[SGRupdate] SGR Appeal 2010

Scientists for Global Responsibility (SGR) info at sgr.org.uk
Wed Nov 10 09:48:31 GMT 2010

Dear Friend

Despite economic problems continuing to cast a long shadow - and SGR's
finances being extremely tight - we remain very active. With a donation
from you, we can get through this difficult period and come out stronger.

Your past generosity has been vital in advancing the cause of ethical
science, design and technology. For example, in the last few months, SGR
has:

*	Gained high-profile media coverage for a letter to the Prime Minister
arguing for cuts to military R&D, especially nuclear weapons research,
rather than civilian science. The letter was signed by 36 British
professors including former President of the Royal Society, Sir Michael
Atiyah - see
http://www.sgr.org.uk/resources/letter-david-cameron-regarding-public-science-funding-cuts-and-nuclear-weapons-research

Coverage included articles in The Guardian - see
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/oct/13/military-research-science-cuts-scientists
- and on BBC News online.

*	Completed a major upgrade of the SGR website. With online material being
such an important way of reaching policy-makers, scientists, journalists
and the public, we thought it critical that we carry out a redevelopment.
The new site has been updated with more of SGR’s publications and other
material, is much more user-friendly, and also easier for staff and
volunteers to update. Take a look at http://www.sgr.org.uk

*	Made a submission to the UK Strategic Defence and Security Review,
arguing for a shift in emphasis away from pursuing military responses to
security problems, and for cuts to offensive systems such as nuclear
weapons, the super aircraft carrier programme and combat aircraft - see
http://www.sgr.org.uk/resources/uk-strategic-defence-and-security-review-sgr-response

A donation from you now will help us keep up this level of activity. In
particular, we plan to:

*	Hold our next conference - in May 2011 - examining concerns raised by
'emerging technologies'. We will discuss issues such as climate
engineering and military robotics, as well as who controls such
technologies.

*	Begin new research on reforming the Ministry of Defence's science and
technology programmes, as well as broader reforms to public spending in
science, design and technology to support the transition to a sustainable
society.

*	Expand our much valued and highly acclaimed work on ethical careers in
science, design and technology.

*	Continue our existing campaign work on issues such as climate change,
nuclear weapons, cleaner and more secure energy, military and corporate
influence on science, biotechnology and a more ethical agenda right across
science, design and technology.

We realise that, in the current economic climate, this is not the best
time to ask for donations. But with the coalition government currently
making crucial choices about cuts in public spending, we need to maximise
the pressure to cut needless expenses like Trident replacement, so that
areas such as energy efficiency, renewable energy and cleaner technology
transfer to poorer countries get the resources they urgently need. With
the next round of international negotiations on climate change coming up,
this is the least we should demand.

As professionals in key sectors, it is essential we continue to add our
voice to campaigns pushing for this change - and with your help, we can do
this. Together we can make a difference!

You can donate online by credit card at
http://www.sgr.org.uk/pages/donate-sgr or by cheque to the SGR Office.

We look forward to hearing from you soon - your help will be vital in
keeping up our good work and any donation you make will be gratefully
received.

Yours sincerely

Dr Philip Webber     Kate Macintosh MBE
SGR Chair            SGR Vice Chair.
Scientists for Global Responsibility (SGR) is an independent UK-based
organisation of scientists, architects, engineers, and technologists
promoting ethical science, design and technology.

Scientists for Global Responsibility
Ingles Manor
Castle Hill Avenue
Folkestone