[diggers350] Hengist's rights

binty at lycosmail.com binty at lycosmail.com
Mon Aug 9 20:16:38 BST 1999

Dear Hengist,

> The problem is your liberal use of the word 'we'
> and the association of the whole idea with force.

I give a very bad impression. I am arguing on the
American Georgist email list that landowners are
entitled to full compensation, so I am not so
anti-establishment.

It is simply a matter of your rights. Putting a fence
round something does not make it your property.
Furthermore, when you buy land the only person signing
a contract saying it is yours, is the seller himself.
The rest of us have promised nothing, so ignoring land
rights by trespassing or refusing to pay rent is not
breaking a contract. We never said we would respect
their land rights.

We would all get a regular income if we were sharing
the rent from land. Georgists say we could abolish income
tax. We aren't getting our share and no adequate
explanation can be produced.

> Now for the history lesson. Since man first stood
> on two legs he has banded together as tribes, there
> are all sorts of reasons for this but one common
> thing with all tribes is a hierachical social structure.
> The strong dominate the weak. Its sad but the natural
> order of things.

That is not quite how it happened in Scotland though, is
it? Devious types brought up Scottish Cheiftans as English,
taught them that they owned the land and made them want all
the things only money could buy. Then they offered them
money to sell "their" land. Then we burned the villages and
drove the people from their land. That is how their rightful
ownership of your land was established and you must still
think it is a rightful claim, because you are still happy to
be deprived of your share of Scotland's rent to respect
their right to keep it.

So let's not dress it up as human nature, or some sort of
noble Darwinian competition. These devious little criminals
who stole Scotland were not the Great Architects of
civilisation, they were devious little punks with no respect
for common decency or the law. They decided they owned it
forever. Does that make it their property?

> Why should your revolution be any different from
> any of the others? One brand of tyranny is always
> ultimately replaced by another. Id fully like to
> see the social structure of this country turned on
> it's head but I cant see it. When it does appear to
> happen it is an illusion (witness the three
> english civil wars that resulted in the restoration
> of the monarchy).

I want a compensation package for landowners. It would
include various offers like, we give them less than it
is worth, if they promise to leave it to us when they
die and other non-coercive offers to get it back cheap.
In the background there may be a deadline - a date after
which no-one can sell or give land to anyone ever again.
Then when the current owner dies it becomes Commonwealth
land. That will pressure them into selling early and low,
because its value will diminish as the deadline approaches.
That is coercive to landowners but I am trying to be fair
to both sides.

Would you like a to see a scheme to acquire all the land
in Scotland, to be owned by everyone in common?

Stephen Bint