[SGRupdate] How you can help SGR

janekwilson janekwilson at gn.apc.org
Mon Jul 14 12:09:34 BST 2008

Dear SGRupdate subscriber,

Please can you help SGR to continue with its vital work?

Here is a reminder of the activities that SGR has recently been undertaking
and we have informed you of these via the update list to which you
subscribe.

Last month we published "Behind Closed Doors" a report on the military
influence in UK universities as part of our programme on the military
influence on Science, Engineering and Technology
http://www.sgr.org.uk/ArmsControl/MilitaryInfluence.html

SGR's Executive Director, Stuart Parkinson, led a workshop on Climate
Science at the Campaign Against Climate Change forum in June. He also spoke
at a side event on "Military Involvement in Science and Technology" at the
Preparatory Committee (PrepCom) for the 2010 Review Conference of the
Parties to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons (NPT) in
Geneva in May.

We also published issue 35 of our increasingly popular Newsletter
http://www.sgr.org.uk/newsletter.html

 This issue included the following feature articles:-

*          Military R&D 85 times larger than renewable energy R&D

*           <http://www.sgr.org.uk/climate/NuclearWinterTrident_NL35.pdf>
Could one Trident submarine cause 'nuclear winter'?

*          The employment benefits of not replacing Trident

*          Peak oil: why it will not help the climate change problem

*          The CO2 and H2O costs of bathing

*          Undermining democracy in the planning process

*          Measures of success: two steps closer to ending the arms trade

*          US 'missile defence' in Europe: who needs it?

*          The grim reality of robots at war

*          Can large-scale biofuels be sustainable?

*         The universal ethical code for scientists - how good is it?

We provided information on seven various alternative/ethical careers events
throughout the UK, which SGR took part in.

We also provided information on The Nuclear Dilemma Project
http://www.nucleardilemma.org <http://www.nucleardilemma.org/>  produced by
REAL Exhibition Development and the International Red Cross and Red Crescent
Museum, with the support of the International Peace Bureau and the Joseph
Rowntree Charitable Trust.

"A unique visual-communication project about the history of nuclear
technology; providing valuable tools for people to form clear perspectives
on its past and present uses and enabling dialogue and research for a safer
future."

. 9th September 2008 - 9th January 2009

Gernika Peace Museum, Spain

http://www.peacemuseumguernica.org <http://www.peacemuseumguernica.org/>

If you have downloaded one of our briefings or attended an event please
consider making a donation to SGR, which you can do online, using Paypal or
a credit card, at http://www.sgr.org.uk/donations.html or, if you have a UK
bank account,  you can send a cheque to the office at the address below.
Please help SGR in continuing to provide these valuable resources. Even a
small donation helps.

Alternatively, have you thought about becoming a regular supporter by
joining the organisation?

Member benefits include:

*         A regular Newsletter including news and thought-provoking articles
on current controversies in science, design and technology.

*         Free paper copies of SGR's publications on ethical careers in
science design and technology.

*         Discounts on SGR conference fees and other SGR publications.

*         Subscription to sgrforum the member's email list

Most importantly you will be part of an increasingly influential network of
ethically concerned professionals.

To join you can go to http://www.sgr.org.uk/joinsgr.html or alternatively
contact the office at the address below and we can send you a membership
form.

Many thanks.

Jane K Wilson
SGR Marketing and Recruitment Officer
Scientists for Global Responsibility (SGR) is an independent UK-based
organisation of scientists, architects, engineers, and technologists
promoting ethical science, design and technology.

Scientists for Global Responsibility
Ingles Manor
Castle Hill Avenue
Folkestone
CT20 2RD

Tel: 01303 851965
Mobile: 07771 883696
E-mail: info at sgr.org.uk
Web:http://www.sgr.org.uk

Help support SGR's work - become a member or an associate member. For
details, see http://www.sgr.org.uk/joinsgr.html