[SGRupdate] News from SGR – September 2018

Scientists for Global Responsibility (SGR) info at sgr.org.uk
Fri Sep 14 17:06:01 BST 2018

* Artificial intelligence: how little has to go wrong?
Autonomous weapons, driverless cars and friendly spies in the home

The Responsible Science conference - SGR’s annual conference
Saturday 3 November 2018

Is artificial intelligence evolving quicker than the regulation to manage it?
Are we sufficiently able to imagine what major problems may emerge, and can it
even be effectively regulated? This conference, with presentations and
interactive sessions will explore both obvious threats and more subtle ones.

For full details about the conference:
http://www.sgr.org.uk/events/artificial-intelligence-how-little-has-go-wrong

Book before 19 October, and get a 25% discount!

Book your conference ticket:
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/artificial-intelligence-how-little-has-to-go-wrong-tickets-48368169497

* Zero carbon global electricity supplies? There's evidence for optimism

There is no shortage of evidence that humanity is in a very serious place
environmentally. Data from a global catalogue of recent extreme weather events
demonstrates we are in a climate emergency. But is there evidence for
optimism? Paul Allen, project leader for the Zero Carbon Britain initiative,
says yes. In the largest survey yet of the delivery potential from rising
renewable energy supplies, a new report shows that clean energy could now meet
all our electricity needs, at all times of the day, and all year round.

Read the blog:
http://www.sgr.org.uk/resources/zero-carbon-global-electricity-supplies-theres-evidence-optimism

* Martin Ryle, war and peace

Dr Alan Cottey gives a brief account of Martin Ryle’s intense and complex
relations with war and peace. This article is part of the marking of the
centenary of Sir Martin Ryle (1918 – 1984). Martin Ryle is best known for his
pioneering contributions to the techniques and use of radio astronomy.

Read the blog:
http://www.sgr.org.uk/resources/martin-ryle-war-and-peace

SGR - promoting ethical science, design and technology

Website: http://www.sgr.org.uk/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ResponsibleSci
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/responsiblesci
LinkedIn: