'Violence as police try to break up peaceful London-wide street parties': Echoes of 1994 CJA this weekend

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Sun Jun 28 19:40:11 BST 2020

'Violence starts as police try to break up street
parties': Echoes of 1994 CJA all over London this weekend
http://tlio.org.uk/violence-starts-as-police-try-to-break-up-street-party-echoes-of-1994-cja-all-over-london-this-weekend/

How UK Ravers Raged Against the Ban
The 1994 Criminal Justice Act is responsible for
the club culture we know today.
As far as bizarrely vindictive legislation goes,
Section 63 of the 1994 Criminal Justice Act is up
there with any other needlessly discriminatory
British law. Giving police the power to shut down
events featuring music that's “characterised by
the emission of a succession of repetitive
beats”, the clause was aimed unequivocally at one
particular glass-eyed, cheek-chewing threat to
the nation's youth: the UK’s illegal rave scene.
https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/vd8gbj/anti-rave-act-protests-20th-anniversary-204

[]

Revolt of the Ravers – The Movement against the
Criminal Justice Act in Britain 1993-95
It is now twenty years since the British
government first announced that it was bringing
in new laws to prevent free parties and
festivals. The legislation that ended up as the
Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994
prompted a mass movement of defiance with long
lasting and sometimes unexpected consequences.
https://datacide-magazine.com/revolt-of-the-ravers-the-movement-against-the-criminal-justice-act-in-britain-1993-95/

Riot police fail to disperse unlicensed street parties anwhere in London
Harrow Road/Riverton Close, in Maida Hill,
Newham, Kingston, West Kilburn, Clapham Common and Brixton
In another night of tension between police and
Londoners, officers were called to a number of illegal raves across the capital
By Sam Truelove Senior reporter 10:23, 27 JUN 2020
https://www.mylondon.news/news/south-london-news/riot-police-pelted-bottles-missiles-18498729
Hundreds of people attended a handful of
unlicensed music events across London in another
night where police were attacked by revellers.
Riot police were reportedly pelted with bottles
and other missiles as they attempted to disperse
crowds in West London, while around 300 youths
were seen drinking and listening to music in Kingston.
[]

One man was arrested on suspicion of possessing a
firearm after police were called to a block party in Newham.
Cressida Dick, the Metropolitan Police
Commissioner, says “consequences will follow” for
those who attack officers and damage property as
she promised to continue to shut down illegal parties in the capital.
Below are all the unlicensed music events that we
are aware of which happened on Friday night (June 26).

Harrow Road/Riverton Close, in Maida Hill and West Kilburn
Hundreds of people attended a block party in
Harrow Road, West London (Image: Charlie Jones)
Police were first called to Harrow Road, in the
area between Maida Hill and West Kilburn, to
reports of an unlicensed music event at 3pm.
Reports on social media suggested hundreds of
youths and young adults were at the event, with
videos showing the group in a stand off with
officers in riot equipment near a block of flats.
One video appears to show riot police being
pelted with bottles and other missiles as they
attempted to disperse the crowds.
MyLondon journalist Charlie Jones was reporting
live from the party and said: "Violence started
earlier tonight as police tried to break up a
party just off the Harrow Road in West London."
He added at 11.40pm: "Harrow Road party has moved
a few streets down. Officers haves blocked most
entrances. MC is saying three minutes left,
suggests the police have given an end time.
"We’ve been on the last song for about 20 minutes
now at Harrow Road party. Police still in
position blocking main entrance/ exit with a hard line - no one let through."
At some point during the evening, the party
seemed to move to Riverton Close with the large
group continuing to play music and congregate until the early hours.
A spokesperson for the Metropolitan Police said
no arrests were made: "Police are responding to
an unlicensed music event on Harrow Road, W9.
Officers were called to the location around 3pm
following concerns from residents.
"Officers engaged with the attendees, who refused to leave the location.
"Following engagement within the local community
we are hopeful that crowds are dispersing. No arrests.
"A section 60 has been authorised in the vicinity
until 6pms on Saturday, June 27. Officers will
remain in the area in order to provide reassurance."

