Solution to inequality? UK Labour party embraces Land Value Tax (LVT) - GS on Land banking

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Tue Jun 4 23:56:05 BST 2019

<https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/labour-party/news/104337/labour-could-stop-renters-paying-council-tax>Labour
could stop renters paying council tax in major property laws shake-up
<http://Labour has shown once again that it wants
nothing less than the abolition of private
property>Labour has shown once again that it
wants nothing less than the abolition of private property
<http://www.landvaluetax.org/current-affairs-comment/winston-churchill-said-it-all-better-then-we-can.html>Tax
land: Winston Churchill said it all better then we can

Want to tackle inequality? Then first change our land ownership laws

[Major flaw: no guarantee land tax revenue will
be used to give land to the landless, it'll be bought by corporations.
Far better to redistribute land directly. ed.]
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jun/04/tackle-inequality-land-ownership-laws

<https://www.theguardian.com/profile/georgemonbiot>George
Monbiot From housing costs to wildlife collapse,
we pay the price while the rich boost their
profits. But from today we can fight back
<https://twitter.com/GeorgeMonbiot>@GeorgeMonbiot

Tue 4 Jun 2019 06.00 BSTLast modified on Tue 4
Jun 2019 12.35
BST
http://tlio.org.uk/solution-to-inequality-uk-labour-party-embraces-land-value-tax-lvt/

  ‘We call for a right to roam across all
uncultivated land and waterways.’ Photograph: Alamy

What is the most neglected issue in British
politics? I would say land. Literally and
metaphorically, land underlies our lives, but its
ownership and control have been captured by a
tiny number of people. The results include
soaring inequality and exclusion; the massive
cost of renting or buying a decent home; the
collapse of wildlife and ecosystems; repeated
financial crises; and the loss of public space.
Yet for 70 years this crucial issue has scarcely
featured in political discussions.

Today, I hope, this changes, with the publication
of the report to the Labour party –
<https://landforthemany.uk/>Land for the Many –
that I’ve written with six experts in the field.
Our aim is to put this neglected issue where it
belongs: at the heart of political debate and discussion.

Since 1995, land values in this country
<https://www.ippr.org/files/2018-08/cej-land-tax-august18.pdf>have
risen by 412%. Land now accounts for an
astonishing
<https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/nationalaccounts/uksectoraccounts/bulletins/nationalbalancesheet/2018>51%
of the UK’s net worth. Why? In large part because
successive governments have used tax exemptions
and other advantages to turn the ground beneath
our feet into a speculative money machine. A
<http://www.taxjustice.uk/blog/its-time-politicians-read-the-last-rites-for-inheritance-tax-reliefs-for-the-wealthy>report
published this week by Tax Justice UK reveals
that, through owning agricultural land, 261 rich
families escaped £208m in inheritance tax in
2015-16. Because farmland is used as a tax
shelter, farmers are being priced out. In 2011,
farmers bought 60% of the land that was on the
market; within six years this had fallen to 40%.

Homes are so expensive not because of the price
of bricks and mortar, but because land now accounts for 70% of the price

Worse still, when planning permission is granted
on agricultural land, its value
<https://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/sep/02/britain-farmland-tax-haven-reform>can
rise 250-fold. Though this jackpot was created by
society, the owner gets to keep most of it. We
pay for this vast inflation in land values
through outrageous rents and mortgages. Capital
gains tax is
<https://www.gov.uk/capital-gains-tax/rates>lower
than income tax, and council tax is
proportionately more expensive for the poor than
for the rich. As a result of such giveaways, and
the amazing opacity of the system, land in the UK
has become a magnet for international criminals
seeking to
<https://www.transparency.org.uk/publications/london-property-tr-ti-uk/>launder
their money.

We pay for these distortions every day. Homes
have become so expensive not because the price of
bricks and mortar has risen, but because the land
that underlies them now accounts for 70% of their
price. Twenty years ago, the average working
family needed to save for three years to afford a
deposit. Today, it must save
<https://www.resolutionfoundation.org/app/uploads/2017/09/Home-Affront.pdf>for
19 years. Life is even worse for renters. While
housing costs swallow 12% of average household
incomes for those with mortgages, renters pay 36%.

Because we hear so little about the underlying
issues, we blame the wrong causes for the cost
and scarcity of housing: immigration, population
growth, the green belt, red tape. In reality, the
power of landowners and building companies, their
tax and financial advantages and the vast shift
in bank lending towards the housing sector have
inflated prices so much that even a massive
housebuilding programme
<https://medium.com/@ian.mulheirn/what-would-300-000-houses-per-year-do-to-prices-f506e82bbe8d>could
not counteract them.

The same forces are responsible for the loss of
public space in cities, a right to roam that
covers only 10% of the land, the lack of
provision for allotments and of opportunities for
new farmers, and the wholesale destruction of the
living world. Our report aims to confront these
structural forces and take back control of the fabric of the nation.

A Labour government should replace council tax
with a progressive property tax, payable by
owners, not tenants. Empty homes should
automatically be taxed at a higher rate.
Inheritance tax should be replaced with a
lifetime gifts tax levied on the recipient.
Capital gains tax on second homes and investment
properties should match or exceed the rates of
income tax. Business rates should be replaced
with a land value tax, based on rental value. A
15% offshore tax should be levied on properties owned through tax havens.

To democratise development and planning, we want
to create new public development corporations.
Alongside local authorities, they would assemble
the land needed for affordable homes and new
communities. Builders would have to compete on
quality, rather than by amassing land banks.
These public corporations would use compulsory
purchase to buy land at agricultural prices,
rather than having to pay through the nose for
the uplift created by planning permission. This
could reduce the price of affordable homes in the
south-east
<http://www.civitas.org.uk/content/files/reformofthelandcompensationrules.pdf>by
nearly 50%.

We propose a community participation agency, to
help people, rather than big companies, become
the driving force in creating local plans and
influencing major infrastructure. To ensure a
wide range of voices is heard, we suggest a form
of jury service for plan-making. To represent
children and the unborn, we would like every
local authority to appoint a future generations champion.

Councils should have new duties to create parks,
urban green spaces, wildlife refuges and public
amenities. We propose a new definition of public
space, granting citizens a legal right to use it
and overturning the power of private landowners
in cities to stifle leisure, cultural events and protest.

We propose much tighter rent and eviction
controls, and an ambitious social housebuilding
programme. We also want to create new
opportunities for people to design and build
their own homes, supported by a community right
to buy
<https://www.gov.scot/policies/land-reform/community-right-to-buy/>of
the kind that Scotland enjoys. Compulsory sale
orders should be used to bring vacant and
derelict land on to the market, and community
groups should have first rights to buy it.

To help stabilise land prices and make homes more
affordable, we propose a new body, called the
Common Ground Trust. When people can’t afford to
buy a home, they can ask the trust to purchase
the land that underlies it, while they pay only
for the bricks and mortar (about 30% of the
cost). They then pay the trust a land rent. Their
overall housing costs are reduced, while the
trust gradually accumulates a pool of land that
acts as a buffer against speculation, and creates
common ownership on a large scale.

We call for a right to roam across all
uncultivated land and waterways (except gardens
and similar limitations). We want to change the
Allotments Act, to ensure that no one needs wait
for a plot for more than a year. We would like to
use part of the Land Registry’s
<https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/hm-land-registry-annual-report-and-accounts-2017-to-2018/financial-statements>vast
surplus to help community land trusts buy rural
land for farming, forestry, conservation and
rewilding. We would like a new English land
commission to decide whether to make major
farming and forestry decisions subject to
planning permission, to help arrest the
environmental crisis. And we want to transform
the public’s right to know, by ensuring that all
information about land ownership, subsidies and
planning is published freely as open data.

These proposals, we hope, will make the UK a more
equal, inclusive and generous-spirited nation,
characterised not by private enclosure and public
squalor, but by private sufficiency and public
luxury. Our land should work for the many, not just the few.

Who owns the country? The secretive companies hoarding England's land

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/apr/19/who-owns-england-secretive-companies-hoarding-land

Fri 19 Apr 2019 06.00 BSTLast modified on Tue 4 Jun 2019 13.40 BST
  ‘Companies today own around 2.6m hectares of
land – 18% of England and Wales.’ Illustration: Lee Martin/Guardian Design

Multi-million pound corporations with complex
structures have purchased the very ground we walk
on – and we are only just beginning to discover
the damage it is doing to Britain. By
<https://www.theguardian.com/profile/guy-shrubsole>Guy Shrubsole

Despite owning 15,000 hectares (37,000 acres) of
land, managing a property portfolio worth £2.3bn
and having control over huge swaths of central
Manchester and Liverpool, very few people have
heard of a company named Peel Holdings. It owns
the Manchester Ship Canal. It built the Trafford
Centre shopping complex and, more recently, sold
it in the largest single property acquisition in
Britain’s history. It was the developer behind
the MediaCityUK site in Salford, to which the BBC
and ITV have relocated many of their operations
in recent years. Airports, fracking, retail – the
list of Peel business interests stretches on and on.

Peel Holdings operates behind the scenes, quietly
acquiring land and real estate, cutting
billion-pound deals and influencing numerous
planning decisions. Its investment decisions have
had an enormous impact, whether for good or ill,
on the places where millions of people live and work.

Peel’s ultimate owner, the billionaire John
Whittaker, is notoriously publicity-shy: he lives
on the Isle of Man, hardly ever gives interviews
and helicopters into his company’s offices for
board meetings. He built Peel Holdings in the
1970s and 80s by buying up a series of companies
whose fortunes had decayed, but which still
controlled valuable land. Foremost among these
was the Manchester Ship Canal Company, purchased
in 1987. The canal turned out to be valuable not
simply as a freight route, but also because of
the redevelopment potential of the land that flanked it.

Peel Holdings tends not to show its hand in
public. Like many companies, it prefers its
forays into public political debate to be
conducted via intermediary bodies and corporate
coalitions. In 2008, it emerged that Peel was a
dominant force behind a business grouping that
had formed to lobby against Manchester’s proposed
congestion charge. The charge was aimed at
cutting traffic and reducing the toxic car fumes
choking the city. But Peel, as owners of the
out-of-town Trafford Centre shopping mall, feared
that a congestion charge would be bad for
business, discouraging shoppers from driving
through central Manchester to reach the mall.
Peel’s lobbying paid off: voters rejected the
charge in the local referendum and the proposal was dropped.

Throughout England, cash-strapped councils are
being outgunned by corporate developers pressing
to get their way. The situation is exacerbated by
a system that has allowed companies like Peel to
keep their corporate structures obscure and their
landholdings hidden. A 2013 report by
Liverpool-based thinktank Ex Urbe found “well in
excess of 300 separately registered UK companies
owned or controlled” by Peel. Tracing the
conglomerate’s structure is an investigator’s
nightmare. Try it yourself on the
<https://www.gov.uk/get-information-about-a-company>Companies
House website: type in “Peel Land and Property
Investments PLC”, and then click through to
persons with significant control. This gives you
the name of its parent company, Peel Investments
Holdings Ltd. So far, so good. But then repeat
the steps for the parent company, and yet another
holding company emerges; then another, and
another. It’s like a series of Russian dolls, one nested inside another.

Until recently, it was even harder to get a
handle on the land Peel Holdings owns. Sometimes
the company has provided a tantalising glimpse:
one map it produced in 2015, as part of some
marketing spiel around the “northern powerhouse”,
showcases 150 sites it owns across the
north-west. It confirms the vast spread of Peel’s
landed interests – from Liverpool John Lennon
airport, through shale gas well pads, to one of
the UK’s largest onshore wind farms. But it’s
clearly not everything. A more exhaustive,
independent list of the company’s landholdings
might allow communities to be forewarned of
future developments. As Ex Urbe’s report on Peel
concludes: “Peel schemes rarely come to light
until they are effectively a fait accompli and
the conglomerate is confident they will go ahead,
irrespective of public opinion.”

While Peel Holdings is unusual for the sheer
amount of land it controls, it is also
illustrative of corporate landowners everywhere.
Corporations looking to develop land have
numerous tricks up their sleeve that they can use
to evade scrutiny and get their way, from shell
company structures to offshore entities.
Companies with big enough budgets can often ride
roughshod over the planning system, beating
cash-strapped councils and volunteer community
groups. And companies have for a long time
benefited from having their landholdings kept
secret, giving them the element of surprise when
it comes to lobbying councils over planning
decisions and the use of public space. But now,
at long last, that is starting to change. If we
want to “take back control” of our country, we
need to understand how much of it is currently controlled by corporations.

----------
In 2015, the Private Eye journalist Christian
Eriksson lodged a freedom of information (FOI)
request with the Land Registry, the official
record of land ownership in England and Wales. He
asked it to release a database detailing the area
of land owned by all UK-registered companies and
corporate bodies. Eriksson later shared this
database with me, and what it revealed was
astonishing. Here, laid bare after the dataset
had been cleaned up, was a picture of corporate
control: companies today own about 2.6m hectares
of land, or roughly 18% of England and Wales.

In the unpromising format of an Excel
spreadsheet, a compelling picture emerged.
Alongside the utilities privatised by Margaret
Thatcher and John Major – the water companies, in
particular – and the big corporate landowners,
were PLCs with multiple shareholders. There were
household names, such as Tesco, Tata Steel and
the housebuilder Taylor Wimpey, and others more
obscure. MRH Minerals, for example, appeared to
own 28,000 hectares of land, making it one of the
biggest corporate landowners in England and Wales.

Gradually, I pieced together a list of what
looked to be the top 50 landowning companies,
which together own more than 405,000 hectares of
England and Wales. Peel Holdings and many of its
subsidiaries, unsurprisingly, feature high on the
list. But while the dataset revealed in stark
detail the area of land owned by UK-based
companies, it did nothing to tell us what they owned, and where.

That would take another two years to emerge.
Meanwhile, Eriksson had been busy at work with
his Private Eye colleague Richard Brooks and the
computer programmer Anna Powell-Smith, delving
into another form of corporate landowner – firms
based overseas, yet owning land in the UK. Of
particular interest were companies based in
offshore tax havens, a wholly legal but
controversial practice, given the opportunities
offshore ownership gives for possible tax
avoidance and for concealing the identities of
who ultimately controls a company. Further FOI
requests to the Land Registry by Eriksson hit the
jackpot when he was sent – “accidentally”, the
Land Registry would later claim – a huge dataset
of overseas and offshore-registered companies
that had bought land in England and Wales between
2005 and 2014: some 113,119 hectares of land and
property, worth a staggering £170bn.
<https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/apr/19/who-owns-england-secretive-companies-hoarding-land#img-2>
Victoria Harbour building at Salford Quays, owned by Peel Holdi

Private Eye’s work revealed that a large chunk of
the country was not only under corporate control,
but owned by companies that – in many cases –
were almost certainly seeking to avoid paying
tax, that most basic contribution to a civilised
society. Some potentially had an even darker
motive: purchasing property in England or Wales
as a means for kleptocratic regimes or corrupt
businessmen to launder money, and to get a
healthy return on their ill-gotten gains in the
process. This was information that clearly ought
to be out in the open, with a huge public
interest case for doing so. And yet the government had sat on it for years.

The political ramifications of these revelations
were profound. They kickstarted a process of
opening up information on land ownership that,
although far slower and less complete than many
would have liked, has nevertheless transformed
our understanding of what companies own. In
November 2017, the Land Registry released its
corporate and commercial dataset, free of charge
and open to all. It revealed, for the first time,
the 3.5m land titles owned by UK-based corporate
bodies – covering both public sector institutions
and private firms – with limited companies owning
the majority, 2.1m, of these. But there were two
important caveats. Although we now had the
addresses owned by companies, the dataset omitted
to tell us the size of land they owned. Second,
the data lacked accurate information on locations, making it hard to map.

Despite this, what can we now say about
company-owned land in England and Wales? Quite a
lot, it turns out. We know, for example, that the
company with the third-highest number of land
titles is the mysterious Wallace Estates, a firm
with a £200m property portfolio but virtually no
public presence, and which is owned ultimately by
a secretive Italian count. Wallace Estates makes
its money from the controversial ground rents
market, whereby it owns thousands of freehold
properties and sells on long leases with annual ground rents.

We also now know that Peel Holdings and its
numerous subsidiaries owns at least 1,000 parcels
of land across England – not just shopping
centres and ports in the north-west, but also a
hill in Suffolk, farmland along the Medway and an
industrial estate in the Cotswolds. Councils, MPs
and residents wanting to keep an eye on what
developers and property companies are up to in
their area now have a powerful new tool at their disposal.

The data is full of odd quirks and details. Who
would have guessed, for instance, that the arms
manufacturer BAE owns a nightclub in Cardiff, a
pub on Blackpool’s promenade and a service
station in Pease Pottage, Sussex? It turns out
that they are all investments made by BAE’s
pension fund; if
<https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/apr/06/campaigners-court-bid-to-stop-uk-arms-sales-to-saudi-arabia>selling
missiles to Saudi Arabia doesn’t prove profitable
enough, it appears the company’s strategy is to
make a few quid out of tired drivers stopping for a coffee break off the M23.

The data also lets us peer into the property
acquisitions of the big supermarkets, which back
in the 1990s and early 2000s involved building up
huge land banks to construct ever more
out-of-town retail parks. Tesco, via a welter of
subsidiaries, owns more than 4,500 hectares of
land – and although much of this comprises
existing stores, a good chunk also appears to be
empty plots, apparently earmarked for future
development. One
<https://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/jun/26/tesco-hoarding-land-that-could-build-15000-homes-supermarket>analysis
by the Guardian in 2014 estimated that the
supermarket was hoarding enough land to
accommodate 15,000 homes. More recently, however,
Tesco’s financial travails have prompted it to
sell off some of its sites. Internet shopping and
pricier petrol have made giant hypermarkets built
miles from where people live look less and less
like smart investments. In 2016, Tesco’s
beleaguered CEO announced the company was looking
to make better use of the land it owned by
selling it for housing, and even by building
flats on top of its superstores. As for the
supermarkets’ internet shopping rival Amazon,
whose gigantic “fulfilment centres” resemble the
vast US government warehouse
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRP0MBNoieY>at
the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark – well, Amazon
currently has 16 of those across the UK. And it
has grown very quickly: all but one of its
property leases have been bought in the past decade.

Companies are increasingly taking over previously
public space in cities, too. Recent years have
seen a proliferation of Pops – privately owned
public spaces – as London, Manchester and other
places redevelop and gentrify. You know the sort
of thing: expensively landscaped swaths of
“public realm”. Aesthetically, they are all very
nice, but try to use Pops for some peaceful
protest, and you are in for trouble. They are
invariably governed by special bylaws and policed
by private security, itching to get in your face.
I once found this to my cost when staging a tiny,
two-person anti-fracking demo outside shale-gas
financiers Barclays bank in Canary Wharf.
<https://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/jan/28/canary-wharf-qatar-brookfield-sale-london>Canary
Wharf is partly owned by the Qatari Investment
Authority, and – bizarrely – photography is
banned. Within a minute of us taking the first
selfie on our innocuous protest, security guards
had descended en masse, and we spent the next
hour running around Canary Wharf trying to evade them.

The Land Registry’s corporate ownership dataset
contains millions of entries, and much remains to
be uncovered. Some of the information appears
trivial at first glance – a company owns a
factory here, an office there: so what? But as
more people pore over the data, more stories will
likely emerge. Future researchers might find
intriguing correlations between the locations of
England’s thousands of fast-food stores and the
health of nearby populations, be able to track
gentrification through the displacement of KFC
outlets by Nando’s restaurants, and so on.

But to really get under the skin of how companies
treat the land they own, and the wider
repercussions, we need to zoom in on the housing
sector, where debates about companies involved in
land banking and profiteering from land sales are
crucial to our understanding of the housing crisis.

----------
One particularly controversial aspect of the
housing debate that has generated much heat, and
little light, in recent years is the debacle over
land banking, the practice of hoarding land and
holding it back from development until its price increases.

In 2016, the then housing secretary, Sajid Javid,
furiously accused large housing developers of
land banking and demanded they “release their
stranglehold” on land supply. Housebuilders, not
used to such impertinence from a Conservative
minister, hit back. “As has been proved by
various investigations in the past, housebuilders
do not land bank,” a spokesperson for the Home
Builders Federation
<https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/10/03/house-builders-hit-back-at-landbanking-claims/>told
the Telegraph. “In the current market where
demand is high, there is absolutely no reason to do so.”

So who is right? This is a complex area, but one
that is important to investigate. Can the Land
Registry’s corporate ownership data help us get to the bottom of it?

It is common for UK pension funds and insurance
companies to buy up land as a long-term strategic
investment. Legal & General, for example, owns
1,500 hectares of land that it openly calls a
“strategic land portfolio
 stretching from Luton
to Cardiff”. Its rationale for buying land is
simple: “Strategic land holdings are underpinned
by their existing use value [such as farming] and
give us the opportunity to create further value
through planning promotion and infrastructure
works over the medium to long term.”

When I looked into where Legal & General’s land
was located, I noticed something odd. Nearly all
of it lay within green belt areas, where
development is restricted. The company appears to
have bought it with the aim of lobbying councils
to ultimately rip up such restrictions and
redesignate the site for development in future.

In the case of pension funds lobbying to rip up
the green belt, it’s the planning system that is
(rightly) constraining development, not land
banking itself. And none of this implicates the
usual bogeymen of the housing crisis, the big
housebuilding companies. By examining what these
major developers own, is it possible to say
whether they’re actively engaged in land banking?

There is no doubt that many of the major
housebuilding companies own a lot of land. What’s
more, housing developers themselves talk about
their “current land banks” and publish figures in
annual reports listing the number of homes they
think they can build using land where they have
planning permission. As the housing charity
<https://blog.shelter.org.uk/2016/12/land-banking-whats-the-story-part-1/>Shelter
has found, the top 10 housing developers have
land banks with space for more than 400,000 homes
– about six years’ supply at current building rates.

Prompted by such statistics, the government
ordered a review into build-out rates in 2017,
led by Sir Oliver Letwin. Yet when Letwin
delivered his draft report, he once again
exonerated housebuilders from the charge of land
banking. “I cannot find any evidence that the
major housebuilders are financial investors of
this kind,” he stated, pointing the finger of
blame instead at the rate at which new homes
could be absorbed into the marketplace.

Part of the problem is that the data on what
companies own still isn’t good enough to prove
whether or not land banking is occurring. The
aforementioned Anna Powell-Smith has tried to map
the land owned by housing developers, but has
been thwarted by the lack in the Land Registry’s
corporate dataset of the necessary information to
link data on who owns a site with digital maps of
that area. That makes it very hard to assess, for
example, whether a piece of land owned by a
housebuilder for decades is a prime site accruing
in value or a leftover fragment of ground from a past development.
<https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/apr/19/who-owns-england-secretive-companies-hoarding-land#img-3>
Shoppers in the Trafford Centre, a shopping mall until recently
<https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/apr/19/who-owns-england-secretive-companies-hoarding-land#img-3>
  Shoppers in the Trafford Centre, a shopping
mall until recently owned by Peel Holdings. Photograph: Oli Scarff/AFP/Getty

Second, the scope of Letwin’s review was drawn
too narrowly to examine the wider problem of land
banking by landowners beyond the major
housebuilders. As the housing market analyst Neal
Hudson said when it was published, the “review
remit ignored the most important and unknown bit
of the market: sites and land ownership pre-planning.”

In fact, if Letwin had raised his sights a little
higher, he would have seen there is a whole
industry of land promoters working with
landowners to promote sites, have them earmarked
for development in the council’s local plan, and
increase their asking price. As investigations by
<https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/08/05/modern-day-barons-inside-murky-underbelly-land-promotion/>Isabelle
Fraser of the Telegraph have revealed: “A group
of private companies, largely unknown to the
public, have carved out a lucrative niche
locating and snapping up land across the UK.”

