Tories ‘fanned flames of racism’ against Gypsy/Travellers in UK election campaign

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Sun Dec 15 12:34:56 GMT 2019

rarely mentioned is the fact that demonising
gypsies and travellers is always deployed by the
Tories because it does win votes - votes from
those coralled into deby-laden home ownership who
resent others - such as travellers - who aren't -
yes - the politics of envy - pushing a bankster
mortgage rentier landlord agenda - but this was
recognised after WWII in the UDHR as totally
unacceptable bullying of an ethnic minority and
must be hammered - called out under human rights
law and everywhere else....[TG]

Tories ‘fanned flames of racism’ against
Gypsy/Travellers in UK election campaign

http://tlio.org.uk/tories-accused-of-fanning-flames-of-racism-against-gypsy-travellers-in-2019-election-campaign/
https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/dark-money-investigations/tories-accused-of-fanning-flames-of-racism-against-gypsytravellers-ahead-of-uk-election/

‘They were demonising us to win cheap votes’ say
rights activists, as openDemocracy research
reveals ‘sickening’ rhetoric deployed by Conservatives across the country.

OpenDemocracy’s investigation into anti-Traveller
propaganda during the election has revealed that:
    * Cabinet Minister Michael Gove has listed
cracking down on “illegal traveller incursions” as a key election priority.
    * Tory candidates have promoted films on
Facebook which single out and criticise the
Traveller community, including one with Home
Secretary Priti Patel suggesting communities live “in fear” of Travellers.
    * Tory candidates have put opposition to
Gypsy and Traveller camps at the centre of their
campaigns – including support for new laws which
Traveller groups say are designed to criminalise them.
    * One Tory candidate, in Crewe and Nantwich,
led a demonstration against the local Gypsy/Traveller community.
    * Another Tory candidate in South West
Bedfordshire has backed proposals which,
according to a community spokesperson, amount to “forced assimilation”.
<https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/author/adam-ramsay/>Adam
Ramsay 10 December 2019

Home Secretary Priti Patel has promised to "crack
down" on traveller communities.

The Conservatives have been accused of “fanning
the flames of racism” against Gypsies, Roma and
Travellers ahead of the UK general election on Thursday.

The complaints come as openDemocracy research
reveals that Tory candidates across the country
have made inflammatory and discriminatory
statements about Gypsies, Roma and Travellers in their campaign material.

Labour and the SNP have described openDemocracy’s
findings as “disgusting” and the human rights
campaigner Peter Tatchell has said it is
“sickening to see them stir up prejudice against
vulnerable, disadvantaged Travellers.”

Accusing the Conservative party of trying to
“criminalise Gypsies to hide their own failures,”
Joe Jones, chair of the Gypsy Council said: “They
are using us the same as they do the immigrants
and everyone else: as cannon fodder for political favour.”

Meanwhile the Scottish Traveller advocate Davie
Donaldson said: “This is the worst election I
have ever seen in terms of rhetoric towards
Gypsy/Traveller people. The division coming out is causing real real worry.”

He added: “It’s a poison which infects the Conservative party.”

Senior Tory appointees not standing for election,
including the government’s anti-semitism tsar,
have also been accused of singling out Travellers as an ethnic group.

‘Legislative cleansing’

openDemocracy’s findings come after a series of
controversies about the Conservatives’ treatment
of the Gypsy, Roma and Traveller community. They
also come in the wake of
<https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/somerset-news/people-who-started-caravan-fires-3515159.amp>recent
attacks against Travellers.

Last month, Home Secretary Priti Patel announced
<https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/844954/Unauthorised_Encampments_-_consultation_paper.pdf>a
consultation on creating a new offence of
“trespassing while setting up an unauthorised
encampment” – an initiative which has been
described as
“<https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/nov/13/priti-patel-demonisation-gypsies-prejudice-bigotry>legislative
cleansing” by the journalist George Monbiot.

The legislation will, among other things, give
police powers to confiscate Traveller property,
and critics say it is specifically designed to
criminalise communities that have in many cases
used the land for longer than settled communities.

Asked by openDemocracy to respond to allegations
that the proposed new law is aimed at
“criminalising an ethnic group,” Home Secretary
Priti Patel said: “The public want their
communities protected and for the police to crack down on trespassers.”

“Our proposals aim to ensure that [unauthorised]
encampments can be challenged and removed as quickly as possible.”

A spokesperson for Ms Patel also highlighted the
Conservative manifesto, which states: “We will
tackle unauthorised traveller camps. We will give
the police new powers to arrest and seize the
property and vehicles of trespassers who set up
unauthorised encampments, in order to protect our
communities. We will make intentional trespass a criminal offence.”

Responding to the Home Office consultation, the
human rights group Friends, Families, and
Travellers,
<https://www.gypsy-traveller.org/campaign/fft-response-to-home-office-consultation-on-criminalising-trespass/>said:
“The proposals would have a devastating impact on
Gypsy and Traveller communities, who have been
part of British life since before the 16th
century, yet face some of the greatest
inequalities of any group in England and Wales.”

They added that the Priti Patel’s assertions
about unlawful behaviour in unauthorised
encampments “focus on the behaviour of a
minority, yet tar all Gypsies and Travellers with
the same brush. This is dangerous and discriminatory rhetoric.”

“It is no coincidence that this announcement
comes in the wake of a general election. If there
was a real appetite to address the issue of
unauthorised encampments, the government would
have invested in site provision. Yet, for over a
decade we have seen little to no progress in this
area. Criminalising families who have no place to go is inhumane and wrong.”

Leading anti-Traveller protests in key marginals

In the Labour-Tory marginal seat of Crewe and
Nantwich, the Conservative candidate Dr Keiran
Mullan has spent hundreds of pounds promoting two
separate videos on Facebook in which he
criticises the local Gypsy and Traveller
community for stopping on a park in Nantwich.

Dr Mullan has also been described by a local as
“spearheading” a campaign against Travellers
camping on the park, including leading a protest
in September which was attended by 250 people,
according to
<https://thenantwichnews.co.uk/2019/09/07/hundreds-at-barony-park-protest-as-cabinet-councillor-banned-from-communicating/>the
local paper.

In the videos, Mullan describes a Traveller
encampment on the park as “illegal”, despite the
fact that trespass isn’t a crime.

The human rights group Friends, Families and
Travellers has told openDemocracy that the claim
that Traveller encampments are illegal has long
been part of a strategy to vilify Gypsy and Traveller groups.

Speaking to openDemocracy, Dr Mullan said:
“Residents approached me to help them after
seeing a park that is a fantastic local amenity
being used repeatedly as camp site. It is not [a]
camp site. I couldn’t care less who is using it
as a camp site. No one should be. So I helped
them. Sorry if people are unhappy with that, but
that’s not something I can control.”

‘Communities should not be living in fear’

Marco Longhi, the Conservative candidate in the
key marginal seat of Dudley North,
<https://www.facebook.com/MarcoLonghi4DN/videos/526207924637287/>promoted
a video on Facebook featuring Home Secretary
Priti Patel and Dudley South candidate Mike Wood.

In the video, Patel says that Traveller camps
cause “a great deal of chaos and harm across our
communities,” adding “communities should not be
living in fear” and that they are “standing up for the law abiding majority”.

There is
<https://schools.essex.gov.uk/pupils/EMTAS%20Ethnic%20Minority%20and%20Traveller%20Achievement%20Service/Gypsy_Roma_Travellers/Documents/Common%20Myths%20-%20Gypsies%20and%20Travellers%20FFT.pdf>no
evidence to suggest that crime rates go up when Travellers move into an area.

Speaking to openDemocracy, Mike Wood said: “We
are also pushing hard for an authorised transit
site (on top of the semi-permanent traveller camp
that we have had in Dudley South for many
years),” and emphasised that his objection was to unauthorised encampments.

Meanwhile Conservative candidate in Wolverhampton
South West Stuart Anderson has opposed planning
permission for a Traveller site in his seat,
including appearing as
<https://www.expressandstar.com/news/2019/12/10/christmas-fair-raises-nearly-600-for-fight-against-traveller-site/>Father
Christmas at a fundraiser for a group leading
objection to the site. Anderson has not replied to our request for comment.

And in another marginal seat, Conservative
Douglas Ross, who is re-standing to be MP for
Moray in the North East of Scotland, was forced
to apologise for saying in 2017 that anti-Gypsy
policies would be
“<https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-scotland-41051190/tory-mp-douglas-ross-apologises-for-gypsy-traveller-comments>his
number one priority” if he were prime minister for a day.

