Grey Wolves in Kosove?

ozgurluk at xs4all.nl ozgurluk at xs4all.nl
Wed Aug 19 11:21:21 BST 1998

   ANKARA, Aug 18 (AFP) - A Turkish nationalist group has been
recruiting volunteers to take part in a self-styled humanitarian aid
mission in the war-torn southern Yugoslav region of Kosovo, the
group's leader said Tuesday.
   "We are seeking to create a 5,000-strong Kosovo Volunteers Army
and have already recruited some 2,500 men whose conditions are
suitable," Tuna Koc, head of the Nizami Alem (World Order
organisation, told AFP.
   "But do not be misled by the name, army. It will be an unarmed
unit and will be involved in humanitarian missions. Our aim is not
to fight the Serbs on the ground, but to provide the Kosovo refugees
with humanitarian aid," he said.
   "We did similar things in Bosnia and Chechnya in the past," Koc
said without elaborating.
   He charged that the "Serbs are committing the worst kind of
crimes against the Albanian population of Kosovo and the western
world is merely watching this.
   "So we have to do something to relieve the plight of those
suffering," he said.
   "But we are waiting for the result of the planned peace talks
for Kosovo. If they fail, we will step up efforts to send our men to
Kosovo," Koc added.
   The Turkish group's move came amid increased attacks by Serb
troops against independence-seeking Kosovo Albanians, led by the
Kosovo Liberation Army (KLA.
   The KLA, which only a month ago claimed control of some 40
percent of Kosovo territory, has suffered a series of blows after
Serb forces launched a massive offensive aimed at securing major
roads connecting the capital Pristina with the west and south of the
province.
   The Serb onslaught has caused tens of thousands of civilians to
flee. International aid agencies put the figure at more than
230,000. Kosovo's whole population is around two million.
   The international community, headed by the United States, has
been pressing Belgrade and ethnic Albanians to resume talks over
restive Kosovo province, as NATO troops began manoeuvres in
neighbouring Albania.
   Turkey has special links with Kosovo as the region was part of
the Turkish Ottoman Empire between the 14th century and late last
century.
   More than two million Moslem Albanians, many of them relatives
of those in Kosovo, live in Turkey, according to ethnic Albanian
groups in the country.
   But despite its strong ethnic and religious ties with the Kosovo
Albanians, Turkey has refrained from supporting the region's
independence aspirations. Ankara instead favours the restoration of
Kosovo's autonomy and a solution within Yugoslavia's territorial
integrity.
   However, this did not prevent Turkish President Suleyman Demirel
from condemning Serb attacks as a crime against humanity and calling
for western intervention during a visit to Albania last month.
   Koc said his group did not want to undertake anything that might
be viewed as an "illegal move in the eyes of the Turkish government
and the United Nations, and will be seeking their green light before
sending our men to Kosovo.
   "If get that kind of green light, we will apparently not wait
for permission from the Serb perpetrators," added the leader of the
nationalist Turkish group.
   But Turkish government officials ruled out any support for the
initiative.
   Koc's Nizami Alem is an organisation on the sidelines of the
right-wing Grand Union Party, a seven-MP opposition group in
Turkey's 550-seat parliament. That party supported an Islamist-led
cabinet from outside the government when it ruled the country
between June 1996 and June last year.
--
Press Agency Ozgurluk
For justice, democracy and human rights in Turkey and Kurdistan!