[SGRupdate] News from SGR - April 2018

Scientists for Global Responsibility (SGR) info at sgr.org.uk
Fri Apr 6 11:02:15 BST 2018

------------

News from Scientists for Global Responsibility - April 2018

------------

* Abolishing nuclear weapons

Forthcoming presentation by: Dr Stuart Parkinson, Executive Director, SGR

Venue: Friends Meeting House, Lancaster, UK

Date: Tuesday 10 April 2018

For more information, see:
http://www.sgr.org.uk/events/abolishing-nuclear-weapons

* In memory of Prof Stephen Hawking

We at Scientists for Global Responsibility are deeply saddened to hear of the
death of Professor Stephen Hawking – who had been a patron of our organisation
since its formation in 1992, and of its predecessor Scientists Against Nuclear
Arms.

Read media release:
http://www.sgr.org.uk/resources/memory-prof-stephen-hawking

* Nuclear Deterrence: A Failed Doctrine?

In the nuclear armed countries, our politicians routinely tell us that nuclear
weapons are the ultimate guarantee of our security. They also claim that
nuclear weapons have kept the peace through nuclear deterrence since their use
by the USA against Japan in 1945 at the end of the Second World War. Dr Philip
Webber, SGR, presents evidence in this article that throws serious doubt on
both these claims.

Article published on Huffington Post UK website.

Read fully referenced version:
http://www.sgr.org.uk/resources/nuclear-deterrence-failed-doctrine

* Science4Society Week 2018: A brief review

Dr Jan Maskell summarises SGR’s activities during our successful science
education week.

Read review:
http://www.sgr.org.uk/resources/science4society-week-2018-brief-review

* Arms corporations hand British universities £40m

New research reveals more funding from the arms industry for UK universities.

Article from The Observer, including comment by SGR.

Read article:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/mar/31/defence-contractors-british-universities-funding

SGR - promoting ethical science, design and technology

Website: http://www.sgr.org.uk/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ResponsibleSci
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/responsiblesci
LinkedIn: