George Monbiot: guardian of corporate-sanctioned consensus?

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Sat Oct 20 21:06:02 BST 2018

In a 2014
<https://zcomm.org/znetarticle/george-monbiot-the-lefts-mccarthy/>essay,
the journalist Jonathan Cook called Monbiot “the
left’s McCarthy,” and wrote that Monbiot “is not
a guardian of our moral consciences, as he likes
to think, but a guardian of the outer limits of
corporate-sanctioned consensus.”

https://21stcenturywire.com/2018/10/18/the-guardians-alarming-recent-record-of-propaganda-misinformation-and-slander/

The Guardian’s Alarming Recent Record of Propaganda, Misinformation and Slander

OCTOBER 18, 2018 BY
<https://21stcenturywire.com/author/21wire/>21WIRE
<https://21stcenturywire.com/2018/10/18/the-guardians-alarming-recent-record-of-propaganda-misinformation-and-slander/#disqus_thread>9
COMMENTS

<https://21stcenturywire.com/2018/10/18/the-guardians-alarming-recent-record-of-propaganda-misinformation-and-slander/gm/>
[]

George Monbiot.

Rainer Shea
<https://medium.com/@rainershea/the-guardians-alarming-recent-record-of-propaganda-misinformation-and-slander-c24a2df24154>Medium

As has often happened to progressive-minded
people who’ve reached a more radical point in
their political evolutions, I’ve become
disillusioned with many organizations, leaders
and media sources that I used to rely on. One of
these dubious sources is The Guardian.

At first, it seemed to me like The Guardian is a
good alternative to the American mainstream media
outlets. It’s often featured quality articles
about subjects like climate change, and its
columnist George Monbiot is the one who first
<https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/apr/15/neoliberalism-ideology-problem-george-monbiot>taught
me what the term “neoliberal” means. But this
good material is what gives a feel of reliability
to the misleading claims that The Guardian very often puts out.

And Monbiot himself has been one of The
Guardian’s main sources of these claims. In a
2014
<https://zcomm.org/znetarticle/george-monbiot-the-lefts-mccarthy/>essay,
the journalist Jonathan Cook called Monbiot “the
left’s McCarthy,” and wrote that Monbiot “is not
a guardian of our moral consciences, as he likes
to think, but a guardian of the outer limits of a
corporate-sanctioned consensus.” Cook provided
good reasons for these characterizations; when
the scholars Ed Herman and David Peterson argued
that recent conflicts in Rwanda and the Balkans
have been falsely characterized as “genocides” to
benefit Western narratives, Monbiot wrote a 2011
column in The Guardian denouncing these scholars as genocide deniers.

This was an accusation that lacked nuance, since
Herman and Peterson did not deny the deaths that
had happened in the conflicts. And the extreme
nature of Monbiot’s intellectual attack on Herman
and Peterson hinted at how Monbiot would approach similar issues in the future.

I’m referring to Monbiot’s coverage of Syria in
the last eight years. In 2011, Monbiot
<https://timhayward.wordpress.com/2018/04/11/how-we-were-misled-about-syria-george-monbiot-of-the-guardian/>used
two expat businessmen and one British man as his
personal consultants over whether the West should
impose sanctions on Syria-while the opinions of
the Syrian people were completely ignored. This
journalistic practice was biased to say the
least, and it indicated that Monbiot would stay
within official Western narratives in his reporting on Syria.

Monbiot has since consistently pushed narratives
about Assad’s government that help advance the
U.S./NATO empire’s goals for Syrian intervention.
In 2014, Monbiot
<https://timhayward.wordpress.com/2018/04/11/how-we-were-misled-about-syria-george-monbiot-of-the-guardian/>wrote
a column in The Guardian which characterized an
al-Qaeda fighter’s act of terrorism as an “act of
extraordinary courage” because the fighter had
targeted an Assad-controlled prison. In November
2016, Monbiot
<https://timhayward.wordpress.com/2018/04/11/how-we-were-misled-about-syria-george-monbiot-of-the-guardian/>tweeted
that Assad and Putin had been carrying out a
“destruction in Aleppo” when there had been no
massacre in Aleppo, and when the rebel fighters
were allowed to leave with their families and
their weapons. And whenever Monbiot’s fellow
journalists have questioned Assad’s role in
Syrian chemical incidents, Monbiot has
<https://dissidentvoice.org/2018/01/monbiot-is-a-hypocrite-and-a-bully/>attacked
them in the same aggressive and closed-minded way
he attacked Herman and Peterson.

But I’m not basing my overall judgement of The
Guardian off of the behavior of just one of their
columnists, nor off of the fact that I don’t
always agree with what The Guardian publishes.
The paper has not just featured material that’s
biased towards Western pro-imperialist
narratives, but has repeatedly featured material
that uses dishonest framing or even outright
misinformation in order to argue for those narratives.

