New Past Tense pamphlet: "Stand Up Now, Diggers All! The 1649 True Levellers

mark at tlio.org.uk mark at tlio.org.uk
Fri May 17 20:46:16 BST 2019

-------- Forwarded Message --------

Subject: 	New Past Tense pamphlet: ‘Stand up Now, Diggers All!’
Date: 	Wed, 08 May 2019 23:49:35 -0700
From: 	pasttense at riseup.net

Past Tense have produced a little pamphlet about the 1649-50 'True
Levellers' (popularly called Diggers) in Surrey and elsewhere...

"Stand Up Now, Diggers All!
The 1649 True Levellers Commune at St George’s Hill

On April 1st 1649, a small group of men and women moved onto wasteland
at St George’s Hill, near Weybridge, in the parish of Walton-on-Thames
in north Surrey, and began to dig over the land and plant vegetables.
The True Levellers or ‘Diggers’ occupation was revolutionary - they
advocated collective use of land, for need, not for profit, in defiance
of landlords, church and the law.

Their groundbreaking communist experiment faced violence and prosecution
from the authorities and landowners. They were dispersed - but still
their vision lingers on...

An account of the events of the True Levellers' 1649 land squat, their
ideas, and the repression they faced...

Printed by our own fair hands as usual...!

28 pages, slightly smaller than A5,
Cost: £2 plus P&P, available for sale from our website:

http://past-tense.org.uk/past-tense-pamphlets.html

.... along with lots more lovely past tense publications...