UK on verge of second traveller revolution? Two voices from the 1970s/80s

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Thu Aug 16 00:30:38 BST 2018

UK on verge of second traveller revolution? Asking the experts from
the 1970s/80s
Series:
<http://www.radio4all.net/index.php/series/Bristol+Broadband+Co-operative>Bristol
Broadband Co-operative
Subtitle: Bristol-based 'Grandparents for a Safe Earth'
Program Type: <http://www.radio4all.net/index.php/filter/type/2>Weekly Program
Featured Speakers/Commentators:
Contributor:
<http://www.radio4all.net/index.php/contributor/2149>Bristol
Broadband
Co-operative
[<http://www.radio4all.net/index.php/contributor/2149/contact/>Contact
Contributor]
Broadcast Restrictions: No excerpting/modifying without permission.
License: Attribution No Derivatives (by-nd)
<http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/3.0/>
[]

Broadcast Advisory: Warning: Program may contain strong or
potentially offensive language, including possible FCC violations.

http://www.radio4all.net/index.php/program/98859

attack on hundreds of travellers in convoy toward Stonehenge
festival, Andy Worthington and traveller Sean join us to discuss the
social and political reasons why the UK's 1970s and 1980s 'New Age'
travellers appeared when they did.
Sean trained as an HGV mechanic so was helping maintain many
vehicles, he describes life on the road, the practicalities of moving
night after night and relations with neighbours and the police. Sean
was at important festivals such as 'Nostell Priory'. Ultimately the
traveller convoy was part of a wider 'movement' against the changes
being brought in by the Thatcher government, forced repeated
evictions by landowners and, since they had been forced out of
permanent 'bricks and mortar' homes to live out of vehicles, was
about land rights and property.
Nostell Priory festival 1984
http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/theakstons-nostell-priory.html
On June 1st 1985, a convoy of new travellers, peace protestors, green
activists and festival-goers set off from Savernake Forest in
Wiltshire to establish the 12th annual free festival at Stonehenge.
There were around 450 people in total, and they included a number of
women and children.
They never reached their destination.
Eight miles from the Stones they were ambushed, assaulted and
arrested with unprecedented brutality by a quasi-military police
force of over 1,300 officers drawn from six counties and the MoD.
That event has gone down in history as 'The Battle of the Beanfield'.
This book is the combined effort of a large number of people who feel
passionately that only through reaching an understanding of what
actually occurred before, during and after 'The Battle of the
Beanfield' can a proper 'closure' take place for those involved and
the many people who have been in some way touched by it.
http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/battle-of-the-beanfield/

Grandparents for a Safe Earth
We are a network of grandparents and elders who care deeply about the
world our descendants will inherit.
We have learned that the current plans of energy companies and
governments will, if not radically changed, put our grandchildren's
future at risk. According to the UN Intergovernmental Panel on
Climate Change report for 2013, climate change is being caused
primarily by fossil fuel emissions.
We want the Earth's eco-systems to be kept as intact as possible,
thus giving security and well-being to those who follow us.
We want to leave behind us social structures and cultures which
acknowledge our primary dependence upon the Earth.
https://network23.org/gfase/who-we-are-2/

download
http://www.radio4all.net/files/tony@cultureshop.org.uk/2149-1-Dialect15Aug2018TX.mp3