‘It’s like a disease’

In May this year, Mole Valley
MP<https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/all-about/sir-paul-beresford>
Sir Paul Beresford opened an Adjournment Debate
in parliament
<https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/surrey-mp-defends-traveller-comments-16205039>by
saying: "We're now in what we call the summer
Traveller season, it's like a disease."

Sir Paul said his part of Surrey was "attractive
to Travellers from afar, and many of those come with a distinct Irish accent".

Writing about the incident, the local media
outlet Surrey Live
<https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/sir-paul-beresford-should-forced-16208822>criticised
the MP: “When we start using terms like ‘disease’
to describe an entire ethnic group because of the
actions of some members of that community, we
feed into the sort of intolerance that can turn into something more sinister.”

Mr Beresford did not respond to our request for comment.

Michael Gove: Cracking down on crime
 and Travellers

Michael Gove, the Chancellor of the Duchy of
Lancaster, has singled out Travellers in a bullet
point about crime on his campaign materials, but
hasn’t referred to any other ethnic group. In his
leaflet, Gove pledges “cracking down on crime,
dealing with anti-social behaviour, theft, and
burglary, and illegal traveller incursions”:

Similarly, Dr James Davies, Conservative
candidate for the Vale of Clwyd constituency, has
pledged to “Oppose controversial Gypsy and
Traveller sites” on a leaflet in his constituency.

Neither Mr Gove nor Mr Davies has responded to our request for comment.

‘Forced assimilation’

At least three other Conservative candidates have
made criticism of Traveller communities a central feature of their campaigns.

The Conservative candidate in Bristol North West
ran a story on his website with the headline
“Conservatives push
<https://www.markweston.org.uk/news/conservatives-push-new-approach-tackling-travellers>new
approach to tackling Travellers”. Meanwhile
Conservative candidates
<https://www.andrewselous.org.uk/>Andrew Selous
in South West Bedfordshire and Alex Burghart in
Brentwood and Ongar have been vocal in their
support for legal reforms which opponents say
will criminalise Gypsy and Traveller communities.

Andrew Selous also last year proposed a bill
which Traveller groups say would have amounted to
“forced assimilation” of the Traveller community.

In the bill, Selous pushed for caravan sites to
be converted to “settled accommodation,” for
unauthorised encampments to become a criminal
offence and for local authorities to be released
from the obligation to provide sites for Gypsies and Travellers.

Asked about his support for Priti Patel’s
proposed new law, Burghart said: “I am
campaigning to reduce unauthorised developments
encampments regardless of who is responsible for
them.” Andrew Selous has not responded to our request for comment.

Anti-Semitism tsar ‘legendary for his anti-Gypsyism’

Other senior government appointees who are not
standing for election this week have also come
under criticism about this issue.

In September, the government appointed the former
Labour MP John Mann, as a anti-semitism tsar,
appointing him as a cross bench peer. He retains his Labour party membership.

Mann has been criticised for an
“<https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/labourclp50/pages/122/attachments/original/1432291825/John_Mann_anti-social_behaviour_handbook.pdf?1432291825>anti-social
behaviour handbook” he produced in 2007 which
discussed problems including ‘Travellers’ and
highlighted in bold and red: “The Police have
powers to remove any gypsies or Travellers”. In
correspondence seen by openDemocracy, the police
officer involved referred to the matter as a potential “hate incident”.

On at
<https://www.worksopguardian.co.uk/news/village-fight-travellers-plan-1-630422>least
two
<https://www.worksopguardian.co.uk/news/controversial-permanent-travellers-site-plan-rejected-again-1-7735172/amp>occasions
Mann has opposed a Traveller site in his
constituency, encouraging residents to “protest
profusely”. In 2009, Mann
<https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200809/cmgeneral/eastmid/090909/9090901.htm>complained
in parliament that his constituency would have
more Traveller sites than neighbouring areas.
Lord Mann said to openDemocracy “there were many
more suitable sites in Bassetlaw and nearby.... I
identified a range of possible alternative sites to the council”.

Richard Bennett, who co-runs the organisation
Gypsy Life and who lives in Mann’s former
constituency, Bassetlaw, told openDemocracy that
Mann is “legendary for anti-Gypsyism.”

He added: “The fact that the Tory Party has
appointed someone with such a long track record
of anti-Gypsyism as their anti-Semitism tsar just
shows their disgusting attitude towards racism.”

Lord Mann said he’d received a “huge vote” from
the Gypsy/Traveller community when he was an MP
and that “no complaints were made” about how he’d
represented them, adding “I also represented
constituents on allegations of anti
Gypsy/Traveller behaviour.” Mann said he opposed
the sites because they were in unsuitable
locations, that the Bennetts are political
opponents of his and that he’d represented the
interests of Travellers on many occasions.

He also said the controversial booklet had been
endorsed by Nottinghamshire police, and by Gordon
Brown when he was prime minister in 2009, and
that he regretted the highlighted portion of the
pamphlet. He added that the police dismissed the
complaint made against him in 2017.

Eric Pickles, UK envoy for post-holocaust
affairs. | Image, Charles Ashburner, Wikimedia Commons.

Other high-profile government appointees have
also come under criticism for their stance
against Gypsy and Traveller communities. In
September 2015, Eric Pickles was
<https://www.gov.uk/government/news/sir-eric-pickles-announced-as-uk-envoy-on-post-holocaust-issues>appointed
UK Special Envoy for Post-Holocaust Issues by
David Cameron’s government. (Five hundred
thousand Gypsies were murdered in the Holocaust.)

In January of the same year, Pickles, in his role
as Secretary of State for Communities and Local
Government, had been
<http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Admin/2015/44.html>found
in the High Court to have breached the human
rights of Gypsies and Travellers by
discriminating against them in the planning
process, specifically calling Gypsy and Traveller
planning applications in from planning
departments where other ethnic groups didn’t face the same treatment.

Lord Pickles has not responded to openDemocracy’s request for comment.

Fire in Somerset

Footage of one of the fires. | Image: Kimberley Jade Keen

Last month three caravans on Traveller sites in
Glastonbury, Somerset caught fire within the
space of a week. Speaking to
<https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/somerset-news/people-who-started-caravan-fires-3515159>Somerset
Live, a spokesperson for the Glastonbury
community council said that “if reports of
deliberate sabotage are correct”, then those
responsible were “risking people’s lives”.

In 2017, the local MP, James Heappey had asked
Theresa May at Prime Minister’s Questions to take
<https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2017-09-13/debates/6C56012C-93A3-4D4F-8507-6AA0973B2F63/Engagements>action
against an “endless stream of illegal (sic) Traveller encampments”.

Contacted by openDemocracy, Mr Heappey’s office
said he wouldn’t comment on the incident as there
is an ongoing criminal investigation, but went on
to repeat unsubstantiated local rumours about the
victims of the crime, saying “the word locally”
is that the people who lived in the caravans were
engaged in “criminal” and “drug related activity”.

The victims of the fires could not be contacted
to respond to these unsubstantiated rumours. Avon
and Somerset Police said that they had no
evidence to suggest that the fires were the result of anti-Traveller hate.

Dignity and respect

Commenting on openDemocracy’s research, Kate
Green, the Labour candidate in Stetford and
Urmstone and a campaigner for Gypsy and Traveller rights, said:

“I'm disgusted at these attitudes to Travellers.
Everyone has the right to be treated with dignity
and respect, and Romany Gypsies and Irish
Travellers are recognised as ethnic groups under
the Equality Act 2010, meaning they're legally
protected against race discrimination.”

“Proposals to criminalise trespass are unfair,
are opposed by the police, and will prove
counterproductive when the real problem is a
shortage of legal stopping places made worse by Tory planning rules.”

Tommy Shepherd, SNP candidate in Edinburgh East,
called our findings “disgusting but not surprising.”

“Rather than picking on Travellers, [the Tories]
ought to concentrate on trying to respect and
support their lifestyle, including finding means
for their enfranchisement in the democratic process.”

“Having canvassed my local Travellers sit myself,
I know for a fact that members of the community
are intensely interested in politics. Maybe it’s
time somebody listened to them rather than
engaging in this grotesque othering.”

Allan Hogarth, head of advocacy at Amnesty
International UK, said that: “Divisive language
used by any politician has a very real impact on
people’s lives all around the country.”

“We would urge all election candidates to choose
their words carefully, and to ensure they lead by
example by showing respect to all communities.”

And Win Lawless of Irish Community Care, which
works with Irish Travelling Communities, pleaded
with Tory politicians to change their language in
the final week of campaigning: “We ask that
people, Gypsies and Travellers with real lives;
families, grandparents, children, not be treated
as political footballs to benefit political
goals. All people from all communities will be
living side by side long after the 12th December”.

<https://support.opendemocracy.net/od?source=taggable-block-bottom>Urgent:
expose dark money in our politics

Dear readers across the world,

Brexit has shown how broken British democracy is,
with voters still in the dark about who bankrolls
the politicians and lobbyists deciding the country's future.

Years of tireless investigation by openDemocracy
have made some things painfully clear. Dark money
is putting sophisticated propaganda in billions
of social media feeds worldwide. The law and its
enforcers are lagging far behind new techniques
of digital manipulation. And only dedicated,
long-term investigative journalism will show you what is really going on.

Our work gets results – triggering law change,
criminal investigations and prompting global
debate. But we're a small non-profit journalism
outfit – no billionaire proprietor or paywall –
which is why we need ongoing support from readers to:

pay journalists fair and sustainable wages

provide our team with the tools and security they need to do their work safely

hire in the experts (forensic accountants,
lawyers, and digital analysts) to help us uncover the truth

We need your support to make all this happen.
Please contribute – it really does make a difference.

Mary Fitzgerald, Editor-in-Chief
<https://support.opendemocracy.net/od?source=taggable-block-bottom>DONATE NOW

On BBCQT one woman called out the Tories for
their sneaky ‘ethnic cleansing’ policy

https://www.thecanary.co/trending/2019/12/10/on-bbcqt-one-woman-called-out-the-tories-for-their-sneaky-ethnic-cleansing-policy/

On 9 December, the BBC held an Under 30s Special
edition of Question Time. One woman stole the
show. She asked the most pertinent question of
the night about one of the Tories’ sneakiest and
most dangerous manifesto policies.

“That’s ethnic cleansing”

When the discussion turned to housing, one young
woman
<https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000c6k0/question-time-2019-under-30s-special>asked:

Reading the Conservative manifesto, I was very,
very shocked and quite appalled to hear your
plans to do with Gypsies and Travellers
 in terms
of removing their homes from both private and public land.
The Canary

GET THE NEWS THAT REALLY MATTERS
<https://www.thecanary.co/trending/2019/12/10/on-bbcqt-one-woman-called-out-the-tories-for-their-sneaky-ethnic-cleansing-policy/#>Sign
me up

She was referring to a few sentences buried in
the manifesto. As The Canary previously
<https://www.thecanary.co/uk/analysis/2019/11/25/hidden-in-the-tory-manifesto-is-a-vile-and-racist-attack-they-hope-you-wont-notice/>reported,
this is allegedly part of the Conservative
Party’s plan to
<https://assets-global.website-files.com/5da42e2cae7ebd3f8bde353c/5dda924905da587992a064ba_Conservative%202019%20Manifesto.pdf#page=4>make
“our country safer”. It states:

We will tackle unauthorised traveller camps
 give
the police new powers to arrest and seize the
property and vehicles of trespassers who set up
unauthorised encampments, in order to protect our
communities
 [and] make intentional trespass a criminal offence.

<https://www.thecanary.co/author/thecanary/>The Canary , 14th December 2019

As the woman
<https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000c6k0/question-time-2019-under-30s-special>explained,
these new powers impact further on the existing
<https://www.thecanary.co/topics/homeless-crisis/>homeless crisis in the UK:

We already have 400,000 people
 living in
temporary accommodation, or street homeless, or
just unregistered homeless – living on sofas
 You
want to eradicate Gypsies and Travellers, by the
sounds of it
 but where are you actually planning on putting those people?

But she went even further to really call out the
truth about this vile policy
<https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000c6k0/question-time-2019-under-30s-special>saying:

As far as I see it, that’s ethnic cleansing
 And
it’s the last ‘acceptable’ racism
 you pull it
out before every single general election because
you know that it will be appealing to middle
England. And I’ve had enough of it!

So
 what’s the answer?

