[BTF-Announce] REMINDER: BtF reading group WEDNESDAY Jan 23 and other events

Breaking The Frame tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Tue Jan 22 00:20:40 GMT 2019

1. Breaking the Frame/New Lucas Plan reading group Jan 23.

2. Jetpacks, Robots and the Radical Politics of
Technology, A day workshop Jan 27.

Breaking the Frame reading group

The second in our series on Mike Cooley. We'll
look at a couple of
<http://breakingtheframe.org.uk/breaking-the-frame-reading-group/>chapters
from his new book Delinquent Genius. Please note
that the book is very easy reading, so don't be
daunted. The reading group will be on the fourth
Wednesday of the month, ie Jan 23, 7:30pm in the
lobby at Kings Place, 90 York Way, London, N1 9AG
(there are sofas in a quiet area outside the bar where we can meet).

Jetpacks, Robots and the Radical Politics of
Technology, A day workshop – 11:00-16:30 Sunday
27 January 2019, The Common House. Unit 5E, 5
Punderson's Gardens, London E2 9QG

Technology appears as either promise or threat –
the rise of the robots means either a fully
automated luxury future without work, or
basically the Terminator film franchise. Where
the left was dominated by a pessimistic vision of
technology in the not too distant past, the
current moment is one full of visions of life
after work as technology does all the toil and,
to top it off, solves climate change without us
having to change anything else. In both visions,
technology is this thing out there, separate from
us; either a machine to enslave us or one to liberate us.

But is this all there is to a radical politics of
technology? How else can we understand the world
and the complex of machines, algorithms and
technologies we live with and through?

It is vital that we free our imaginations from
the grip of capitalist realism (the idea that
capitalism is the only option for organising
society), and picture possible future worlds and
the role that technology will play in them. But
we must also keep our imagined worlds grounded in
social and economic realities Not forgetting, for
example, that we are living on a planet with
limited natural resources, or that we have to
consider how to make our imagined futures real.

At this one-day workshop of facilitated
discussions we will explore some areas within the
radical politics of technology: ways of
understanding technology in the context of the
labour process; how technology relates to
ecological concerns; how it has been shaped by
the social and economic relationships of
capitalism and other hierarchical societies; and how we can shape it in future.

We will continue a discussion begun at an earlier
event, Techno-Fantasies and Eco-Realities
[<https://www.weareplanc.org/blog/techno-fantasies-and-eco-realities/>https://www.weareplanc.org/blog/techno-fantasies-and-eco-realities/]
– although if you missed that one, don't worry,
this one will have a stand-alone agenda. We
intend to get down to specifics, with sessions on
particular types of technology, some historical
examples and some key debates within the politics of technology.