Turkish children sentenced to prison terms for stealing sweets

ozgurluk at xs4all.nl ozgurluk at xs4all.nl
Mon Aug 31 18:42:44 BST 1998

ANKARA, Aug 31 (AFP) - The Turkish high court Monday upheld a
nine-year prison sentence against four youngsters found guilty of
stealing desserts from a sweet shop, their lawyer said.

"Our appeal was rejected. These heavy sentences prove the
pathetic state the Turkish justice is in," Hakan Gencer, lawyer of
the four boys aged between 15 and 17, told the Anatolia news
agency.

The four were caught in the southern city of Gaziantep last year while
trying to steal sweets. A local court later sentenced each to a
nine-year jail term for "premeditated robbery."

"The lives of these children are destroyed. We cannot reach anywhere
with a law system like this," Gencer said.

--
Press Agency Ozgurluk
For justice, democracy and human rights in Turkey and Kurdistan!