[Lac] Ingles: propuesta texto sobre plataforma

katitza at privaterra.org katitza at privaterra.org
Thu Mar 18 22:00:10 GMT 2004

Amigos/as

Aqui va la tradux al ingles. Muchas gracias Ginger por la rapidez del
trabajo. Cualquier sugerencia para la mejora de la tradux. Se agradece

Abrazos, Katitza

Version en Ingles.

The civil society organization: Latin American and Caribbean Caucus, an
active participant in the WSIS process, has followed the discussion on the
use of different platform options for collaborative interaction and joint
efforts online.  In consonance with our will to build an inclusive and
democratic information society we want the communications options within
the framework of this process to be the most simple, accessible and open
possible.

For this reason we recommend avoiding the use of platforms with demanding
hardware requirements.  We have seen platforms trialed this week that
require the use of Pentium III with 256MB RAM and the latest versions of
the different operating systems, without mentioning the necessity of
downloading a 38 mega software package.  In our region, these hardware
requirements and the connectivity necessary to download the software are
difficult for all of the people involved in the process to fulfill, which
introduces an inadmissible technological limit.  In reference to the
diversity of operating systems, we wish to eliminate up front any platform
that requires the use of proprietary software of one specific company to
the exclusion of others.  In this sense, we prefer to opt for a platform
which includes the greatest possible diversity of operating systems, and
that facilitates communication among the different elements of civil
society ensuring that meetings will be democratic and participative.

Given that for diverse reasons, from technical to ideological in nature,
no one from our region was present during the first platform trials, we
request of the task force in charge of these issues that the platform
trials use an inverse methodology:  that is, that the organizational
meetings and first trials be initiated in a more open and accessible
environment such as IRC, to progress later to involve testing and
additional complexities as the need arises.