[SGRupdate] News from SGR - May 2016

Scientists for Global Responsibility (SGR) info at sgr.org.uk
Thu May 12 16:35:00 BST 2016

------------

News from Scientists for Global Responsibility - May 2016

------------

* How big is the average Briton’s carbon footprint, really?

After a year in which climate policy has gone backwards in the UK, Dr Stuart
Parkinson, SGR, analyses the latest data on our contribution to climate
change, and finds some disturbing results.

http://www.sgr.org.uk/resources/how-big-average-briton-s-carbon-footprint-really

* SGR response to Labour Defence Review

Scientists for Global Responsibility has submitted a response to the Labour
Party's Defence Review. As in our response to recent government reviews, we
argued that the UK needs to place much more emphasis on the use of scientific
and technical resources for tackling the root causes of conflict, including
climate change and economic inequality, rather than prioritising the
development, deployment, use and export of yet more weapons technologies. We
especially criticise the UK's continued deployment of nuclear weapons, and
plans for a new system.

http://www.sgr.org.uk/resources/sgr-response-labour-defence-review

* Reassessing the Chernobyl death toll

Dr Ian Fairlie argues that the health impacts of the Chernobyl nuclear
disaster are continuing and are not taken into account by governments and
health agencies.

http://www.sgr.org.uk/resources/reassessing-chernobyl-death-toll

SGR - promoting ethical science, design and technology

Website: http://www.sgr.org.uk/
Twitter: @ResponsibleSci
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/responsiblesci
LinkedIn: