The Scottish Clearances By T.M. Devine Reviewed – Lives Ruined For Profit

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Wed Jul 8 01:14:37 BST 2020

The Scottish Clearances By T.M. Devine Reviewed – Lives Ruined For Profit

<http://tlio.org.uk/the-scottish-clearances-by-t-m-devine-reviewed-lives-ruined-for-profit/>08/07/2020
<http://tlio.org.uk/author/tony/>TONY GOSLING
<http://tlio.org.uk/the-scottish-clearances-by-t-m-devine-reviewed-lives-ruined-for-profit/#respond>LEAVE
A COMMENT

http://tlio.org.uk/the-scottish-clearances-by-t-m-devine-reviewed-lives-ruined-for-profit/

<https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/dec/22/scottish-clearances-tm-devine-review-highlands>The
Scottish Clearances by TM Devine review – lives ruined for profit

<https://www.waterstones.com/book/the-scottish-clearances/t-m-devine/9780141985930>
[]

[Would have been nice to have some positives like
the fight back in Skye in 1882 which led to the
Crofting Act – enshrining traditional tenures in law until this very day
TG]

An eminent Scottish historian chronicles the loss
of land in the Highlands and records the voices of those sent into exile

Ewen MacAskill Sat 22 Dec 2018

<https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/dec/22/scottish-clearances-tm-devine-review-highlands>https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/dec/22/scottish-clearances-tm-devine-review-highlands

Once you have seen the machair you never forget
it. It is Gaelic for the stunningly beautiful
grassland found in the Hebrides and parts of the
Highlands: fertile, a mass of wildflowers,
fringed by remote sandy beaches. The first time I
saw it, as a teenager on Harris, I wondered why
my ancestors had chosen instead to live on the
other side, on barren and rocky land, a hard
place to grow anything. Within a matter of
seconds, the answer dawned. They had lived on the
machair but were forcibly moved in the 19th
century, like many other casualties of the Highland Clearances.

The Clearances, the mass depopulation of the
Highlands and Islands, still resonate today. They
provide the backdrop whenever the Scottish
parliament grapples with land reform or there is
another community buy-out. This summer, the
journalist and historian Max Hastings, writing in
the Times, joined the discussion in a piece about
his annual trip to the Highlands for shooting and
fishing. Patronisingly, he wrote that the curse
of Scotland is ‘its sense of victimhood, lovingly
nurtured over the past century’ and cited the
Clearances as a prime example. He falls into the
ranks of those who claim the scale and suffering has been exaggerated.

Scotland has until recently been ill served by
historians. At school in the 1950s and 60s, we
were taught more about the Tudors than our own
history. A textbook at the time, a history of
Scotland starting in 1702, ran to 335 pages, of
which only one covered the Clearances. The writer
John Prebble, English-born and brought up in
Canada, broke this embarrassing near-silence with
The Highland Clearances, published in 1963 and
still the most popular Scottish history book ever
written. Writing from a Marxist point of view, he
portrayed the Clearances as the unnecessarily
brutal expulsion of the population by greedy
landowners and clan chiefs to make way for a more
profitable source of income – sheep. Academics
dismissed it as a blend of fact and fiction.

Revisionism was inevitable. It came in the shape
of, among others, Michael Fry, a mischievous
conservative and author of Wild Scots: Four
Hundred Years of Highland History, published in
2005. Fry, whose admirers include Hastings,
portrayed the Clearances as a myth that falls apart once probed.

<https://www.waterstones.com/book/the-scottish-clearances/t-m-devine/9780141985930>
[]

Thankfully into the debate comes Tom Devine,
Scotland’s best modern historian. Although viewed
as tainted by some Scots for coming out in
support of independence during the 2014
referendum, he makes history accessible, backed
up with formidable original research and
statistical evidence. In this book, he chronicles
land ownership, the clan system and shifting
attitudes towards Highlanders, from heroic
soldiers to lazy aborigines. He is populist
enough to find space for the romantic Jacobite TV
fantasy Outlander, but this is a serious book,
which includes a large section on dispossession
in the Borders – intended to put what happened in
the Highlands and Islands into perspective.

Clan chiefs in the Highlands were happy enough to
have large populations at various points,
especially during the Napoleonic wars. Devine
demolishes the idea that Highlanders were by
nature more martial than people in other parts of
the UK. It was simple economics: the clan chiefs
behaved as military entrepreneurs, providing
recruits at a price. When the war ended and
demand for soldiers fell, they looked for
alternative sources of income. Sheep farming was
one, and that meant clearing the land. Devine is
fair minded, acknowledging landlords and chiefs
who tried to devise ways to keep people, but they
were in a small minority. ‘Coercion was employed
widely and systematically,’ he concludes.

The harshest of the expulsions came in the 1840s
and 50s with the collapse, as in Ireland, of the
staple crop, the potato crop. Families were
evicted when they were at their most vulnerable.
Devine finds space for the voices of those sent
into exile, often ignored in the past because
their accounts, mainly told through song and
poetry, were in Gaelic. Coming from the Lowlands,
Canada, the US and Australia, they record
homesickness but also a rage and desire for
revenge, against both landlords and sheep.

My own family were moved from the machair on the
island of Berneray in the Sound of Harris in
1850, according to local historian Peter Kerr,
author of The Story of Emigration from Berneray,
Harris. Forced out with them were other
relatives: the family of one of Scotland’s
best-loved poets, and my cousin, Norman MacCaig.

MacCaig wrote extensively about his love of the
Highlands and believed the land should be
masterless. That does not equate to victimhood. I
do not feel any sense of victimhood either,
having seen the consequences when people around
the world cling to historical injustices. I just
want to know about Scotland’s past, and am
grateful to Devine for producing a balanced,
detailed and extremely readable account of one of
the saddest episodes in that history. He also
makes it harder for conservatives who persist in the claim it was all a myth.

The Scottish Clearances by TM Devine review – lives ruined for profit
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/dec/22/scottish-clearances-tm-devine-review-highlands

[Would have been nice to have some positives like
the fight back in Skye in 1882 which led to the
Crofting Act - enshrining traditional tenures in law until this very day...TG]

An eminent Scottish historian chronicles the loss
of land in the Highlands and records the voices of those sent into exile
Ewen MacAskill

Ewen MacAskill Sat 22 Dec 2018 07.30 GMT

[...]

• The Scottish Clearances: a History of the
Dispossessed 1600 to 1900, by TM Devine, is
published by Allen Lane. To order a copy for £22
(RRP £25) go to guardianbookshop.com or call 0330
333 6846. Free UK p&p over £10, online orders
only. Phone orders min p&p of £1.99.