[SGRupdate] SGR conference 2014 - registration now open!

Scientists for Global Responsibility (SGR) info at sgr.org.uk
Wed Aug 13 16:47:16 BST 2014

Dear SGRupdate subscriber

* SGR Conference and AGM 2014 - Saturday 4 October - 10.00 - 16.30
  Halton Mill - Mill Lane - Halton - Lancaster LA2 6ND

* SGR Annual Report 2013-14

We are pleased to invite you to attend this year's SGR Conference and Annual
General Meeting. Also, SGR's Annual Report 2013-14 is now available - this
summarises SGR's activities over a very busy year.

The theme of this year's conference is:
'Living Within Environmental Limits: From Science to Practice'.

The venue for the conference will be Halton Mill, part of the award-winning
eco-development where SGR's new offices are based, just outside Lancaster in
North West England.

The conference provides an opportunity for you to find out more about what SGR
has been doing over the past year; how you can get involved with its
activities over the coming year; and to discuss important issues of current
concern.

Our keynote speakers will be:

- Dr Maria Sharmina, Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research, University of
Manchester, on 'The Case for Urgent and Radical Carbon Emission Reductions'

- Sue Riddlestone OBE, BioRegional, on 'How Can We Live Well Within Natural
Limits? Case Studies of One Planet Living'

The event will also include workshops on community renewable energy and
sustainable living, as well as tours of the eco-development.

- Download provisional programme:
http://www.sgr.org.uk/sites/sgr.org.uk/files/Programme-provisional-2014.pdf

- Download speakers abstracts and biographies:
http://www.sgr.org.uk/sites/sgr.org.uk/files/Speakers-abstracts+bios-2014.pdf

- Download information about conference location:
http://www.sgr.org.uk/sites/sgr.org.uk/files/Location-info-2014.pdf

- Download SGR annual report 2013-14
http://www.sgr.org.uk/sites/sgr.org.uk/files/SGR_Annual_Report_2013-14.pdf

Among the conference supporters is Halton Lune Hydro, a community-owned
renewable energy company - for more information, see:
http://www.haltonlunehydro.org/

During the course of the day, SGR will hold its AGM. This will include brief
reports on SGR's activities over the past year and there will also be time for
questions. A further function of the AGM is to elect the National
Co-ordinating Committee (NCC) for the coming year. For SGR to be successful,
we need an active NCC to support SGR's staff and volunteers on our currently
limited resources. Any SGR member is eligible to stand for the NCC and new
members are particularly welcome. If you are an SGR member and would like more
information on becoming an NCC member, please get in touch with us. To
nominate a candidate, please contact us for a nomination form.

It would be very helpful to our administration, both in time and effort, if
you could register for the Conference well in advance. To encourage you to do
this, we are offering a 25% discount for registrations received by Friday 19
September.

You can register online via:
http://www.sgr.org.uk/events/living-within-environmental-limits-science-practice
(Follow the link to EventBrite at the foot of the page.)

SGR members receive a further 33% discount on the conference fee - if you are
an SGR member, please reply to this email to receive your discount code. If
you are not a member and would like to join, you can do so at:
http://www.sgr.org.uk/join

We look forward to seeing you on 4 October.

Yours sincerely

Dr Stuart Parkinson
Executive Director.