[WSIS CS-Plenary] [IGP-ANNOUNCE] IGP Alert: New Paper Released on "Net Neutrality as Global Principle for Internet Governance"

IGP Info info at INTERNETGOVERNANCE.ORG
Tue Nov 6 14:52:15 GMT 2007

As a contribution to the 2007 UN Internet Governance Forum
(IGF), IGP has released a new paper showing how network
neutrality can serve as a globally applicable principle
that can guide Internet governance. The paper defines
network neutrality as the right of Internet users to
access content, services and applications on the Internet
without interference from network operators or overbearing
governments. It also encompasses the right of network
operators to be reasonably free of liability for
transmitting content and applications deemed illegal or
undesirable by third parties. Those aspects of net
neutrality are relevant in a growing number of countries
and situations, as both public and private actors attempt
to subject the Internet to more control. An important part
of the mandate of the Internet Governance Forum is to
develop globally applicable public policy principles for
Internet governance. The paper contends that the principle
of network neutrality combines and integrates concepts of
universal access to the resources connected to the
Internet, freedom of expression, economic innovation, and
free trade in digital products and services.

Read the paper:
<http://internetgovernance.org/pdf/NetNeutralityGlobalPrinciple.pdf>

*** IGF WORKSHOPS ***

IGP will be co-sponsoring two workshops at the IGF in Rio
de Janerio.

Mark your calendars because you can even participate
online!

"DNSSEC: Securing a Critical Internet Resource"
Meeting Room III, Hotel Windsor Barra
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
10:30 (Rio de Janeiro)/13:30 (Berlin)/7:30 (New
York)/20:30 (Beijing)
<http://www.internetgovernance.org/events.html#IGF2007DNSSECWorkshop_111406>

"Public Policy on the Internet"
Meeting Room VI, Hotel Windsor Barra
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
18:30 (Rio de Janeiro)/21:30 (Berlin)/15:30 (New
York)/4:30 next day (Beijing)
<http://internetgovernance.org/events.html#IGF2007PublicPolicyWorkshop_111406>