One example of this is an
<https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/dec/18/syria-white-helmets-conspiracy-theories>article
from last December by The Guardian’s Olivia
Solon, titled “How Syria’s White Helmets became
victims of an online propaganda machine.” As
others have
<https://21stcenturywire.com/2017/12/21/uk-column-deconstructs-olivia-solons-russia-white-helmets-conspiracy-guardian-article/>pointed
out, the piece seems to be carefully crafted so
as to influence readers’ beliefs without giving
any real evidence for its claims. It starts with
unsupported characterizations of White Helmets
skeptics as Russian propagandists, only cites
“positive international recognition” of the White
Helmets as evidence for the White Helmets’
legitimacy, and uses several supposedly
authoritative but actually unreliable sources to
paint a vague picture of “agitation propaganda”
in relation to the White Helmets.

The telling part of this article is that it
deliberately doesn’t include the arguments of the
people it accuses of being Russian agents. It
doesn’t mention the fact that the White Helmets
are
<https://www.alternet.org/grayzone-project/white-helmets-assisting-public-executions-rebel-held-syria>shown
to have recruited jihadist sympathizers in
multiple instances, or that the witnesses to
Syrian disasters have
<https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lC7ZxdFzdzQ>said
that the White Helmets ignore most of the war
victims while only saving people when it’s
convenient for them to film it, or that terrorist
leaders have
<https://www.alternet.org/grayzone-project/white-helmets-assisting-public-executions-rebel-held-syria>openly
praised the White Helmets as allies in the fight to overthrow Assad.

This omission of the larger picture shows the
manipulative nature of the piece; someone who
hasn’t heard about these problems with the White
Helmets will very likely be swayed by this
slickly presented assertion that the White
Helmets are the victims of a smear campaign.

There have been many other instances of The
Guardian engaging in similar kinds of
disingenuous propaganda. So much that in 2015, a
series of people around the world started an
independent site named Off-Guardian.org that’s
been mainly dedicated to exposing the false
claims that the paper’s editors allow for.

Off-Guardian has been able to point out quite a
lot of lapses in the paper’s journalistic
integrity. For instance, The Guardian recently
made a video wherein Owen Jones toured around
London to point at properties that are owned by
Russians. The message of the video is undeniably
<https://off-guardian.org/2018/09/17/three-point-failure-the-guardians-campaign-against-dirty-russian-money/>xenophobic
and racist, because it denounces the properties
as “dirty” purely because they’re owned by people from Russia.

As Off-Guardian has also
<https://off-guardian.org/2018/09/12/guardian-continues-shameless-misinformation-campaign-against-nicaragua/>found,
The Guardian’s recent coverage of Nicaragua has
been deeply misleading. In a column from last
month, the paper
<https://off-guardian.org/2018/09/12/guardian-continues-shameless-misinformation-campaign-against-nicaragua/>claimed
that President Ortega had “expelled a UN human
rights mission after it published a report
denouncing government repression” when Ortega had
done no such thing, and when he’d even invited
the UN team. The article also claimed that the
anti-Ortega Sandinista Renovation Movement has
been “outlawed,” when it’s simply failed to gain
enough votes to qualify for the legal status as a
political party. These and The Guardian’s other
misrepresentations of the events in Nicaragua
have served to create public support for
Western-led regime change in Nicaragua, not to
report on the truth about the issue.

Out of these and
<https://off-guardian.org/#OnGuardian>still many
other cases of dishonest reporting by The
Guardian, there have been some which rise to the
level of journalistic malpractice.

<https://off-guardian.org/2018/09/24/craig-murray-the-guardian-tells-deliberate-lies-about-assange-and-alleged-russia-ties/>According
to the journalist Craig Murray, The Guardian told
“deliberate lies” about WikiLeaks in its
<https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/sep/21/julian-assange-russia-ecuador-embassy-london-secret-escape-plan>piece
from last month titled “Revealed: Russia’s secret
plan to help Assange escape from UK.” Whereas the
article claimed that Russia wanted to transport
Assange from the Ecuadorian embassy and Assange
planned to live in Russia, Murray’s inside
information about the affair tells us that The
Guardian was outright fabricating its claims.
Here are some of the statements from Murray’s resulting blog post:

I was closely involved with Julian and with Fidel
Narvaez of the Ecuadorean Embassy at the end of
last year in discussing possible future
destinations for Julian. It is not only the case
that Russia did not figure in those plans, it is
a fact that Julian directly ruled out the
possibility of going to Russia as undesirable.
Fidel Narvaez told the Guardian that there was no
truth in their story, but the Guardian has
instead chosen to run with “four anonymous
sources” ­ about which sources it tells you no more than that.

Murray continues:

It is very serious indeed when a newspaper like
the Guardian prints a tissue of deliberate lies
in order to spread fake news on behalf of the
security services. I cannot find words eloquent
enough to express the depth of my contempt for
Harding and Katherine Viner, who have betrayed
completely the values of journalism. The aim of
the piece is evidently to add a further layer to
the fake news of Wikileaks’ (non-existent)
relationship to Russia as part of the “Hillary
didn’t really lose” narrative. I am, frankly, rather shocked.

