[Diggers350] Dartmoor Wild Camping Protest POSTPONED - Homeless deaths up 85%

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Sat Apr 22 12:05:02 BST 2023

The Land Is Ours land reform protest gathering
and discussion - Dartmoor Wild Camping protest
which was planned for Mayday bank holiday Sat 29th Apr has been - POSTPONED!
https://tlio.org.uk/the-land-is-ours-gathering-and-discussion-near-two-bridges-dartmoor-peaceful-wild-camping-protest-saturday-29th-april-monday-1st-may-2023/

85% rise in UK homeless tent/doorway deaths since
2019, annual figure reaches 1,300

<https://tlio.org.uk/85-rise-in-uk-homeless-tent-doorway-deaths-since-2019-annual-figure-reaches-1300/>22
April 2023 -
<https://tlio.org.uk/85-rise-in-uk-homeless-tent-doorway-deaths-since-2019-annual-figure-reaches-1300/#respond>Leave
a comment
https://tlio.org.uk/85-rise-in-uk-homeless-tent-doorway-deaths-since-2019-annual-figure-reaches-1300/

<https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/thousands-bristol-families-effectively-cut-8344734>See
also – 9,000 Bristol families removed from council housing waiting list

More than 1,300 people died while homeless in UK during 2022

<https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/apr/20/more-than-1300-people-died-while-homeless-in-uk-during-2022>https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/apr/20/more-than-1300-people-died-while-homeless-in-uk-during-2022

Charity says stronger policy and investment
needed to tackle ‘appalling loss of life’, after 85% rise in deaths since 2019
<https://www.theguardian.com/profile/dahaba-ali-hussen>Dahaba
Ali Hussen– Thu 20 Apr 2023

Emacs!

More than 1,300 people in the UK died while
homeless last year, according to figures that
highlight the stark regional differences within
the UK, as cuts to health, mental health and drug
and alcohol services took their toll.

Research by the charity Museum of
<https://www.theguardian.com/society/homelessness>Homelessness
shows that the number of homeless people who died
in 2022 was 1,313, an 85% increase on the numbers
recorded by the study just three years earlier.

<https://museumofhomelessness.org/news/museum-of-homelessness-honours-the-1313-people-experiencing-homelessness-who-died-in-2022>The
figures include people sleeping rough as well as
those placed in emergency accommodation and other
insecure settings. Each death was verified by a
freedom of information request, coroners’ report, charity or family member.

Matt Turtle, co-founder of the Museum of
Homelessness, said: “A toxic cocktail of cuts,
criminalisation and crackdowns is making life
even harder for the UK’s most vulnerable people.
Just tinkering around the edges as the government
plans won’t fix the damage of the last 12 years.

“Far stronger policy and investment are needed to
deal with the appalling loss of life. With a
heavy heart we expect to report more of the same
in 2024, but with our colleagues we will continue
to do what we can to save lives.”

The research showed that while there was a small
year-on-year increase over the past year (2%),
the differences between England, Scotland, Wales
and Northern Ireland were significant.

Fatalities in England rose by 22% to 875, and by
27% to 76 in Wales. In Northern Ireland the
number of deaths fell by 37% to 205, but are more
than double the level seen in 2020 after a large
spike last year. Scotland’s 157 deaths were a 15%
decrease on the previous year.

The UK-wide figures were an increase on the
verified
<https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/mar/31/1200-died-while-homeless-in-uk-in-2021>1,286
deaths in 2021,
<https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/feb/22/uk-homeless-deaths-rise-by-more-than-a-third-in-a-year-study-finds>976
in 2020, and 710 in 2019.

The annual audit by the Museum of Homelessness
found most deaths occurred among people living in
emergency housing or hostels, with 83% of deaths
taking place when the person was in some form of
accommodation. The figures also showed that 85%
of those who died were under the age of 65.

Turtle said: “The fact that so many people
continue to die in unregulated, taxpayer-funded
accommodation run by rogue landlords is a disgrace.”

The charity said that its figures were likely to
be an underestimate as not all local authorities
had replied to FoI requests, including large
councils such as Birmingham, Blackpool, Ealing and Hackney.

Paula Barker, a Labour MP and the shadow
homelessness and rough sleeping minister, said:
“This government’s track record in tackling all
forms of homelessness is abysmal. It’s been clear
for a long time that there are deep-rooted
problems across supported and temporary
accommodation. Each death is a tragedy and these figures are deeply worrying.”

According to the research, the number of deaths
has increased in all different categories of
homeless accommodation since last year. The
largest increases include those in rough sleeper
accommodation and temporary accommodation, both marking 10% increases.

Where the cause of the death is recorded, 36% of
deaths related to drugs and alcohol and 10% died by suicide.

Jessica Turtle, co-founder of the Museum of
Homelessness, said: “The leading cause of death,
year on year, is people dying either from
overdose or from drug and alcohol use. That’s a
way of self-soothing, self-medicating. People who
usually have active addictions like that is
usually because life is really hard.”

Francesca Albanese, acting director of policy and
external affairs at the charity Crisis, said:
“Behind each of these statistics is a human
being, a life cut short and potential unrealised.
The fact that anyone dies while homeless is shameful.

“That many of these deaths are happening while in
emergency or supported accommodation is shocking
– these are places that should provide some
respite and a foothold out of homelessness and
yet in many cases the reverse is true. We cannot let this continue.”

A Department for Levelling Up,
<https://www.theguardian.com/society/housing>Housing
and Communities spokesperson said: “We are
determined to end rough sleeping for good. That
is why we published our £2bn cross-government
strategy setting out our plan to tackle
homelessness and rough sleeping over the next three years.

“This includes £186m to help those with drug and
alcohol addiction access recovery services and up
to £53m for suitable and stable accommodation.

“Councils have a duty to ensure temporary
accommodation is suitable and we are providing
them with £654m over two years to help prevent homelessness.”