Haluk Gerger Returns to Prison

greenscreen at mailexcite.com greenscreen at mailexcite.com
Thu Jan 29 09:56:07 GMT 1998

You need a MIME compliant mail reader to completely decode it.

--=_-=_-DEJECGGLOFOBAAAA

received from: akin at kurdish.org
posted by:  Umit Ozturk <grenscreen at gn.apc.org>

===============================
Green Screen News
PO Box 10386
London E17 7RG, U.K.
tel: +44-(0)956-656937
e-mail:  greenscreen at gn.apc.org
===============================

> [...]
>the Kurdish language.
>
>The government says it will grant such freedoms when the war ends, but
>cannot do so now because they would be misused by those who want to fan
>the flames of Kurdish nationalism with the aim of dismembering the
>country.
>
>Restrictions on freedom of speech, especially those enforced against
>Kurds and their supporters, are often cited by foreign leaders and others
>who question the fullness of democracy in Turkey.
>
>In Bonn, Germany, human rights advocates demanding the release of Hamdi
>Turanli, a Kurdish leader who is said to be seriously ill, picketed
>Tuesday meetings between German officials and Turkish Foreign Minister
>Ismail Cem. Turanli, who has lived in Germany for more than 30 years and
>holds German and Turkish citizenship, was arrested on Jan. 12 in Ankara
>and has not yet been charged.
>
>In speeches and articles, Gerger has based his opposition to the war on
>what he says is its corrosive effect on Turkish society. The article that
>led to his sentencing violated a strict taboo by urging that the Turkish
>government negotiate with the rebel Kurdistan Workers Party, known as the
>PKK.
>
>The government describes the party as a gang of cut-throat terrorists,
>but Gerger said they represent the Kurdish people. He also asserted that
>"Kurdish villages are being bombed and homes, fields and forests are
>being burned."
>
>"This bleeding wound which we call the Kurdish problem has its roots in
>the objective realities of history, culture, politics and social
>relations," he wrote. "The Kurds and the PKK are so closely tied that
>whoever tries to extinguish the fire inside the Kurdish soul finds his
>hands burned by the PKK."
>
>Gerger was dismissed from his university professorship after the 1980
>military coup and later served two years in prison for making what was
>deemed a statement of support for Kurdish rebels.
>
>At his news conference in Ankara on Monday, the president of the Human
>Rights Association, Akin Birdal, who was himself recently acquitted of
>charges that he supported terrorism, hailed him as a martyr to free
>expression.
>
>"In civilized countries writers wait at the doors of theaters and opera
>houses with tickets in their hands," Birdal said. "In Turkey they wait at
>prison gates with verdicts in their hands."
>

>----
>American Kurdish Information Network (AKIN)
>2623 Connecticut Avenue NW #1
>Washington, DC 20008-1522
>
>Tel: (202) 483-6444
>Fax: (202) 483-6476
>E-mail: akin at kurdish.org
>Home Page: http://www.kurdistan.org
>----
>
>The American Kurdish Information Network (AKIN) provides a public service
>to foster Kurdish-American understanding and friendship

http://www.mailexcite.com
--=_-=_-DEJECGGLOFOBAAAA
From: <akin at kurdish.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 98 08:46:24 -0400
Subject: Haluk Gerger Returns to Prison

E-mail: akin at kurdish.org
Home Page: http://www.kurdistan.org
----

The American Kurdish Information Network (AKIN) provides a public service
to foster Kurdish-American understanding and friendship

--=_-=_-DEJECGGLOFOBAAAA--