Newham
One man was arrested on suspicion of possessing a
firearm after a gun was allegedly found at a block party in Newham.
Police were called to Hoskins Close at 4.49pm to
reports of a large gathering of people who were setting up a sound system.
When officers arrived, a suspected firearm was discovered.
The crowds were dispersed and the man was taken into custody.
A spokesperson for the Met said: "A man has been
arrested and a firearm has been seized following
reports of a large gathering in Newham.
"Police were called to Hoskins Close, E16 at
4.49pm to a report of a large gathering of people
who were setting up a sound system.
"Officers attended and dispersed the crowd, they
remained on scene and a suspected firearm was
discovered, it was immediately seized.
"Following enquiries in the area, a suspect was
identified and was arrested for possession of a
firearm. Officers remain in the area."

Kingston
Around 300 people attended an unlicensed music
event in Kingston Riverside and Kingston town centre on Friday night.
More than 50 police officers were called to the
area at 11pm to disperse the group.
It was the second time in 24 hours police were
called to Kingston Riverside, with more than 200
people seen "drinking alcohol and playing loud
music" on Thursday night (June 25).
A spokesperson for the Met said on Saturday
morning: "At approx 11pm last night, over 50
officers from Emergency Response Team A, other
South West BCU teams and Met Task Force enforced
the dispersal order for Kingston town centre.
Approx 250-300 people were removed from Kingston Riverside and the town centre.
"A dispersal order, issued under Section 35 of
the Police and Crime Act 2014 remains in place
until 12.29am [on] Sunday, June 29. This gives
police the power to direct people to leave the
area and not return within 48 hours. Anyone
breaching this direction can be arrested."

West Kilburn
Hundreds of people were spotted on Parry Road in
West Kilburn on Friday evening listening to music.
Videos posted on social media show revellers
listening to the loud music at around 12am.
It's understood the group moved from Parry Road
to near Lynford Community Hall at some point during the evening.
A spokesperson for the Met said: "In response to
the on going incident on Parry Road, W10 we have
our eyes in the sky @NPASSouthEast monitoring."

Clapham Common
Reports on social media suggest around 500 people
were spotted on Clapham Common late on Friday night.
Again, loud music was being played through a sound system.
One person said on Twitter: "Clapham Common has
500 yuppies partying with a sound system. I don’t
care except that 1 mile down the road is Brixton,
where riot police turn up to shut down much smaller parties."
Another tweeted at 12.40am: "People are still in
Clapham Common park at this time. Bloody foxes."

Brixton
Police respond to the unlicensed music event in
Blenheim Gardens, Brixton (Image: @MPSWestminster)
It's understood there was an unlicensed music
event on Blenheim Gardens, Brixton. on Friday night.
Police were called at around 12am and remained at
the scene throughout the night.
A spokesperson for the Met said: "Public Order
Trained Officers are on scene at Blenheim
Gardens, W11 along with @NPASSouthEast dealing
with an incident. We apologise for any
inconvenience caused but we are worked to bring
the event to a safe conclusion."

What have police said?
The Metropolitan Police Commissioner says
“consequences will follow” for those who attack
officers and damage property as she promised to
shut down illegal parties in London over the weekend.
Cressida Dick writes in The Sun that it has been
a “very difficult week” in the capital, with
officers coming under attack as they tried to break up crowds.
Metropolitan Police Commissioner Cressida Dick
has promised to shut down illegal parties in
London (Image: John Stillwell/PA Wire)
The commissioner said: “The officers I met this
week were poised to deal with whatever they
faced. Hundreds ready in full kit, should there
be a violent or aggressive crowd to deal with.
“My message to those involved in thuggery and
criminal damage is consequences will follow.”
The top officer earlier said the force had a
“duty” to stop unlawful music events during the
Covid-19 pandemic and vowed: “We will be prepared this weekend.”
She suggested the number of police injuries is
now “heading up to 140-odd officers” in the past
three weeks, including those hurt during protests
in the wake of the death of George Floyd in the US.
The commissioner said: “We have seen some large
numbers of people completely flouting the health
regulations, seeming not to care at all about
their own or their families’ health and wanting to have large parties.
“It is hot. Some people have drunk far too much.
Some people are just angry and aggressive and some people are plain violent.
“We will be prepared this weekend. We have
officers all over London working hard again to
try to keep the peace and to protect our public from violence and disorder.”