false>claimed
two days after the war was over, “but the hopes
of the Arab leaders to annihilate Israel were
dashed.” Genocide, went the argument, had been
prevented; another Holocaust of the Jews averted.

There is, however, a problem with this argument:
It is complete fiction, a self-serving fantasy
constructed after the event to justify a war of
aggression and conquest. Don’t take my word for
it: “The thesis according to which the danger of
genocide hung over us in June 1967, and according
to which Israel was fighting for her very
physical survival, was nothing but a bluff which
was born and bred after the war,”
<https://worldview.carnegiecouncil.org/archive/worldview/1973/09/2214.html/_res/id=File1/>declared
Gen. Matituahu Peled, chief of logistical command
during the war and one of 12 members of Israel’s General Staff, in March 1972.

A year earlier, Mordechai Bentov, a member of the
wartime government and one of 37 people to sign
Israel’s Declaration of Independence, had made a
similar admission. “This whole story about the
threat of extermination was totally contrived,
and then elaborated upon, a posteriori, to
justify the annexation of new Arab territories,”
he
<https://worldview.carnegiecouncil.org/archive/worldview/1973/09/2214.html/_res/id=File1/>said
in April 1971.

Even Israeli Prime Minister Menachem Begin,
<http://www.nybooks.com/articles/2015/09/24/jewish-terrorists/>former
terrorist and darling of the Israeli far right,
<http://www.nytimes.com/1982/08/21/world/excerpts-from-begin-speech-at-national-defense-college.html>conceded
in a speech in August 1982 that “in June 1967 we
had a choice. The Egyptian army concentrations in
the Sinai approaches did not prove that Nasser
was really about to attack us. We must be honest
with ourselves. We decided to attack him.”

The reverberations of that attack are still being
felt in the Middle East today. Few modern
conflicts have had as deep and long-lasting an
impact as the Six-Day War. As U.S. academic and
activist Thomas Reifer has
<http://www.jstor.org/stable/10.1525/jps.2013.42.4.95?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents>observed,
it sounded the “death knell of pan-Arab
nationalism, the rise of political Islam
 a more
independent Palestinian nationalism” and
“Israel’s emergence as a U.S. strategic asset,
with the United States sending billions of
dollars
 in a strategic partnership unequalled in world history.”

Above all else, the war,
<https://books.google.com/books?id=mSWPSDQgRvIC&pg=PT63&lpg=PT63&dq=telegraph+1967+%E2%80%9Cthe+triumph+of+the+civilized%22+israel&source=bl&ots=etzh3TerZL&sig=p7sKTTV8b7R_7CzpNreRteOr8IQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiglo3v157UAhVBNSYKHerwBdwQ6AEIOjAD#v=onepage&q=telegraph%201967%20%E2%80%9Cthe%20triumph%20of%20the%20civilized%22%20israel&f=false>welcomed
by the London Daily Telegraph in 1967 as “the
triumph of the civilized,” forced another 300,000
Palestinians from their homes and ushered in a
brutal military occupation for the million-odd Palestinians left behind.

The conflict itself may have lasted only six
days, but the occupation that followed is now
entering its sixth decade ­ the longest military
occupation in the world. Apologists for Israel
often deny that it is an occupation and say the
Occupied Territories are merely “disputed,” a
disingenuous claim belied by Israel’s own Supreme
Court, which
<http://elyon1.court.gov.il/Files_ENG/04/570/079/a14/04079570.a14.htm>ruled
in 2005 that the West Bank is “held by the State
of Israel in belligerent occupation.”

Fifty long years of occupation; of dispossession
and ethnic cleansing; of
<http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/interactive/2012/08/2012830754014332.html>house
demolitions and
<http://www.btselem.org/freedom_of_movement/curfew>night
curfews; of
<http://www.btselem.org/freedom_of_movement/old/copy%20of%20checkpoints>checkpoints,
<http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=48236#.WTEbABPyv-Y>walls,
and
<http://www.reuters.com/article/us-israel-palestinians-shooting-un-idUSKCN0YW0Y5>permits.

Fifty years of
<https://www.hrw.org/news/2014/07/15/israel/palestine-unlawful-israeli-airstrikes-kill-civilians>bombings
and
<http://www.reuters.com/article/us-un-gaza-rights-idUSTRE78C59R20110913>blockades;
of
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7800985.stm>air
raids and
<https://www.equaltimes.org/fear-of-the-dark-the-crushing?lang=en#.WTEcAxPyv-Y>night
raids; of
<http://articles.latimes.com/2001/feb/22/news/mn-28553>“targeted
killings” and
<http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-1.530993>“human
shields”; of
<http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-1.773115>tortured
Palestinian kids.

Fifty years of
<https://www.hrw.org/report/2010/12/19/separate-and-unequal/israels-discriminatory-treatment-palestinians-occupied>racial
discrimination and
<http://www.miamiherald.com/latest-news/article1947883.html>ethnic
prejudice; of a
<https://www.hrw.org/news/2010/12/19/israel/west-bank-separate-and-unequal>“separate
but unequal” two-tier justice system for
Palestinians and Israelis; of
<http://www.haaretz.com/opinion/.premium-1.779748>military
courts and
<http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=50546#.WTEdlxPyv-Y>“administrative
detention.”

Fifty years of humiliation and subjugation; of
pregnant Palestinian women
<http://www.thelancet.com/pb/assets/raw/Lancet/abstracts/palestine/palestine2011-4.pdf>giving
birth at checkpoints; of Palestinian cancer
patients
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/world/occupied/palestinian-cancer-patients-best-hope-as-the-israeli-occupation-turns-50/?utm_term=.d2ef8c314a08>denied
access to radiation therapy; of Palestinian
footballers
<http://www.newsweek.com/palestinians-cancel-cup-final-after-israel-bars-gaza-players-west-bank-entry-485417>prevented
from reaching their matches.

Fifty years of pointless negotiations and failed
peace plans:
<http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/originals/2016/03/israel-allon-plan-palestinian-land-grab.html>Allon,
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/june/25/newsid_2561000/2561151.stm>Rogers,
<https://unispal.un.org/DPA/DPR/unispal.nsf/0/5FB09709F4050B8985256CED007390D8>Fahd,
<http://www.nytimes.com/1982/09/11/world/fez-plan-called-victory-for-the-arab-moderates.html>Fez,
<http://www.nytimes.com/1982/09/03/world/israel-rejects-reagan-plan-for-palestinians-self-rule-terms-it-serious-danger.html?pagewanted=all>Reagan,
<https://history.state.gov/milestones/1989-1992/madrid-conference>Madrid,
<https://history.state.gov/milestones/1993-2000/oslo>Oslo,
<http://content.time.com/time/specials/2007/article/0,28804,1644149_1644147_1644132,00.html>Wye
River,
<http://content.time.com/time/specials/2007/article/0,28804,1644149_1644147_1644135,00.html>Camp
David,
<http://content.time.com/time/specials/2007/article/0,28804,1644149_1644147_1644141,00.html>Taba,
<http://content.time.com/time/specials/2007/article/0,28804,1644149_1644147_1644142,00.html>Red
Sea,
<https://www.theguardian.com/world/2007/nov/27/israel.usa1>Annapolis.
What did they deliver for the occupied
Palestinians? Aside from settlements,
settlements, and
<https://www.ft.com/content/13786bba-ed46-11e6-930f-061b01e23655>more
settlements? Consider: In 1992, a year before the
Oslo peace process began,
<http://www.palestinechronicle.com/report-illegal-israeli-settlers-to-reach-800000-in-occupied-territories-in-2017/>West
Bank settlements covered 77 kilometers and housed
248,000 Israeli settlers. By 2016, those
settlements covered 197 kilometers and the number
of settlers living in them had more than tripled to 763,000.

These settlements have rendered the
much-discussed “two-state solution” almost
impossible. The occupied West Bank has been
carved up into a series of
<https://www.theguardian.com/world/2004/apr/26/comment>bantustans,
cut off from each other and the wider world. The
settlers are not going anywhere, anytime soon.
They are Israel’s “facts on the ground.” To
ignore them is to ignore perhaps the biggest
obstacle to ending the occupation. “It’s like you
and I are negotiating over a piece of pizza,” the
Palestinian-American lawyer and former adviser to
the PLO, Michael Tarazi, explained in 2004. “How
much of the pizza do I get? And how much do you
get? And while we are negotiating it, you are eating it.”

It wasn’t just the 1967 war that was launched on
a lie; so too was the occupation that began after
it. It was never supposed to be temporary, nor
were the Palestinians ever supposed to get their
land back. If Israel had planned to withdraw from
the Occupied Territories, as some of its
supporters suggest, then why was the first
settlement in the West Bank,
<http://articles.latimes.com/2009/jun/28/opinion/oe-gorenberg28>Kfar
Etzion, established less than four months after
the Six-Day War, in defiance of
<http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/israelis-were-warned-on-illegality-of-settlements-in-1967-memo-6106920.html>“top-secret”
advice from the Israeli Foreign Ministry’s legal
adviser that “civilian settlement” in the
territories would contravene “the explicit
provisions of the Fourth Geneva Convention”? Why
has it revoked the residency rights of hundreds
of thousands of Palestinians from Gaza and the
West Bank over the past 50 years? Why has the
Jewish state spent the past five decades
<https://www.welt.de/debatte/the-world-in-words/article8915402/The-Phantom-Middle-East-Peace-Process.html>exploiting
the charade of a “peace process” to gobble up
more Palestinian land and build more illegal
settlements? The truth is that the Jewish state,
from the very beginning, “used negotiations as a
smokescreen to advance its colonial project,” to
borrow a line from imprisoned Palestinian
militant and activist
<https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/oct/11/israel-occupation-palestinian-territory-peace-diplomacy>Marwan
Barghouti. Fifty years on, it is time for both
the Palestinian leadership and the international
community to stop pretending otherwise.

The legendary Israeli general and Defense
Minister Moshe Dayan, who was one of the
architects of Israel’s victory in 1967 and was
adamant that the country should hold onto the
territories it had seized, best summed up the
cynical attitude of Israeli governments of both
right and left over the past five decades. “The
only peace negotiations,”
<https://books.google.com/books?id=KZ6gkiJLR4wC&pg=PT104&lpg=PT104&dq=dayan+shlomo+%E2%80%9Care+those+where+we+settle+the+land+and+we+build,+and+we+settle,+and+from+time+to+time+we+go+to+war.%E2%80%9D&source=bl&ots=4thcV8do3C&sig=rg4dGA4vtcgUxEEWcWNJXkgKC8c&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiHiqa-357UAhWFTSYKHTC4CuoQ6AEIJDAA#v=onepage&q=dayan%20shlomo%20%E2%80%9Care%20those%20where%20we%20settle%20the%20land%20and%20we%20build%2C%20and%20we%20settle%2C%20and%20from%20time%20to%20time%20we%20go%20to%20war.%E2%80%9D&f=false>pronounced
Dayan, when asked about the possibility of a
peace deal with the Palestinians in November
1970, “are those where we settle the land and we
build, and we settle, and from time to time we go to war.”

Top photo: Israeli soldiers search Jordanian
prisoners during mopping up operations in the old
city of Jerusalem on June 8, 1967, as the city
came under Jewish control during the Six-Day War.

So much emphasis is placed on select Jewish
participation in Bormann companies that when
Adolf Eichmann was seized and taken to Tel Aviv
to stand trial, it produced a shock wave in the
Jewish and German communities of Buenos Aires.
Jewish leaders informed the Israeli authorities
in no uncertain terms that this must never happen
again because a repetition would permanently
rupture relations with the Germans of Latin
America, as well as with the Bormann
organization, and cut off the flow of Jewish
money to Israel. It never happened again, and the
pursuit of Bormann quieted down at the request of
these Jewish leaders. He is residing in an
Argentinian safe haven, protected by the most
efficient German infrastructure in history as
well as by all those whose prosperity depends on his well-being.
<http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fspitfirelist.com%2Fbooks%2Fmartin-bormann-nazi-in-exile%2F&h=eAQErj17O>http://spitfirelist.com/books/martin-bormann-nazi-in-exile/