Ecological Land Co-op Opening New Market Gardens, BBC Farming Today

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Mon May 11 12:10:10 BST 2020

Buying Agricultural Land, Dividing It Up For
Market Gardens. Ecological Land Coop, BBC Farming Today
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InFS4eJFM78

06/05/20 - Small farms and market gardening

<https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qj8q>Farming Today
The Ecological Land Cooperative says small farms
could and should play an important role in the
future of our food system. It buys agricultural
land, then divides it into small-holdings, gets
planning permission for houses on each one then
sells or rents the plots at well below market
value. The idea is to allow new entrants into
farming without the need for huge capital. We
find out more and visit a vegetable farm in Devon
that grows more than 50 varieties of veg on less than an acre.
Presented by Anna Hill
Produced by Heather Simons
download/listen
https://open.live.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/6/redir/version/2.0/mediaset/audio-nondrm-download/proto/https/vpid/p08cc14w.mp3
Emacs!

BBC link - expires in 24 days time (stupidly)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04cbnn2

ELC 2020 Share Offer

https://ecologicalland.coop/2020investor
Small farms, big solutions -- join the ELC as an investor member

An ageing population of farmers, losses of small
and family farms, huge barriers to land ownership
and an unprecedented environmental crisis see the
social enterprise Ecological Land Cooperative
(ELC) announce a new Community Share Investment
Offer. The ELC’s plans for a mosaic of small
ecological farms will regenerate rural areas -
putting healthy food and a healthy planet centre stage.

<https://www.ethex.org.uk/elc2020>Become an investor member here.

Shockingly perhaps nearly half the land in the UK
is owned by just 25,000 people – less than 1% of
the population. And much of that land is
dominated by industrial methods of production
that come at great cost to the natural world. Yet
there is another way. There is huge potential for
the growth of agroecology - agriculture that
works together with natural ecology.

Since 2009 the ELC has worked to develop
affordable, low impact, small farms for
ecological agriculture that can improve soil
health, boost biodiversity and invigorate rural
communities. Supporting small-scale, ethically
minded farmers, the ELC is the only national
organisation in England and Wales to offer
residential farms for ecological land users. A
member-led social enterprise, the ELC challenges
the twin barriers facing new entrants to farming:
high land prices and legal permission (planning consent).

Oli Rodker, Site Development Director, for the
ELC, says: “For far too long land ownership has
been concentrated and land skills have been lost.
We need more people involved in ecological food
production and more people working the land in rural communities.

The climate crisis and nature crisis tell us we
need to act urgently to improve how we manage
land. ELC’s passionate and innovative farmers can
do this, while producing the healthy food that we
need. Small agro-ecological farms allow for a
better understanding of nature and are
cornerstones in reversing environmental ruin.

By backing our vision and investing in our 2020
share offer you are giving us the chance to
create more farms, protect land and speed up this
transition to agro-ecological land use. By
supporting us you are supporting rural communities, nature and the climate.”

Access to Land

There are five ELC sites: from Cornwall to East
Sussex and the Gower to Somerset. In 2017,
£440,000 was raised to create these farms. The
aim for the 2020 appeal is raise up to £400,000
to develop more sites - with a target of creating
18 new small farms on six new sites by the end of
2023. By doing so ecological agriculture becomes
a recognised and practical way to address the
issues of climate change, rural underdevelopment
and getting new entrants into farming.

There are multiple small farms on each site –
enabling skill sharing, community and diversity
of production. A variety of products are grown
from salad and veg to herbal medicine, goats
cheese and apple trees with 99 acres of land so
far returned to eco farming practices.

Sinead and Adam are two new ELC farmers. Growing
up in the urban context of London and Essex, the
prospect of farming was a distant dream for them.

Yet their deep interest in the natural world and
where our food comes from propelled them to
volunteer at the urban farm Audacious Veg in
South London. It turned out that growing was
infectious, and their hobby soon became a career
when they took over operations on the farm.

Impassioned about the urgent need for more
ecological agriculture in the UK, that can fix
our broken system and provide healthy food to
local communities, they set their hearts on
farming their own land as a profession and way of
life. The pure joy that the diversity of plant
life, colour and insect population brought to
them stirred a deep longing to do more. But with
land prices at £9000/acre their aspiration seemed impossible.

Thanks to the support of the ELC, they can now
start their enterprise to grow an astonishing
array of edible flowers, cut flowers, herbs,
heritage veg and leafy greens on their farm in
East Sussex. This is all done through
regenerative farming practices like "no-dig’
which works to undo the damage of intensive
farming by rebuilding soil structure and locking
carbon into the soil. These methods reduce the
need for pesticides and fertilisers whilst
boosting biodiversity and reducing greenhouse gas emissions.

“It’s no secret that access into farming for new
entrants is really hard in the UK,” says Sinead.
“Given our backgrounds growing up in cities with
no links to food and farming, the chances of us
being able to pursue livelihoods in this sector were going to be slim.”

Sinead and Adam are just two of an increasing
number of custodians of ELC land, growing,
nurturing and harvesting for what they
passionately believe is a better future. With
help from the new round of financing the hard
work of the ELC can spread to other rural areas.
The model allows the ELC to keep costs low, both
through buying larger sites at a lower price per
acre, and through distributing the cost of
infrastructure, planning applications and
subsequent site monitoring across a number of
farms. The model allows the farmers to work and
learn together and to provide mutual support. The
cooperative retains the freehold on each farm in
order to protect it for affordable agricultural
and ecological use in perpetuity.

An ethical yet smart investment

It works for investors too who are offered a 3%
interest on share capital annually. One investor
commented: “I felt compelled to support the ELC,
even if a small contribution. It seems to be the
only organisation dedicated to tackling the major
causes of our current social, environmental and
economic predicament. ELC is dedicated to
supporting ordinary people to access land, and to
manage it in an ecological way, which most people
could not afford to do on their own. Not only
that, the land is nurtured to grow local,
healthy, environmentally-sound food and
regenerate the local economy. The ELC is also
structured as a horizontal, democratically
accountable cooperative, with a proven record in
helping people achieve these aims - a very sound investment for the future.”

The ELC 2020 Share offer is looking to raise
between £120,000 and £400,000 in ten weeks.
Working with
<https://www.ethex.org.uk/elc2020>Ethex, a
socially conscious savings and investment
platform, the share offer will raise finance for
the development of ecological small farms for new
entrant farmers - those that wouldn’t otherwise
be able to afford to access land and start farming.

Find out more at
<https://www.ethex.org.uk/elc2020>https://www.ethex.org.uk/elc2020