Open Letter From Kurdish Hungerstri

kurdeng at aps.nl kurdeng at aps.nl
Sat Jul 15 23:51:21 BST 1995

Subject: Re: Open Letter From Kurdish Hungerstrikers

------------------------ Forwarded from : kcc at magi.com -------------------------

An Open Letter

The United Nations
The Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe
The International Red Cross
The Council of Europe
The European Parliament
The European Union
Amnesty International

     The United Nations and its affiliates, having the
responsibility for the peaceful coexistence of the peoples of the
world, are no doubt aware of the circumstances in our homeland,
Kurdistan. We, the Kurdish people, as responsible members of the
world community, wish to be treated fairly. We see you as a voice
of responsibility and reason and hence are making this
announcement to you as we do with various worldwide
organizations. Our people, having been denied status even as a
colonized people, before the eyes of the United Nations is left
to annihilation by this century's most vicious and barbaric
regimes. What Saddam saw fit to bring upon the Kurdish people has
not yet left our conscience. Today, a similar savagery is being
planned and executed by the Turkish regime in Kurdish lands. Our
settlements are being destroyed, forests burnt, and all of our
land is being systematically deprive of all life. Our people are
being stripped forcibly from their lands and are condemned to
die. Millions of our people are fighting disease and starvation
as they flee their homeland. For those who migrate to the
metropolitan areas, hunger, unemployment, and "mystery killings"
are new realities. Each day, new attacks are added to the special
teams and contra-guerrilla savagery. Even the dead are not exempt
from the torture which is rooted in racism and fascist
aggression. Today's realities include the rape of young and old
women, houses burnt, and villages destroyed. It is impossible to
speak of human rights while a people, its culture, its language,
and its history are being denied and systematically destroyed.
While the whole world watches in silence, we cannot accept the
death sentences being served upon our people.
     The Kurdish national liberation movement, under the
leadership of the PKK, represents vast portions of Kurdish
society and is taking shape with great difficulty and pains. This
movement has proven that despite incredible odds, our people,
having begun their liberation, will not rest until they are free.
     Common values which enhance people's security and peace must
be supported throughout our region. We believe our people are
contributing to this endeavour. We ask all organizations,
including yours, to show greater sensitivity towards the wishes
of our people. Especially since the spring of 1995, the dirty war
aimed at exterminating our people rages unabated, despite the
calls for a cease-fire issued by PKK leader Abdullah Ocalan.
     We are 10,000 war prisoners. In order to call attention to
the suffering in our homeland, we shall begin an indefinite
hungerstrike on July 14, 1995.
     We shall continue our resistance until serious steps are
taken to remedy our concerns outlined below. We display our
personal gift of life to underline our people's right to live. We
hope and wish for change with this moderate step in our people's
resistance.
We seek the following:

1. In order to reach a political solution, calls made by PKK
leader Abdullah Ocalan for a dialogue must be supported and
encouraged.

2. Geneva Convention regulations covering combatants must be
observed and enforced in Kurdistan.

3. Killing of civilians, summary executions, torture in prisons,
and the burning of villages must come to an end.

4. All war prisoners in jails must be classified as POWs.

5. All military operations designed to destroy our people must be
stopped.

6. Under the auspices of the UN and the Red Cross, committees
must be formed and sent to monitor the war in Kurdistan and
prison conditions.

     This dirty war, and all killings, can be stopped by common
and cohesive action. We believe not in war but in an honourable
peace. We hope that you share our views and desires and we
appreciate your understanding.

10,000 War Prisoners of Kurdistan

-----
Kurdistan Committee of Canada		Tel: (613) 733-9634
2487 Kaladar Ave. Suite 203		Fax: (613) 733-0090
Ottawa, Ontario, K1V 8B9		E-mail: kcc at magi.com
		http://infoweb.magi.com/~kcc
-----