[Telecentres] Robinson contribution

Edmond Gaible egaible at natomagroup.com
Mon Sep 27 21:24:34 BST 2004

Scott and all,
Agreeing completely with the principle that grassroots participation is
­precisely- organic to telecentres, and that the grassroots can make a
(sadly) unique and needed contribution to WSIS....

But I¹m hung up on the focus on representation. The strength of this list,
it seems, is as a ³network of telecentre networks.² And one strength of ICTs
in this context is that they can replace representation with participation.

Can we devise a process and mechanism that goes beyond representation? Can
we reach out through our networks to achieve a rough consensus as to a
message (or a platform) that has been scanned and vetted by a few hundreds
or a few thousands of telecentre personnel working AT the grassroots in
countries throughout the world?

And if this can happen, I believe that it also makes sense (as Don has
suggested) for there to be a process that engages WSIS delegates in
responding directly.

Best,

Ed Gaible