[Diggers350] The Land: Important Planning Changes Announcement

Simon Fairlie scythes at myphone.coop
Tue Oct 31 01:07:54 GMT 2023

Dear Friends,

Please can you relay this  information through
your website, newsletter or network.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR READERS OF THE RURAL PLANNING HANDBOOK

Emacs!

The Levelling Up and Regeneration Act became law
on 26 October. After a period when nothing much
happened because of Brexit and then Covid, this
makes significant changes to planning law,
meaning that some of the material in the Rural
Planning Handbook is now out of date.

Judging from commentaries upon the Bill as it
passed,  the main areas of concern for impact
developers, smallholders and homeless settlers are:

(1) The four year rule disappears and it is now a
wait of ten years before one becomes immune from
enforcement, whether the breach is operational development or change of use.
(2) According to Section 104, if we understand it
correctly, someone subject to an enforcement
notice cannot appeal against it if they have,
within the previous  two years, been refused
planning permission for the same matter  (whether
or not they went to a planning appeal). The
government states that the object is to ensure
"there is only one opportunity to obtain planning
permission retrospectively after unauthorised development has taken place.”
(3) Planning applications will become mere
expensive, through  double costs for
retrospective applications, and fees for statutory consultees.
(4) There will be a new notice called an
Enforcement Warning Notice, asking a person to
submit a retrospective planning application

Eventually a new edition of the Handbook will
have to be produced. In the interim the book will
be sold with an insert explaining the changes.
  For more information see
<https://bills.parliament.uk/publications/49201/documents/2676>https://bills.parliament.uk/publications/49201/documents/2676

https://www.local.gov.uk/pas/our-work/levelling-and-regeneration-bill#:~:text=The%20Levelling%20Up%20and%20Regeneration,a%20charge%20on%20development%20for

Simon Fairlie
Monkton Wyld Court
Charmouth
Bridport
Dorset
DT6 6DQ

01297 561359 If no reply, please send an email
rather than leaving an answerphone message.

<http://www.thelandmagazine.org.uk/>http://www.thelandmagazine.org.uk/
http://www.thescytheshop.co.uk/

Simon Fairlie
Monkton Wyld Court
Charmouth
Bridport
Dorset
DT6 6DQ

01297 561359 If no reply, please send an email
rather than leaving an answerphone message.

WARNING: I am currently facing eviction from
Monkton Wyld Court, along with two other
community members  The Land magazine, the Scythe
Shop, and our micro dairy. New trustees of the
charity, who were only co-opted onto the
board  in January 2023, have given us notice to
quit. We are resisting. To find out more please
go to <http://www.monktonwyldcourtcase.co.uk/>www.monktonwyldcourtcase.co.uk

https://www.monktonwyldcourtcase.co.uk/news/
https://www.mwcfriends.org/
https://www.thelandmagazine.org.uk/