[SGRupdate] Help SGR continue its vital work.

janekwilson janekwilson at gn.apc.org
Mon Feb 9 16:41:22 GMT 2009

Dear Sgr update subscriber

Firstly, we’d like to tell you some good news – SGR has recently secured a
further grant from the Joseph Rowntree Charitable Trust of £45,000 over the
next three years, which is an important boost for the organisation and will
enable us to build upon our successes of recent years.

One key condition of the grant is that we continue to expand our income from
members and supporters – so a donation from YOU would really help us.

There are three particular areas where your contribution will help us to
make an impact. We plan to:

*         Complete our latest project exposing corporate influence on
science and technology.

*         Redesign and develop the SGR website to help get our message
across to a much wider range of people

*         Continue our much valued and highly acclaimed work on ethical
careers in science, design and technology

These activities will complement and enhance our continuing advocacy work on
issues such as nuclear weapons, climate change, militarisation of science,
GM crops and a more ethical agenda right across science, design and
technology.

Why should you give?

We realise that, in the current economic climate, this is not the best time
to ask for donations. However, with our government making crucial choices
about which industrial sectors to help through the downturn, it is a key
time to push for the prioritisation of investment towards a low carbon
economy. And with a new, more enlightened President coming into the White
House, there should be opportunities for real progress towards global
nuclear disarmament and tackling climate change

We have to exploit these opportunities – and with your help, we can do this.
Together we can make a difference!

        How can you help?

To make a donation by credit card please go to
http://www.sgr.org.uk/donations.html and click on the Paypal “Make A
Donation” button.

Alternatively, if you pay UK income tax or capital gains tax, you can make a
donation to the Martin Ryle Trust (MRT) of which SGR is one of the main
beneficiaries. The MRT can claim from HM Revenue and Customs 28 pence for
every pound that you donate, out of the tax that you have already paid. This
means that a £50 donation, for example, is worth £64 at no extra cost to
yourself. The funds raised will be used entirely to support and promote
SGR’s work and assist with our future plans. Please print out the gift aid
form at http://www.sgr.org.uk/MRTsupport.html and send it with your cheque.

Your help is vital in keeping up our good work and any donation you make
will be very gratefully received.

Even a small amount CAN make a difference to how successful and influential
SGR becomes and we have already achieved great things on a very limited
budget! Please give generously if you are able.

Thank you.

Jane.

Jane K Wilson
SGR Marketing and Recruitment Officer
Scientists for Global Responsibility (SGR) is an independent UK-based
organisation of scientists, architects, engineers, and technologists
promoting ethical science, design and technology.

Scientists for Global Responsibility
Ingles Manor
Castle Hill Avenue
Folkestone
CT20 2RD

Tel: 01303 851965
Mobile: 07771 883696
E-mail: info at sgr.org.uk
Web:http://www.sgr.org.uk

Help support SGR's work - become a member or an associate member. For
details, see http://www.sgr.org.uk/joinsgr.html

I raise money for SGR via the Martin Ryle Trust with Everyclick.com
<http://www.everyclick.com/> http://www.everyclick.com You can do this too
at  http://www.everyclick.com/the-mrt/170100/0