[Diggers350] Saturday 24th July: Mass Trespass on the Brighton Downs

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Fri Jul 23 02:14:52 BST 2021

>Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2021 13:25:27 +0100 (BST)
>
>Dear all,
>There will be a mass trespass on the Brighton
>Downs on Saturday 24th July, with a preceding
>webinar on Thursday 15th July to debate the
>issues of access to our countryside.
>Check out these links BELOW and make sure you
>SIGN UP at the website for further updates and
>information. Please SPREAD THE MESSAGE.
>The day will be peaceful and fun, and with new delights to see !
>dave bangs  https://landscapesoffreedom.com/about/
>Website: <http://www.landscapesoffreedom.com>www.landscapesoffreedom.com
>Facebook:
><http://www.facebook.com/landscapesoffreedom>www.facebook.com/landscapesoffreedom
>
>Twitter: <https://twitter.com/LandscapesofF>https://twitter.com/LandscapesofF
>Instagram:
><https://www.instagram.com/landscapesoffreedom/>https://www.instagram.com/landscapesoffreedom/
>
><http://www.facebook.com/landscapesoffreedom>Landscapes of Freedom
>Landscapes of Freedom, Brighton and Hove.
>Landscapes of Freedom is an exciting new
>collective of people passionate about supporting
>the Right to Roam and ensuring...
<https://landscapesoffreedom.com/>Landscapes of Freedom

[]
Emacs!

<https://landscapesoffreedom.com/>Landscapes of Freedom

Supporting the Right to Roam across the South Downs
    * <https://landscapesoffreedom.com/blog/>LATEST NEWS
    * <https://landscapesoffreedom.com/about/>ABOUT US
    * <https://landscapesoffreedom.com/about-freeroaming/>ABOUT FREE WALKING
    * <https://landscapesoffreedom.com/get-involved/>GET INVOLVED!
[]

Email Address:

JOIN THE MOVEMENT

JOIN US FOR A MASS TRESPASS!

Saturday 24th July 2021

The fate of our Brighton Downs sharply symbolises
the fate of much of our modern private countryside.

Within the lifetimes of our oldest people living
today the South Downs used to be a ‘Landscape of
Freedom’, with great open scented, flowery
pastures, rolling, close-cropped ‘sheep walks’ –
largely unfenced – over which people could freely
wander, whilst Skylarks made music in the heavens above our heads.

To be sure, the mad economics of imperial food
policy and the craziness of two world wars had
seen these biodiverse ‘chalk grasslands’ greatly
neglected in a century of agricultural
depression, then turned into army training
ranges, and cleared and destroyed by dig-for-victory and post-war ploughing.

Even now there are nearly two hundred shattered
fragments of these pastures surviving locally

mostly on slopes too steep to plough
 mostly in
poor condition
 mostly unknown to us all.

We lost our freedom to wander. We lost most of
this hugely-rich ecosystem
this ‘rainforest in miniature’.

We were driven from the places we’d played in as children.

NOW we want our Landscape of Freedom back!

This July a new alliance of free walkers, local
and national, are organising a peaceful mass
trespass on Saturday 24th July, 10.30am, to re-connect with our local Downland.

‘Landscapes of Freedom’ is a new local activist
group, organising with and in support of the
national <http://righttoroam.org.uk/>Right to Roam campaign.

This is in the tradition of the campaign of
peaceful mass trespasses that were organised to
support government proposals for a limited right
to roam in the Countryside and Rights of Way Act
(2000)
 and in the tradition of the famous Kinder Scout mass trespass of 1932.

Come join us for fun and celebration of our threatened Downland wildlife
for:

‘What the eye cannot see the heart cannot grieve over’
WE WANT OUR LANDSCAPE OF FREEDOM BACK!

THURSDAY 15th JULY

Online event / talks, spoken word, song

(More details to follow soon).

SATURDAY 24TH JULY

All day walk and picnic

TIME: 10.30am

PLACE: TO BE ANNOUNCED NEARER THE TIME

WATCH THIS SPACE: landscapesoffreedom at gmail.com

To stay updated, please also visit our social
media sites and the hashtags #LandscapesOfFreedom and #Right2Roam

<https://www.facebook.com/Landscapes-of-Freedom-108913771420652>Facebook
<https://www.instagram.com/landscapesoffreedom/>Instagram
<https://twitter.com/LandscapesofF>Twitter

Supporting the Right to Roam across the South Downs
    * <https://landscapesoffreedom.com/blog/>LATEST NEWS
    * <https://landscapesoffreedom.com/about/>ABOUT US
    * <https://landscapesoffreedom.com/about-freeroaming/>ABOUT FREE WALKING
    * <https://landscapesoffreedom.com/get-involved/>GET INVOLVED!

ABOUT US

Landscapes of Freedom is an exciting new
collective of people passionate about ensuring
public access to the South Downs.
We believe it is fundamentally wrong that 92% of
all of England’s land and 97% of its waterways
are off limits to the general public. We are
campaigning for a Right to Roam so that people
across the nation can have access to the
countryside, just like in Scotland today.

Here in Sussex the limited right to roam on
unimproved down pasture and heath introduced in
the year 2000 has brought only minor enlargements
of access land. Most of our countryside,
including most of our Downs, remain inaccessible.
This includes areas which are officially ‘access
land’ but can only be accessed through trespassing!

This movement is determinedly non-hierarchical,
intersectional and justice based. We affirm an
anti-discriminatory vision and mission. We know
about the brutal legacies of enclosure, slavery
and colonialism which have propped up the British
aristocracy for centuries and have simultaneously
severed people, particularly those most
marginalised, from the land, while lining the
pockets and expanding the estates of the richest.
Once again, it is those made poor and disposessed
who have had to pay for the crimes of the richest.

The countryside belongs to us all and Landscapes
of Freedom is committed to a campaign for public
land centered around intersectional justice for
all communities. We are a peaceful campaign which
is determined to help preserve Downland for
future generations and which recognises the
importance of biodiversity and people’s
connection to the natural world as being central
in the global struggle for climate justice.

For more information about fellow organisations
also working on land justice, please visit:

<https://www.righttoroam.org.uk/>The Right to
Roam – “A national campaign to expand the
Countryside & Rights of Way (CRoW) Act in England
so that millions more people can have easy access
to open space, and the physical, mental and
spiritual health benefits that it brings.”
<https://landinournames.community/>Land in Our
Names – LION – “A grassroots Black-led collective
committed to reparations in Britain by connecting
land and climate justice with racial justice.”