UN Climate Report: Change Land Use To Arable To Avoid A Hungry Future?

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Sat Aug 10 12:47:02 BST 2019

UN Climate Report: Change Land Use To Arable To Avoid A Hungry Future?

http://tlio.org.uk/un-climate-report-change-land-use-to-arable-to-avoid-a-hungry-future/
<http://tlio.org.uk/un-climate-report-change-land-use-to-arable-to-avoid-a-hungry-future/>10Aug2019
- <http://tlio.org.uk/author/tony/>TONY GOSLING -
<http://tlio.org.uk/un-climate-report-change-land-use-to-arable-to-avoid-a-hungry-future/#respond>LEAVE
A COMMENT

[NOTE: Arable is a more efficient use of land,
food health, protein and calorie wise, than
livestock farming except on marginal land like
hills. So for that reason alone the UN are heading in the right direction.
But hunger has little to do with land use or
climate, its much more about
<http://tlio.org.uk/aims-2/>land ownership and
the financial system, incentives and subsidies. ed. TG]

UN climate report: Change land use to avoid a hungry future

<https://www.apnews.com/afb6990efd7c437da19c6d4d9976899c>BY
SETH BORENSTEIN and JAMEY KEATEN August 8, 2019
<https://www.apnews.com/afb6990efd7c437da19c6d4d9976899c>
[]

GENEVA (AP) ­ Human-caused climate change is
dramatically degrading the Earth’s land and the
way people use the land is making global warming
worse, a new United Nations
scientific<https://www.ipcc.ch/report/srccl/>
report says. That creates a vicious cycle which
is already making food more expensive, scarcer and less nutritious.
“The cycle is accelerating,” said NASA climate
scientist Cynthia Rosenzweig, a co-author of the
report. “The threat of climate change affecting
people’s food on their dinner table is increasing.”
But if people change the way they eat, grow food
and manage forests, it could help save the planet
from a far warmer future, scientists said.
Earth’s land masses, which are only 30% of the
globe, are warming twice as fast as the planet as
a whole. While heat-trapping gases are causing
problems in the atmosphere, the land has been
less talked about as part of climate change. A
special report, written by more than 100
scientists and unanimously approved by diplomats
from nations around the world Thursday at a
meeting in Geneva, proposed possible fixes and made more dire warnings.

“The way we use land is both part of the problem
and also part of the solution,” said Valerie
Masson-Delmotte, a French climate scientist who
co-chairs one of the panel’s working groups.
“Sustainable land management can help secure a future that is comfortable.”

Scientists at Thursday’s press conference
emphasized both the seriousness of the problem
and the need to make societal changes soon.

“We don’t want a message of despair,” said
science panel official Jim Skea, a professor at
Imperial College London. “We want to get across
the message that every action makes a difference.”

Still the stark message hit home hard for some of the authors.

“I’ve lost a lot of sleep about what the science
is saying. As a person, it’s pretty scary,” Koko
Warner, a manager in the U.N. Climate Change
secretariat who helped write a report chapter on
risk management and decision-making, told The
Associated Press after the report was presented
at the World Meteorological
Organization<https://public.wmo.int/en>
headquartersin Geneva. “We need to act urgently.”

The report said climate change already has
worsened land degradation, caused deserts to
grow, permafrost to thaw and made forests more
vulnerable to drought, fire, pests and disease.
That’s happened even as much of the globe has
gotten greener because of extra carbon dioxide in
the air. Climate change has also added to the
forces that have reduced the number of species on Earth.

“Climate change is really slamming the land,”
said World Resources Institute researcher Kelly
Levin, who wasn’t part of the study.

And the future could be worse.

“The stability of food supply is projected to
decrease as the magnitude and frequency of
extreme weather events that disrupt food chains increases,” the report said.

In the worst-case scenario, food security
problems change from moderate to high risk with
just a few more tenths of a degree of warming
from now. They go from high to “very high” risk
with just another 1.8 degrees Fahrenheit (1
degree Celsius) of warming from now.

