[SGRupdate] News from SGR – March 2019

Scientists for Global Responsibility (SGR) info at sgr.org.uk
Mon Mar 18 19:11:42 GMT 2019

************************

News from Scientists for Global Responsibility – March 2019

************************

* The return of British coal?

Just when it looked like UK coal might be phased out, a company in Cumbria is
trying to give it a long-term future – undermining urgent efforts to tackle
climate disruption. Dr Stuart Parkinson, SGR, argues for a halt to the
proposed project.

Read the blog:
http://www.sgr.org.uk/resources/return-british-coal

* Science4Society Week 2019

SGR's S4S Week this year ran from 9-17 March, including a range of science
education activities to inspire young people.

Competition winners
The competition theme this year was 'Globally Responsible Careers' - and we
had three winners from across the UK: Harini Vijeyanathan; Katie Bean; Ellen
Hutton.
For more details, see:
http://www.s4s.org.uk/

You can still download the teaching resources
New this year: 'Rewrite the headlines'
http://www.s4s.org.uk/

For more highlights, see the S4S Twitter feed:
https://twitter.com/S4SWeek

* Science for a secure and sustainable future

Dr Stuart Parkinson, SGR, examines how society uses and misuses science and
technology - and highlights ways in which we can reshape our relationship with
these powerful forces to help bring about a more secure and sustainable
society. He covers issues including nuclear weapons, climate change, military
robotics and ethical careers in science and technology.

Download pdf of slide presentation:
http://www.sgr.org.uk/resources/science-secure-and-sustainable-future

SGR - promoting ethical science, design and technology

Website: http://www.sgr.org.uk/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ResponsibleSci
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/responsiblesci
LinkedIn: