TURKEY: Hizbollah Access to State Arms Suspected

ozgurluk at xs4all.nl ozgurluk at xs4all.nl
Fri Feb 18 04:21:46 GMT 2000

--YiEDa0DAkWCtVeE4

POLITICS-TURKEY: Hizbollah Access to State Arms Suspected

   By Nadire Mater

ISTANBUL, Feb 17 (IPS) - Suspicions of weapon transfers made to
the Islamist Hizbollah group, allegedly by security units,
continues to grow as state property is located at the
organisation's southeast hide-outs.

   Hand-grenades, AK-47 assault rifles, RPG-7 rocket launchers and
rounds of ammunition, were reportedly recovered from a Hizbollah
shelter in the southeast Gaziantep countryside last week.

   This has given strength to suspicions voiced earlier by
journalists and politicians that the Turkish security may have
tolerated and supported Hizbollah's alleged violence as part of
'covert operations' against Kurdish rebels.

   Suspicions have been further heightened by the large numbers of
weapons reported to be missing from the local Batman military
arsenal.

   Prime Minister, Bulent Ecevit, has expressed concern at the
disappearance of hundreds of assault rifles, hand grenades and
launchers.

   "I am deeply worried that these weapons may have been leaked to
the Hizbollah. I have appointed special investigators to the case.
All will be clarified soon," he told journalists.

   Former governor of Batman Province, Salih Sarman, has said
there is a definite possibility that "the weapons that were
imported for a special 1,000 strong mixed counter-insurgency
battallion of elite village guards and police may have been
transferred to the Hizbollah, as well as to the PKK (Kurdish
Worker Party)."

   Sarman is facing charges of having tolerated Hizbollah in order
to counter balance PKK activity in the area during 1994-96.

   Around 70 000 pro-government local Kurdish tribesmen were
reportedly recruited as members of the paramilitary since the
beginning of 'emergency-case-rule' in 1987.

   Forced to choose between joining the village guards or leaving
their villages, many locals opted to join the village guard
system.

   Armed and paid by the government, the village guards salaries
have provided a major resource for this most impoverished part of
the country.

   Batman is known as the Hizbollah's major power-base, and the
scene of hundreds of extra-judicial executions of PKK sympathisers
by the organisation throughout the bloody conflict.

   The recovery of the ammunition is further complicated by the
fact that governors are not granted the right, by law, to import
arms.

   However those government officials who could authorise such
importations, such as former ministers of defence and interior,
the head of the National Intelligence Organisation (MIT) and the
governor of the emergency case area, have publicly denied any
involvement.

   Sarman has also been accused of by-passing relevant customs
procedures and importing arms and ammunition valued at over 560
000 US Dollars.

   He is also being taken to task for going against regulations
and allowing the formation of a 'special mixed battallion' of
village guards and special police teams.

   However the former governor says he was forced to do this since
there was a 'lack of sufficient regular military deployment' in
the area which, he says, faced 'massive PKK threat'.

   In his defence Sarman claims that he had sought the permission
of former prime minister Tansu Ciller, who has also been accused
of creating her own special intelligence group of Turkish
security. "We placed the special battallion under the local
gendarme command and all was arranged with the permission and
knowledge of local and central authorities".

   "We imported weapons, valued at approximately 2,7 million US
Dollars from China, Bulgaria and the US, on 16 different
occasions," Sarman says. The list includes over 1,000 AK-47
assault rifles, hundreds of bomb launchers,  RPG-7 rocket
launchers and rockets, millions of rounds of ammunition, and other
equipment.

   Ciller has said she "assumes the responsibility of having lent
all necessary support to local counter insurgency efforts.

   "However, I was not interested in specific arrangements. This
was conducted according to the relevant procedures. My officials
saw to that," she says.

   However, according to government documents the funds allocated
to the 'special battallion' were drawn from the 'public housing
budget' under the pretext of 'cottage building for the village-
guards'.

   Sarman says; "When the government stepped down, the special
support we had from Tansu Ciller vanished, and we disbanded the
battallion and delivered the weapons to local gendarme command and
other regular units."

   But special "Batman Battallion" recruits claim they are still
on duty. "We are called the 'secret battallion of the state'," a
village guard interviewed by CNN Turk, who spoke on condition of
anonymity said.

   "And we are still on duty. We are patrolling the countryside.
We were specially selected and underwent special commando training
during military service...," he told the CNN reporter.

   However he denied that the battalion may have delivered weapons
to Hizbollah. "It is absolutely out of question."

   However President Suleyman Demirel's recent statement that in
order to combat terrorism 'you have to divert from the routine for
the sake of the state's supreme interests,' has unleashed an angry
response from critics, including junior coalition ANAP (Motherland
Party) leader, Mesut Yilmaz.

   "The state cannot act like an irregular army. All units of
state are bound to act within law and they are obliged to comply
with the laws," Yilmaz said.

   "Even emergency-case measures themselves are bound by strict
laws," he added.

   Political analyst Ismet Berkan of daily 'Radikal' is convinced
that the alleged arms transfers to Hizbollah point to deep rooted
corruption within the security forces.

   He says those who have been implicated in the Hizbollah case
were also implicated in a similar incident in 1997, publicly known
as 'Susurluk affair'.

   In a car accident in 1997, on the northwest Susurluk highway, a
man, later referred to as an alleged assassin, and a top security
official were killed while a village guard tribe-chief, a deputy
from Tansu Cilller's True Path Party (DYP) was injured.

   All were reportedly carrying authentic documents and licenses
to carry arms signed by then Interior Minister Mehmet Agar.

   Subsequent investigations revealed that the weapons they were
carrying were missing from the security arsenal. Ironically the
weapons were on record as having been imported for the 'Batman
Battallion'.

   The prosecution case against Agar was, however, suspended in
April last year when he regained parliamentary immunity after
being elected the independent deputy from the Elazig province.

   "I have no doubt that a significant part of Hizbollah arsenal
was once state-property. Both Hizbollah and the PKK have gained
control on the village-guard's weapons and directed these at the
state.

   "What is amazing is that noone has yet been held accountable
and seriously prosecuted for what is going on. In fact I am sure
that the former governor will also only receive a minor
administrative punishment and will be allowed to continue in
office," he added.

--YiEDa0DAkWCtVeE4

Pressagency Ozgurluk.Org
In solidarity with the Peoples Liberationstruggle in Turkey and
Kurdistan http://www.ozgurluk.org
DHKP-C: http://www.ozgurluk.org/dhkc

--YiEDa0DAkWCtVeE4--