[Diggers350] New Planning Bill an ‘utter disaster’, say countryside campaigners

shane shane at gn.apc.org
Tue May 11 23:32:31 BST 2021

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the link.

Strange but it's not really a Planning Bill, as planners did not plan
it, it is a developers bill, developed by developers for developers*.

*Who have donated around £11m to the Tories. In the Chumocracy, who pays
the piper calls the tune.

Shane

On 11/05/2021 19:21, Mark Brown wrote:

> Critics say bill unveiled in Queen’s speech to spur housebuilding will
> bring ‘dark age of development’
> Ministers are expected to enact a radical shift by zoning land either
> for growth or protection.
>
> by Robert Booth, The Guardian
> Tue 11 May 2021
> Ref: <a
> href="https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/may/11/johnsons-planning-laws-an-utter-disaster-say-countryside-campaigners"
> rel="noopener"
> target="_blank">https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/may/11/johnsons-planning-laws-an-utter-disaster-say-countryside-campaigners">https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/may/11/johnsons-planning-laws-an-utter-disaster-say-countryside-campaigners
> <https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/may/11/johnsons-planning-laws-an-utter-disaster-say-countryside-campaigners></a>
>

> A dramatic loosening of planning laws to create a housebuilding boom
> will damage local democracy and destroy swathes of countryside by
> granting property developers a freer hand to build over green fields,
> planning experts have warned.
>
> The new laws, part of the government’s “Project Speed” to accelerate
> infrastructure projects, are intended to increase the number of homes
> being planned by more than a third, and were announced in the Queen’s
> speech. But critics described them as “an utter disaster” which would
> return the country to “a deregulated dark age of development”.
>
> Ministers are expected to enact a radical shift in the way decisions
> are made on new developments by zoning land either for growth, where
> developers will be allowed to build homes and related infrastructure
> such as schools and hospitals without individual planning consents, or
> protection where development will be restricted.
>
> It wants to boost home ownership in areas of increasing Conservative
> support in northern England and the Midlands and will use post-Brexit
> freedoms to “simplify … environmental assessments for developments”.
>
> It said there will be stronger rules on design – but countryside
> campaigners warned the changes would lead to the “suburbanisation” of
> the countryside and “rural sprawl” without delivering much-needed
> affordable housing.
>
> The councils body the Local Government Information Unit said the
> changes would “leave local government with the political liability on
> planning whilst depriving them … of the powers to manage it effectively”.
>
> The Queen’s speech did not include a bill to improve regulation of
> social housing despite a government white paper last year. Grenfell
> United, which represents the bereaved and survivors of the 2017
> council block disaster, said it was “deeply let down” at the failure
> to “redress the balance of power between social housing tenants and
> landlords”.
>
> Plans to reform leaseholds went as far as a new bill so leaseholders
> [...]

Cllr Shane Collins
07952 929 710

https://rebellion.earth/international-rebellion/

Green Party District Councillor, Keyford Ward, Frome
Leader of the Green Party group on Mendip District Council
https://eastmendip.greenparty.org.uk/
https://www.facebook.com/SFGreens

The Green Gathering - Winner of the Greener Festival Award 2017
30th July - 2nd August 2020
www.greengathering.org.uk/
www.facebook.com/greengathering

Please sign the Somerset Council Pension Divest Petition
https://campaigns.gofossilfree.org/petitions/divest-somerset-county-council-pension-fund-from-fossil-fuels

Switch EDF Off. We pay you £40 to switch from nuclear to renewables.
www.switchedfoff.org.uk

Extinction Rebellion. https://rebellion.earth/act-now/join-us/

Proper News Sites
www.lobster-magazine.co.uk
https://theintercept.com
http://www.democracynow.org/
http://cryptogon.com/
http://www.jeremyleggett.net/
https://theecologist.org
http://www.ecohustler.co.uk
http://arctic-news.blogspot.co.uk/p/about.html

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that
you end up being governed by your inferiors." Plato

then you win." Mahatma Gandhi

“The conscious and intelligent manipulation of the organized habits and
opinions of the masses is an important element in democratic society.
Those who manipulate this unseen mechanism of society constitute an
invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country.”
Edward Bernays, Propaganda

"The planet is my nation and my religion is to do good." Tom Paine

"For whom enough is too little - nothing is ever enough."

"The dinosaurs never saw the asteroid coming. What’s our excuse?” Neil deGrasse Tyson