“The potential risk of multi-breadbasket failure
is increasing,” NASA’s
<https://www.giss.nasa.gov/staff/crosenzweig.html>Rosenzweigsaid.
“Just to give examples, the crop yields were
effected in Europe just in the last two weeks.”

Scientists had long thought one of the few
benefits of higher levels of carbon dioxide, the
major heat-trapping gas, was that it made plants
grow more and the world greener, Rosenzweig said.
But numerous studies show that the high levels of
carbon dioxide reduce protein and nutrients in many crops.

For example, high levels of carbon in the air in
experiments show wheat has 6% to 13% less
protein, 4% to 7% less zinc and 5% to 8% less iron, she said.

But better farming practices ­ such as no-till
agricultural and better targeted fertilizer
applications ­ have the potential to fight global
warming too, reducing carbon pollution up to 18%
of current emissions levels by 2050, the report said.

If people change their diets, reducing red meat
and increasing plant-based foods, such as fruits,
vegetables and seeds, the world can save as much
as another 15% of current emissions by
mid-century. It would also make people more healthy, Rosenzweig said.

The science panel said they aren’t telling people
what to eat because that’s a personal choice.

Still, Hans-Otto Pörtner, a panel leader from
Germany who said he lost weight and felt better
after reducing his meat consumption, told a
reporter that if she ate less ribs and more
vegetables “that’s a good decision and you will
help the planet reduce greenhouse gas emissions.”

Reducing food waste can fight climate change even
more. The report said that between 2010 and 2016,
global food waste accounted for 8% to 10% of heat-trapping emissions.

“Currently 25%-30% of total food produced is lost
or wasted,” the report said. Fixing that would
free up millions of square miles of land.

With just another 0.9 degrees F of warming (0.5
degrees C), which could happen in the next 10 to
30 years, the risk of unstable food supplies,
wildfire damage, thawing permafrost and water
shortages in dry areas “are projected to be high,” the report said.

At another 1.8 degrees F of warming (1 degree C)
from now, which could happen in about 50 years,
it said those risks “are projected to be very high.”

Most scenarios predict the world’s tropical
regions will have “unprecedented climatic
conditions by the mid-to-late 21st century,” the report noted.

Agriculture and forestry together account for
about 23% of the heat-trapping gases that are
warming the Earth, slightly less than from cars,
trucks, boats and planes. Add in transporting
food, energy costs, packaging and that grows to 37%, the report said.

But the land is also a great carbon “sink,” which
sucks heat-trapping gases out of the air.

 From about 2007 to 2016, agriculture and
forestry every year put 5.7 billion tons (5.2
billion metric tons) of carbon dioxide into the
air, but pulled 12.3 billion tons (11.2 billion metric tons) of it out.

“This additional gift from nature is limited.
It’s not going to continue forever,” said study
co-author Luis Verchot, a scientist at the
International Center for Tropical Agriculture in
Colombia. “If we continue to degrade ecosystems,
if we continue to convert natural ecosystems, we
continue to deforest and we continue to destroy
our soils, we’re going to lose this natural subsidy.”

Overall land emissions are increasing, especially
because of cutting down forests in the Amazon in
places such as Brazil, Colombia and Peru, Verchot said.

Recent forest
management<https://www.apnews.com/88a097ee5f574fd0bdf3b7a4e7e2b35f>
changes in Brazil “contradicts all the messages
that are coming out of the report,” Pörtner said.

Saying “our current way of living and our
economic system risks our future and the future
of our children,” Germany’s environment minister,
Svenja Schulze, questioned whether it makes sense
for a country like Germany to import large
amounts of soy from Latin America, where forests
are being destroyed to plant the crop, to feed
unsustainable numbers of livestock in Germany.

“We ought to recognize that we have profound
limits on the amount of land available and we
have to be careful about how we utilize it,” said
Stanford University environmental sciences chief
Chris Field, who wasn’t part of the report.