[Diggers350] Labour/Plaid Cymru destroy natural woods in Wales, corporates elbowing out locals, grabbing grazing land to ‘offset their carbon footprint’

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Wed Feb 16 21:18:53 GMT 2022

Zero Carbon Watch: Labour and Plaid Cymru
destroying natural woods in Wales, selling off
grazing to corporate interests to ‘offset their carbon footprint’

https://tlio.org.uk/labour-plaid-cymru-destroying-natural-woods-in-wales-while-selling-off-farmland-to-corporate-interests-to-offset-their-carbon-footprints/

<https://tlio.org.uk/labour-plaid-cymru-destroying-natural-woods-in-wales-while-selling-off-farmland-to-corporate-interests-to-offset-their-carbon-footprints/>12
February 2022
<https://tlio.org.uk/author/tony/>Tony Gosling
<https://tlio.org.uk/labour-plaid-cymru-destroying-natural-woods-in-wales-while-selling-off-farmland-to-corporate-interests-to-offset-their-carbon-footprints/#respond>Leave
a comment

Net Zero policies destroying communities: ‘Save
our valley’: Villagers in Cwrt-y-Cadno fighting
proposals to plant trees on agricultural land

Thursday 10 February 2022 Hannah Thomas, Rural Affairs Correspondent, ITV Wales
<https://www.itv.com/news/wales/2022-02-10/the-villagers-hitting-back-against-plans-to-plant-trees-on-agricultural-land>https://www.itv.com/news/wales/2022-02-10/the-villagers-hitting-back-against-plans-to-plant-trees-on-agricultural-land

This time last year, tenant farmers Ian O’Connor
and his wife Rhiannon were hoping to buy their
first farm together in Cwrt-y-Cadno. Born and
brought up in the heart of the Cothi Valley, they
have a strong attachment to the area. The farm
next door, Frongoch, was up for sale. They had
two small boys and were looking to raise their young family there.

But they were outbid. Not by other farmers, but
by an investor company called Foresight Ltd,
which is based in the centre of London. They
purchased the land with the intention of planting
trees there and “offsetting” carbon emissions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z5UdVsxEB4
Emacs!

When the local community at Cwrt-y-Cadno
discovered these proposals, there was widespread
opposition. For generations it has been sheep
farming country. And local farmers were dismayed
that prime agricultural land was being taken to plant non-native conifer trees.

For their part, Foresight Ltd say they began to
engage with people living near Cwrt-y-Cadno from
the beginning. They told me: “A fundamental part
of Foresight’s approach to forestry is to listen
to and work closely with the local community.
We’ve been doing this at Frongoch for the past
few months, adjusting our plans to try to
accommodate key concerns – for example, we have
confirmed that we will not be planting any trees in the valley basin.”

As last year wore on, I was told by farmers
across Wales about more land that was being
bought up by big companies, such as major UK
airlines, to plant thousands of trees and offset their carbon emissions.

But the turning point in Cwrt-y-Cadno came three
weeks ago, when a petition was launched by the
local community to “save the valley”. As I write,
it has nearly sixty thousand signatures and
lobbies Foresight Ltd to change their plans.
A petition was launched by the local community to “save the valley”.

I met those villagers who started that petition at the historic Cwrt
Methodist Chapel in the middle of the tiny rural
hamlet. They were stood outside a building
visited by former US President Jimmy Carter, and
were looking down a valley labelled an “ancient
area of exceptional beauty”. They spoke of how
they did not want to see their community
“irreversibly destroyed”. They acknowledge that
there is a need to plant more trees, and that
Wales must play its part in the global ffort to
tackle climate change. But they also spoke of how
they did not want to see young people displaced
off the land, and forced to leave the area in
order to find futures they can afford.

I then joined Ian O’Connor and his wife Rhiannon,
who now have a third child – a baby boy born last
month. In the middle of lambing, they told me
about their disappointment that they could not buy Frongoch Farm.

Their biggest fear is that they will never be
able to purchase a farm in Carmarthenshire and
rear their three little boys close to home. But
they say that Foresight Ltd have worked with them
during the process and have no criticism of the company itself.

Their concerns rest with Welsh Government policy.
The Welsh Government has a target of seeing 86
million trees planted across Wales over the next
nine years. Public money is available through its
Glastir scheme to anyone wishing to plant trees
on their land. Ian and Rhiannon believe that the
Welsh Government is making it “enticing” for firms to hunt for farms in Wales.
The Welsh Government has a target of seeing 86
million trees planted across Wales over the next nine years.

Yesterday, the Deputy Minister for Climate Change
[and concealed self-immolation] Lee Waters, told
ITV Cymru Wales that “the threat of climate
change hasn’t gone away. Just because we are
three months on from COP people seem to think
that we are out of the woods and we are not.

In order to reach those targets of getting to net
zero we have to do things differently, and one of
the things that we have to do – according to the
independent UK Climate Change Commission – is to
change about 10% of the land we use in Wales away
from sheep farming and towards planting mixed woodlands.”

When tackled about whether Welsh Government
policy and funding makes it attractive for
investors to buy up land here, Mr Waters said:
“there’s also a role for other companies to come
in and put that money to use in Wales. Because we
will benefit from the carbon sequestration, we
will benefit from the biodiversity, we will
benefit from the timber that is created to create Welsh jobs and Welsh homes.”

But the National Farmers Union in Wales (NFU
Cymru) does not believe we have got that balance
between forestry and farming right yet. The
director of NFU Cymru, John Mercer, lives in
Cwrt-y-Cadno and his family roots run deep there.
I asked him whether we needed to give more
farmland up in Wales to tree planting.

He says that farmers are trying to do more, but
want to integrate trees on parts of the farm
where they cannot produce food. His argument is
that the UK is just 60% self-sufficient in food,
and his worry is that if this drops further, we
will have to import more food from countries with
lower climate change targets than British
farmers. The NFU has an ambition to be carbon net zero by 2040.
The row over 265 acres in Cwrt-y-Cadno is set to rumble on.

This is far from just about farming, however.
Environmental organisations have also lent their
voices to the idea that the plan for Cwrt-y-Cadno
is a controversial one. Clive Roberts from the
West Wales Rivers Trust is an advocate for
biodiversity in the Cothi Valley. He says that
the River Cothi near Cwrt-y-Cadno is one of the
few places left in Wales where salmon and sewin
successfully spawn. He says that scientific
evidence shows that planting too many conifer
trees in a certain area can acidify waterways and kill off species of fish.

The row over 265 acres in Cwrt-y-Cadno will
undoubtedly rumble on though. Foresight Ltd say
that their “draft scheme for Frongoch has been
sensitively designed to incorporate a diverse mix
of tree species, to include open spaces for
natural habitat, and to deliver both
environmental benefits and a significant
improvement in biodiversity levels. We recognise
that this is a special valley and are working
hard to ensure that our plans for it will ensure it remains so.”

Local people are working hard to protect that
too. Because they say once it’s gone, it’s gone forever.