[SGRupdate] SGR annual appeal

Scientists for Global Responsibility (SGR) info at sgr.org.uk
Wed Dec 10 16:40:42 GMT 2014

Dear friends and colleagues

SGR has been very active recently – and it’s essential we continue to be with
so many government and corporate activities undermining peaceful and
sustainable uses of science, design and technology. A donation from you now -
via http://www.sgr.org.uk/pages/donate-sgr - would really help SGR to continue
its important work.

Together we can make a difference!

Your past generosity has been vital in advancing the cause of ethical science,
design and technology. For example, in recent months SGR has:

- Launched our new report on shale gas and fracking, which uses academic
evidence to challenge claims made by industry and government on the alleged
benefits of this fuel/ technology. The report has received wide media
coverage, including in The Mirror, and over 2,000 copies have been
disseminated so far.

- Held a successful conference on the theme 'Living within environmental
limits: from science to practice', where we discussed climate change and
sustainable living. The event also included tours of high-spec eco-homes and
community renewable energy technologies. About 65 people attended.

- Promoted our recent reports on nuclear weapons and military involvement in
R&D. We have continued to work with other campaign groups to feed our findings
into intergovernmental conferences, parliamentary inquiries and other policy
processes.

- Given lectures and presentations to a range of audiences, including climate
scientists, policy-makers, peace/environment campaigners and students. Topics
have included military involvement in R&D, climate change issues, and science
policy.

Your donation will help us to maintain this level of activity and to develop
SGR for the future. Our plans include:

- Running educational activities for school children to promote careers in
science, design and technology that are orientated towards peace and the
environment – as an alternative to mainstream science fairs sponsored by arms
and fossil fuel companies.

- Expanding our use of the internet and social media to reach younger and
broader audiences with our articles, presentations and reports on the
potential to move to a more peaceful and sustainable future.

- Continuing our existing campaign work towards a more ethical agenda right
across science, design and technology, on issues such as weapons technologies,
climate change, cleaner and more secure energy, corporate influence on
science, and emerging technologies.

With the government rapidly cutting many environmental commitments, while at
the same time getting involved in yet another war in the Middle East, it is
more important than ever that we speak out for a more ethical future. As an
organisation of professionals in key sectors, SGR has a coherent reform agenda
that unites science, design and technology with peace, social justice and
environmental sustainability. But effective campaigning costs money. To
continue to promote this agenda among like-minded professional organisations,
policy-makers, peace and environment groups, trade unions, the renewable
energy industry, etc., we need your support!

We look forward to hearing from you soon – your help is vital in keeping up
our important work and any donation you make will be very gratefully received
- http://www.sgr.org.uk/pages/donate-sgr

Yours sincerely

Dr Philip Webber, Chair, and Dr Jan Maskell, Vice-chair