[Diggers350] MP letter template re Fri 22 Jan deadline for Right To Roam debate

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Wed Dec 30 00:36:18 GMT 2020

Write to your MP - ask them to attend the debate on trespass

https://www.righttoroam.org.uk/mpletter

Thanks to the 134,000 of you who signed our
petition, 'Don't criminalise trespass', MPs will
debate this issue in Parliament. The Petitions
Committee have scheduled a debate in Westminster
Hall for Monday 25th January 2021. To speak, MPs
have to register with the Speaker of the House by
Friday 22nd January. It's vital we get MPs attending representing your views.

Please contact your MP using and adapting the
template email below. You can look up your MP and
their email address on the
<https://www.righttoroam.org.uk/https://shoutout.wix.com/so/1eNPn-UGN/c?w=95L_TRchjxTEMRch48vFNgsUnXCjOT1iVPaC36wiIfU.eyJ1IjoiaHR0cHM6Ly9tZW1iZXJzLnBhcmxpYW1lbnQudWsvRmluZFlvdXJNUCIsInIiOiI0ZjljNTYzNy00YmQ1LTQwNjUtYThkMC04MDQ4NTJhYjYwMjAiLCJtIjoibWFpbCIsImMiOiIyYjFkZGIzZi1iMTNhLTRjZDktOTAyMC01ZDRmY2Q4YmYwMmYifQ>Parliament
website here. Remember to include your postcode
when you send your email, to show you're a
constituent, otherwise they won't have to respond.

Template email for you to adapt and send to your
MP compliments of glorious Guy Shrubsole:

Dear ____MP,

Subject: Don't criminalise trespass - please
register to attend the Petitions Committee debate on 25th January

As your constituent, I'm very concerned by the
Government's proposals to criminalise trespass.
Together with over 134,000 other people, I signed
this Parliamentary petition to oppose the
criminalisation of trespass (here:
<https://www.righttoroam.org.uk/https://shoutout.wix.com/so/1eNPn-UGN/c?w=fRp8rTEYiEcFm8pAk4Hqwo_wWGie67IELzsn9H88tJk.eyJ1IjoiaHR0cHM6Ly9wZXRpdGlvbi5wYXJsaWFtZW50LnVrL3BldGl0aW9ucy8zMDAxMzkiLCJyIjoiNGY5YzU2MzctNGJkNS00MDY1LWE4ZDAtODA0ODUyYWI2MDIwIiwibSI6Im1haWwiLCJjIjoiMmIxZGRiM2YtYjEzYS00Y2Q5LTkwMjAtNWQ0ZmNkOGJmMDJmIn0>https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/300139).
If you follow the link, you can click through to
a map showing how many other of your constituents also care deeply about this.

The petition is now scheduled for a Petitions
Committee debate in Westminster Hall on Monday
25th January 2021 at 4.30pm, and I would like you
to attend to represent my concerns. Please
register to take part in the debate with the
Speaker of the House by Friday 22nd January.

I'm concerned because criminalising trespass
would be an extreme, illiberal and unnecessary
attack on ancient freedoms that would threaten
ramblers who stray from the path, wild campers,
Travellers, peaceful protestors and the wider
public keen to enjoy nature. Fear of
criminalisation may even deter amateur
naturalists from carrying out wildlife surveys, as some scientists have warned.

Access to nature is vital for everyone’s physical
and mental health – something lockdown
demonstrated vividly. Last year’s exceptional
spring, combined with the coronavirus
regulations, meant many people stopped to observe
and experience nature in ways they hadn’t since
childhood. With restrictions on overseas travel,
many more people enjoyed their summer holidays in
the British countryside. Sales of camping
equipment have soared; British Canoeing has seen
a 40% jump in membership; and National Parks have
seen huge numbers of visitors from sections of
the population who’ve never visited them before.

Criminalising trespass would create a massive
chilling effect on visits to the countryside.
Many people are already put off visiting rural
Britain through unfamiliarity, poor transport
links, existing civil trespass laws and a general
sense that they don’t belong or aren’t welcome in
the countryside. Such feelings are multiplied
greatly for Black, Asian and ethnic minority Britons.

  Criminalising trespass isn’t just draconian,
it’s completely unnecessary. Landowners who wish
to sue trespassers can already do so via the
courts. Police forces have stated they don’t want
or need any additional powers to deal with
unauthorised encampments, whether by Travellers
or protestors (see
<https://www.righttoroam.org.uk/https://shoutout.wix.com/so/1eNPn-UGN/c?w=rQYJi6CATamVSeUHVnQt_QhwPGV6BM4NIaVddP8bbVI.eyJ1IjoiaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cudGhlZ3VhcmRpYW4uY29tL3dvcmxkLzIwMTkvbm92LzE0L3BvbGljZS1vcHBvc2UtdHJhdmVsbGVyLWFuZC1neXBzeS1jYW1wLWNyYWNrZG93bi1mb2ktc2hvd3MiLCJyIjoiNGY5YzU2MzctNGJkNS00MDY1LWE4ZDAtODA0ODUyYWI2MDIwIiwibSI6Im1haWwiLCJjIjoiMmIxZGRiM2YtYjEzYS00Y2Q5LTkwMjAtNWQ0ZmNkOGJmMDJmIn0>https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/nov/14/police-oppose-traveller-and-gypsy-camp-crackdown-foi-shows).
Gypsies and Travellers are already amongst the
most marginalised communities in the UK, and
criminalising trespass or increasing police
powers of eviction would compound the inequalities they experience.

Criminalising trespass is opposed by numerous
access and environment groups, from the Ramblers
and British Mountaineering Council to CPRE and
the British Horse Society, who wrote to the Home
Secretary earlier this year urging her to
reconsider the proposals (see
<https://www.righttoroam.org.uk/https://shoutout.wix.com/so/1eNPn-UGN/c?w=GwQVFR6px2Fu9RfS1_xb8kRobIcDwMyOHZsf4uL8HRM.eyJ1IjoiaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cudGhldGltZXMuY28udWsvYXJ0aWNsZS9yZXRoaW5rLXRyZXNwYXNzLWxhdy1yYW1ibGVycy11cmdlLXByaXRpLXBhdGVsLThnaGdqM204biIsInIiOiI0ZjljNTYzNy00YmQ1LTQwNjUtYThkMC04MDQ4NTJhYjYwMjAiLCJtIjoibWFpbCIsImMiOiIyYjFkZGIzZi1iMTNhLTRjZDktOTAyMC01ZDRmY2Q4YmYwMmYifQ>https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/rethink-trespass-law-ramblers-urge-priti-patel-8ghgj3m8n).
It is also opposed across party lines: the chair
of the Conservative Environment Network, Ben
Goldsmith, wrote an article in the Telegraph this
Autumn calling on the Government to drop plans to
criminalise trespass (see
<https://www.righttoroam.org.uk/https://shoutout.wix.com/so/1eNPn-UGN/c?w=Px1caY2344OTcz9HZj7gG2g2e7X6qbcN36tJ4ia4tLs.eyJ1IjoiaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cudGVsZWdyYXBoLmNvLnVrL2Vudmlyb25tZW50LzIwMjAvMTAvMjIvYmVuLWdvbGRzbWl0aC1jYWxscy1nb3Zlcm5tZW50LWRyb3AtcGxhbnMtY3JpbWluYWxpc2UtdHJlc3Bhc3MvIiwiciI6IjRmOWM1NjM3LTRiZDUtNDA2NS1hOGQwLTgwNDg1MmFiNjAyMCIsIm0iOiJtYWlsIiwiYyI6IjJiMWRkYjNmLWIxM2EtNGNkOS05MDIwLTVkNGZjZDhiZjAyZiJ9>https://www.telegraph.co.uk/environment/2020/10/22/ben-goldsmith-calls-government-drop-plans-criminalise-trespass/).

The Petitions Committee has scheduled a debate on
this subject for Monday 25th January. I'm
therefore calling on you as my representative to
please attend the debate, and to relay my
concerns and those shared by people up and down the country.

Yours sincerely,

[Your name and postcode]