“She just destroyed the Tories”

Robert Jenrick, secretary of state for housing,
communities and local government, wasn’t able to
give a single, reasonable answer to her question.

Where do travellers go when there’s already a
housing crisis and
<https://www.thecanary.co/topics/homelessness/>homelessness
is
<https://ourworldindata.org/homelessness-rise-england>rising?
The number of
<https://www.thecanary.co/opinion/2018/03/02/hidden-homeless-small-words-big-problem/>hidden
homeless people is already almost impossible to
calculate. Jenrick also totally ignored the wider
threats this part of the manifesto poses to
members of the Gypsy, Roma and Traveller (GRT) communities.

If they return to power, the Conservatives plan
to give police
<https://www.thecanary.co/uk/analysis/2019/11/25/hidden-in-the-tory-manifesto-is-a-vile-and-racist-attack-they-hope-you-wont-notice/>new
powers of arrest, and can immediately seize
people’s homes. And as a 2017
<https://www.basw.co.uk/resources/last-acceptable-form-racism>report
found, this will be against minority groups who
already face daily “pervasive prejudice and discrimination”.

People from the travelling community applauded
this woman for raising awareness of this “hideous racist plan”:

[]
<https://www.rhombusads.com/?utm_source=network&utm_medium=1047650>
[]

<https://twitter.com/Votey_McVote>
[]

<https://twitter.com/Votey_McVote>Votey McVoteface at Votey_McVote

Ladies & gents I would like to welcome our a new
queen. She just destroyed the Tories on their
hideous racist plan to criminalise traveling
communities on
<https://twitter.com/hashtag/bbcqt?src=hash>#bbcqt
Described manifesto as ethnic
cleansing<https://twitter.com/GypsyTravellers>@GypsyTravellers
<https://twitter.com/LondonGypsyTrav>@LondonGypsyTrav
<https://twitter.com/TysonTraveller>@TysonTraveller
<https://twitter.com/CassiPerry4>@CassiPerry4
<https://twitter.com/RoadsideMum>@RoadsideMum

<https://twitter.com/Votey_McVote/status/1204159260499820544>22:01 - 9 Dec 2019
<https://support.twitter.com/articles/20175256>Twitter
Ads information and privacy

<https://twitter.com/Votey_McVote/status/1204159260499820544>26
people are talking about this
<https://www.rhombusads.com/?utm_source=network&utm_medium=1047650>
[]
[]

<https://twitter.com/RoadsideMum>
[]

<https://twitter.com/RoadsideMum>Roadside Mum at RoadsideMum

Lady challenges the Tory on the racist
<https://twitter.com/hashtag/Pogrom?src=hash>#Pogrom
to criminalise
<https://twitter.com/hashtag/Gypsy?src=hash>#Gypsy
<https://twitter.com/hashtag/Roma?src=hash>#Roma
&
<https://twitter.com/hashtag/Traveller?src=hash>#Traveller
people is a legend. I cannot express how utterly
relieved I am to see this vile
<https://twitter.com/hashtag/EthnicCleansing?src=hash>#EthnicCleansing
finally raised on <https://twitter.com/hashtag/BBCQT?src=hash>#BBCQT

I don't know her, but if you do, thank her for me, please.
-


<https://twitter.com/RoadsideMum/status/1204165462063558656>
Embedded video

<https://twitter.com/intent/like?tweet_id=1204165462063558656>3,014
<https://twitter.com/RoadsideMum/status/1204165462063558656>22:26 - 9 Dec 2019
<https://support.twitter.com/articles/20175256>Twitter
Ads information and privacy

<https://twitter.com/RoadsideMum/status/1204165462063558656>1,336
people are talking about this

This woman was absolutely right to call this
policy “ethnic cleansing”. Because attacks on GRT
communities also have a chilling legacy. The
Nazis, for example,
<https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/oct/27/nazi-directives-and-accounts-of-roma-genocide-go-on-display>murdered
“up to 500,000 Roma” during the Holocaust. And as
far-right populism
<https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/roma-antiziganist-romani-discrimination-italy-matteo-salvini-ukraine-a9024196.html>rises
in Europe, so too have “hate crimes and attacks
against the continent’s 10-12 million Romani inhabitants”.

When the state tries to increase its powers of
repression, GRT communities always pay the price.
This part of the manifesto is a chilling reminder of that.