Turkey: Italians arrested after taking part in pro-Kurdish demonstr

ozgurluk at xs4all.nl ozgurluk at xs4all.nl
Tue Mar 24 06:47:22 GMT 1998

 Italians arrested after taking part in pro-Kurdish demonstration

Ankara - Turkish Daily News

Three Italian activists were in police detention Monday, awaiting a
court hearing after being arrested for taking part in pro-Kurdish
celebrations in the southeastern city of Diyarbakir, Italian diplomats
said.

The Italians, two students and a journalist, were taken away by police
on Saturday along with several other people who were participating in
the traditional spring festival known as Newroz, said a spokesperson
for the Italian consulate in Izmir, who spoke on condition of
anonymity.

Noting that the Italians had displayed flags of the outlawed Kurdistan
Workers' Party (PKK) and shouted slogans in support of the group,
Diyarbakir Security Chief Gaffar Okan said in a press conference,
"Whoever tries to violate the territorial integrity of the country,
whether they be foreigners or not, will be prevented."

An Italian official in Ankara told the TDN that they are awaiting the
judge's decision.

"We have done everything we possibly can for the three Italians
detained, who include one woman, but we will wait for the Turkish
judge's decision, we cannot intervene," said the same official.

Several people were arrested on Saturday when the celebrations turned
into scuffles with police in Diyarbakir and Van. Apart from these
incidents, this year's Newroz celebrations were peaceful. Kurds use
the festival, which welcomes spring, to assert their cultural
identity.

--
Press Agency Ozgurluk
For justice, democracy and human rights in Turkey and Kurdistan!