[SGRupdate] SGR Appeal 2019

Scientists for Global Responsibility (SGR) info at sgr.org.uk
Tue Dec 10 15:42:01 GMT 2019

Dear Friend

Will you help SGR make the world a safer place and
support its urgent campaigns for more responsible science?

>From the risks of climate breakdown and mass extinction to growing arms races
in nuclear weapons and military robotics, the world faces enormous threats.
SGR – part of the campaign awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 2017 – has been
very active addressing these crises but we need your help to continue to do
so.

A donation from you now would really help SGR to continue our important work.

**** Please make a donation at https://tinyurl.com/SGR-Appeal-2019 ****

Your past generosity has been vital in advancing the cause of responsible
science, design and technology. For example, in recent months SGR has:

 §    Published two new reports. The first, Irresponsible Science? –
summarises our extensive research on financial links between the arms/ fossil
fuel industries and professional engineering and science organisations. The
second, Scientists Behaving Responsibly – highlights the value in scientists
being role models for environmental behaviour change to help accelerate
action on the climate crisis.

§    Run workshops in schools for 500 children, as part of our One Planet, One
Life project. These workshops covered climate change and carbon footprints,
empowering students to take action in their own lives.

§    Given numerous presentations on climate change, military science and
technology, and nuclear weapons at locations up and down the UK. Events have
included: Climate Emergency conferences; the Glastonbury Festival; School
Climate Strike events; CND conferences; and Extinction Rebellion protests.

§    Published new data on military carbon emissions which has been used by
the Green Party, Extinction Rebellion and numerous others to challenge this
huge, neglected source of pollution.

**** Please make a donation at https://tinyurl.com/SGR-Appeal-2019 ****

Your donation will help us both to continue with similar activities and to
carry out much more. Our plans include:

§    Running educational activities for school children as part of our
Science4Society Week in March and continuing the project, One Planet One Life.
Both are being offered to schools as science-based alternatives to activities
sponsored by arms and fossil fuel corporations.

§    Campaign work based on our latest reports to encourage science and
engineering organisations to take more action on climate change and peace
issues, including ending financial links with fossil fuel and arms
corporations.

§    Continuing our existing campaign work – including challenging military
funding for science and technology in the UK and EU, challenging a huge new
coal mine in Cumbria, and promoting a more ethical agenda right across
science, design and technology.

With entrenched nationalist and militarist agendas, it is more important than
ever that we speak out for responsible science. As an organisation of
professionals in key sectors, SGR has a coherent reform agenda that unites
science, design and technology with peace, social justice and environmental
sustainability. But effective campaigning costs money. To continue to promote
this agenda with like-minded professional organisations, policy-makers, peace
and environment groups and many others, we need your support!

**** Please make a donation at https://tinyurl.com/SGR-Appeal-2019 ****

Make your donation go further …

For our charitable work, we can accept support from the Martin Ryle Trust
(MRT). If you pay UK Income Tax or Capital Gains Tax, the MRT can claim from
HM Revenue and Customs 25p for every pound that you donate, out of the tax
that you have already paid. This means that a £50 donation to MRT, for
example, is worth £62.50 at no extra cost to you and will be used entirely to
support SGR’s work. The route we are recommending for this appeal is via the
Virgin money giving website – see: https://tinyurl.com/SGR-Appeal-2019

If you have not already included SGR or the Martin Ryle Trust as a beneficiary
in your will, may we suggest that you consider it? For more details, please
look at this webpage - http://www.sgr.org.uk/pages/martin-ryle-trust - or if
you do not have internet access, please contact the SGR office for a copy of
the MRT legacy leaflet.

Will you help us make the world a safer, fairer place? Your contribution is
vital in keeping up our important work, and any donation you make will be put
to effective use and is very gratefully received. We look forward to hearing
from you soon.

**** Please make a donation at https://tinyurl.com/SGR-Appeal-2019 ****

Kind regards
Dr Philip Webber (Chair) and Dr Jan Maskell (Vice-chair)