Seeking TV interviewees on housing crisis - Firecracker films

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Wed Oct 31 20:44:03 GMT 2018

Dear all,

I work for a company called Firecracker who have been commissioned to
make a reputational series for Channel W. In this immersive
documentary series, Stacey Dooley will explore a cross-section of
society by spending 72 hours in the company of six unique households.

Channel W is a Freeview channel part of UKTV, it's focused on family,
lifestyle and human interest topics. It's trying to grow its
reputation for documentaries which is why they are doing a series
with Stacey Dooley. I expect we can pay a small location fee if we
went to film with a family in a van but that is much further down the
line. At this stage, this is about people sharing their story and
just helping my research at the moment.

To me this is a story about the housing crisis and cuts to welfare:
people in vans are empowered and taking things into their own hands
rather than the victims of UC etc. that we typically see in the media
when looking at this topic. Van life could really be a viable way to
tackle the housing and benefits crisis and I think it could be really
interesting to explore this angle.

 From sleeping in the spare room to sharing family meals and going on
outings, she will get involved in every aspect of their lives in a
bid to understand them and the community they represent. The series
will cover the universal themes of modern British life, exploring our
attitudes to love, relationships, religion, parenting and money.
Honest and insightful, the series will reveal the things that make us
different but also the things that we all have in common.

I would love to speak to van dwelling families as part of my
research. I'd like to get an understanding of what daily life looks
like to a family who have decided to take their housing situation
into their own hands rather than be at the mercy of unaffordable
debts, greedy private landlords and scarce council housing. There are
so many headlines about Austerity Britain I'd really like to cover a
story from an empowered perspective. If vans are a becoming a more
viable option for British people to call home, what does that tell us
about the state of the nation?

  Firecracker make award-winning documentaries and factual TV about
human stories at the cutting edge. Uncovering unique ways of life and
intimate moments, the films we make are insightful and tell us
something about modern society.

https://www.firecrackerfilms.com/tv-production/

If you need any other information or have any other questions then
please do get in touch.

Best Wishes,

Sophie Grant - Firecracker films
<Sophie.Grant at FirecrackerFilms.com>