Though after what we’ve also seen The Guardian do
this year, this shouldn’t shock us at all. On
April 19th, The Guardian published an
<https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/apr/19/russia-fake-news-salisbury-poisoning-twitter-bots-uk?CMP=share_btn_tw>article
by Heather Stewart which included the following paragraph:

One account, @Ian56789, was sending 100 posts a
day during a 12-day period from 7 April, and
reached 23 million users, before the account was
suspended. It focused on claims that the chemical
weapons attack on Douma had been falsified, using
the hashtag #falseflag. Another account,
@Partisangirl, reached 61 million users with
2,300 posts over the same 12-day period.

Stewart mentioned these accounts because she
claimed that they were automated accounts run by
the Russian government. This claim, sourced from
a supposedly reliable report by the UK
government, was completely false. The day after
Stewart’s piece was published, the man behind the
Ian56 persona
<https://medium.com/@caityjohnstone/the-guardian-is-committing-journalistic-malpractice-by-not-retracting-this-claim-96708fe43ac0>did
an interview on Sky News to prove his humanity.
Maram Susli, the woman behind the Partisan Girl
account, has also been
<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maram_Susli>long
known to be a real person. The Guardian has still
not edited this part of the article, nor has it
apologized to these people who it’s so blatantly slandered.

When The Guardian has recently carried out these
many journalistic offenses, and when it has yet
to walk back on them, the factual reporting that
it does should not make us see it as a reliable
source. Its mix of truth and falsehoods
essentially puts it on the same journalistic
level as
<https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2018/08/the-lasting-trauma-of-alex-joness-lies/566573/>Alex
Jones’ InfoWars, which also reports some facts
but is nonetheless distrusted because of the
dangerous disinformation that it frequently puts
out. It may be time to start treating these two
outlets with the same amount of caution.

How We Were Misled about Syria: George Monbiot of The Guardian

https://off-guardian.org/2018/04/13/how-we-were-misled-about-syria-george-monbiot-of-the-guardian/

by
<https://timhayward.wordpress.com/2018/04/11/how-we-were-misled-about-syria-george-monbiot-of-the-guardian/>Tim
Hayward 13 April 2018

[]

George Monbiot is an influential journalist, and
his words on Syria over the past seven years will
have carried weight in shaping public opinion.
Some critical readers, however, have been
concerned. For while Monbiot has declared himself
morally opposed to military intervention, and is
demonstrably aware of how the media can
manipulate news reports, he has repeatedly
published statements – in his weekly Guardian
column and on Twitter – that lend significant
support to key interventionist arguments. His
position is premised on acceptance of the
mainstream narrative about the war in Syria. Not
only does he defend this, in the face of serious
questions about it, he even criticises – at times
with some hostility – its questioners.

I have sought to understand the reasoning that
has brought Monbiot to the position he holds with
such apparent moral certainty and factual
assurance. This inquiry falls into three parts:
in the first I trace his public thinking about
Syria and the war until the end of 2016; in the
second I discuss some of his responses to critics
concerning the verifiability of knowledge claims
about certain events of 2017; in the third I
analyse more closely the moral stance that
Monbiot has adopted. In each part I show how the
public could have been misled about the basis and
morality of foreign policy on Syria.

Before 2011, Monbiot had not written about Syria,
but he had demonstrated awareness of United
States involvement in regime change interventions
elsewhere. In 2001 he had written about a
training camp in the United States that had for
55 years been turning out regime change
operatives, the number of whose victims dwarfed
those of officially designated terrorist
organisations
(‘<https://www.theguardian.com/world/2001/oct/30/afghanistan.terrorism19>Backyard
Terrorism’). In 2002 he wrote deploring how the
officially independent Organisation for the
Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) was in
reality vulnerable to manipulation by the US
State Department
(‘<https://www.theguardian.com/world/2002/apr/16/iraq.comment>Chemical
Coup d’Etat’).[1] In 2003 he foresaw that the USA
looked like invading other countries after Iraq,
and Syria was potentially high on the list. He
feared there might be
‘<http://www.monbiot.com/2003/04/01/no-way-out/>No
Way Out’ of instability and conflict in the
Middle East ‘until the oil runs out.’

Nor was he under any illusion that the choice of
US presidents would ever be other than between
‘<https://www.theguardian.com/world/2004/aug/17/uselections2004.usa2>The
Bad or the Terrible’. For none was very likely to
‘take on the corporations which have bought the
elections, and challenge the newspapers and
television stations which set the limits of political debate.’[2]

In sum, Monbiot’s writings prior to 2011 indicate
a clear awareness of the US having the means, the
opportunity, and a motive to stimulate a regime
change war in Syria. One would expect this
awareness to provide some critical perspective on
events as reported by those media organisations
that, as he says, ‘set the limits of political
debate’. One would also expect his intimate
acquaintance with the British establishment to
leave him under no illusions about the depth of
transatlantic synergies in matters of war.