[diggers350] Re: Ownership...ermm then what?

Rory Kett kett99 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 18 12:53:32 BST 1999

Let's get this straight

There is only ONE land OWNER in Britain namely the crown, thgat is the
foundation of ALL peoperty law. All that anyone else owns is 'property' ie
rights to certain uses of the land eg the right to live there, recieve tthe
profits from the land, rent it out etc.

The Crown, as representative of the people Always retains some rights over
any piece of land such as, the right to enforce laws passed by it's
parliament, collect taxes on profuits made on the land, move troops across
it in times of war and so on. To do otherwise would be to place that land
outside the juristiction of the state.

Thus it is possible for several people to own different rights over the same
piece of land eg. one person can farm it, another has the rights to fish in
a river that flows through it, another to shoot rabbits, the general public
a right to walk there and so on.

When people talk of 'land ownership' they are refering to property, rights,
tenure and useage.

If you want I'm willing to run a workshop on this at the Autum gathering as
it can provide one of our strongest arguments ie that we already have land
'nationalisation' and because a private individual Cannot OWN land
absolutely the prinmciple of multiple tenure for different use is well
established in Britain.

Such a workshop is needed to provide a BASIC knowledge of where we are at
with land rights in Britain. Knowing that 'Ownership' is a legal fiction
means we can trash the arguments of the 'Country Landowners Association' and
other similar opponents of change. Their very name shows their ignorance,
maybe this should be the first step in any education programme  mounted by
TLIO.

I know that this will be a hard concept for people to grasp, after all the
whole system tells us the lie that there are 'landowners' but it simply
isn't true.

Rory Bowskill. BSc
Norfolk group