One such company, Gladman Land, boasts on its
website of <http://www.gladmanland.co.uk/>a 90%
success rate at getting sites developed. Few of
these firms appear to own much land themselves;
rather, they work with other landowners, perhaps
signing options agreements or other such deals.
Consultants Molior have estimated that between
25% and 45% of sites with planning permission in
London are owned by companies that have never built a home.

This gets us to the heart of the housing crisis.
Sure, we need housing developers to build more
homes. But most of all we need them to build
affordable homes. And developers that are forced
to pay through the nose to persuade landowners to
part with their land end up with less money left
over for good-quality, affordable housing. By all
means, let’s continue to pressure housebuilders
whenever they try to renege on their planning
agreements. But at root, we have to find ways to
encourage landowners of all kinds – corporate or
otherwise – to part with their land at cheaper prices.

----------
Since the first appearance of modern corporations
in the Victorian period, companies have expanded
to become the owners of nearly a fifth of all
land in England and Wales. Much of this land
acquisition is uncontested: space for a factory
here, an office block there. But some of it has
proven highly controversial. Huge retailers and
property groups like Tesco and Peel Holdings have
eroded town centres and high streets by amassing
land for out-of-town superstores, and lobbied to
maintain a culture of car dependency.
Multinational agribusinesses have exacerbated the
industrialisation of our food supply and
accelerated the decline of small-scale farmers.
Property firms have made tidy profits from the
privatisation of formerly public land – which
might otherwise have gone into the public purse,
had previous governments treated their assets more wisely.

Though the veil of secrecy around company
structures and what corporations own is at last
lifting, thanks to recent data disclosures by
government, there’s still much that needs to be
done to make sense of this new information. The
Land Registry needs to disclose proper maps of
what companies own if we are to get to the bottom
of suspect practices like land banking, and give
communities a fighting chance in local planning battles.

Legally obliged to maximise profits for their
shareholders, and biased towards short-term
returns, companies make for poor custodians of
land. Nor are corporate landowners capable of
solving the housing crisis. Hoarded, developed,
polluted, dug up, landfilled: the corporate
control of England’s acres has gone far enough.

NB please do reply with remove as the subject or
first line if you do not wish to recieve further emails - thanks

'From South America, where payment must be made
with subtlety, the Bormann organization has made
a substantial contribution. It has drawn many of
the brightest Jewish businessmen into a
participatory role in the development of many of
its corporations, and many of these Jews share
their prosperity most generously with Israel. If
their proposals are sound, they are even provided
with a specially dispensed venture capital fund.
I spoke with one Jewish businessmen in Hartford,
Connecticut. He had arrived there quite unknown
several years before our conversation, but with
Bormann money as his leverage. Today he is more
than a millionaire, a quiet leader in the
community with a certain share of his profits
earmarked as always for his venture capital
benefactors. This has taken place in many other
instances across America and demonstrates how
Bormann’s people operate in the contemporary
commercial world, in contrast to the fanciful
nonsense with which Nazis are described in so much “literature.”

So much emphasis is placed on select Jewish
participation in Bormann companies that when
Adolf Eichmann was seized and taken to Tel Aviv
to stand trial, it produced a shock wave in the
Jewish and German communities of Buenos Aires.
Jewish leaders informed the Israeli authorities
in no uncertain terms that this must never happen
again because a repetition would permanently
rupture relations with the Germans of Latin
America, as well as with the Bormann
organization, and cut off the flow of Jewish
money to Israel. It never happened again, and the
pursuit of Bormann quieted down at the request of
these Jewish leaders. He is residing in an
Argentinian safe haven, protected by the most
efficient German infrastructure in history as
well as by all those whose prosperity depends on his well-being.'
<http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fspitfirelist.com%2Fbooks%2Fmartin-bormann-nazi-in-exile%2F&h=eAQErj17O>http<http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fspitfirelist.com%2Fbooks%2Fmartin-bormann-nazi-in-exile%2F&h=eAQErj17O>://spitfirelist.com/books/martin-bormann-nazi-in-exile/

http://www.radio4all.net/index.php/contributor/2149
http://www.thisweek.org.uk
http://www.911forum.org.uk
http://www.bilderberg.org