[Telecentres] how many telecenters continued

Joyojeet Pal joyojeet at SIMS.Berkeley.EDU
Thu Dec 23 05:22:27 GMT 2004

I shall attempt here to clarify what i mean, and hope that definitions
aside, if we can get some kind of figures, that would help all who are in
this field of work.
1. Is there an account of all kinds of public-access centers (cybercafes
included) in the world (or even a specific country) - preferably one which
counts number of centers and computers per center
1a. Has anyone done a study of whether these are classifiable by
market-orientation or service/utility-orientation (if so, what are the
figures for both)
1b. A study if available on how many free access points exist around the
world
Frankly, I am quite happy to see an aggregate number of info kiosks, CICs,
or whatever other 'category' has been counted. What purpose this serves is
not entirely clear, and perpahs nothing concrete can be concluded from
these numbers. This is possibly just an order of magnitude rank of what
the extent of shared access computing is, and in the best case scenario
some sort of idea on what the actual access for the underserved is like.