[SGRupdate] News from SGR - March 2016

Scientists for Global Responsibility (SGR) info at sgr.org.uk
Tue Mar 15 18:12:24 GMT 2016

------------

News from Scientists for Global Responsibility - March 2016

------------

* Statistically assessing of the risks of commercial nuclear energy

As the world's marks the 5th anniversary of the Fukushima emergency and 30th
anniversary of the Chernobyl disaster, Spencer Wheatley, Prof Benjamin
Sovacool and Prof Didier Sornette argue that the risks of another major
nuclear accident are much greater than the industry believes.

http://www.sgr.org.uk/resources/statistically-assessing-risks-commercial-nuclear-energy

* Science4Society Week 2016 - an update

SGR's Science4Society Week runs for its second year - from 14th to 20th March.
It provides an expanded range of inspiring education activities for young
people, including our new ‘Design an Eco-Community’ competition. It was set up
to provide an alternative to science education activities funded by the arms
and fossil fuel industries, such as ‘The Big Bang Fair’.

http://www.sgr.org.uk/resources/announcing-science4society-week-2016

Follow Science4Society Week on Twitter - see:
https://twitter.com/S4SWeek

* A new phase for ‘offensive insecurity’?

Dr Stuart Parkinson, SGR, gives an overview of the UK’s national military and
security strategies, and highlights the increasing focus on militarism.

http://www.sgr.org.uk/resources/new-phase-offensive-insecurity

* Arms conversion for a sustainable society

A new section of the SGR website brings together our work over the last few
years examining the issue of arms conversion for a sustainable society.

http://www.sgr.org.uk/projects/arms-conversion-main-outputs

SGR - promoting ethical science, design and technology

Website: http://www.sgr.org.uk/
Twitter: @ResponsibleSci
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/responsiblesci
LinkedIn: