[Telecentres] RE: [Telecentres] Basic Telecentre Items

David Leeming PFnet leeming at pipolfastaem.gov.sb
Fri Oct 8 12:21:05 BST 2004

Karin,

That is a fantastic story and I really admire the work you are doing and the
women, farmers and others who have been empowered through the telecentre
access and associated community development. I have circulated it in our
Solomon Islands ICT Working Group list.

Immediately, someone pointed out something that had occurred to me, and I
was interested to see how soon it was brought up:

There is maybe a sustainability issue here, that the centre was too directly
associated with the community development activity (women's empowerment).
The activity obviously had great results for women's empowerment but not
such good results for the telecentre.

In our research we have shown that it is important that the centre has the
full ownership, and if it is regarded as belonging to one section or
interest, people will not utilise it as much, or worse - in one case when we
were field testing some technology without proper community participation,
the test facility was razed to the ground. It was perceived as not being a
community asset, but attached to an entity with political associations.

David Leeming PFnet
Solomon Islands
www.peoplefirst.net.sb/general/pfnet.htm

  _____