[diggers350] Re: Ownership...ermm then what?

Gavin Parker Gavin.Parker at surrey.ac.uk
Wed Aug 18 13:22:35 BST 1999

List members, fighters for land reform,

Rory is right in many ways with what he says - hence my
comments earlier regarding 'ownership' as being somewhat of a red
herring. It is about rights and responsibilities and how we as a
society (ies) decide to regulate our actions and claims over land
and produce of the land.

Although the Crown (and I do take issue with Rory when he says
that the Crown is the representative of the people) does
theoretically 'own' land, the sovereign has no real power - where the
Crown does have more power is as an individual landowner i.e over
crown estate land. This power is only given through our laws via the
state and Parliament (cf Leviathan).

These laws are based centrally on an assumption about private
property and then about how to 'protect' private property (cf. John
Locke and the doctrine of possessive individualism). What we can
effectively do is appropriate regulatory mechanisms (e.g TLIO
manifesto objectives relating to rethinking planning and planning
considerations). In this way we can revolutionaise the control of
land. As previous mailers have said, this control of land is then in
the name of a true commonwealth. Where the UK state and many
others have gone wrong (time for personal opinion now...) is that
the planning system, as an example, has been appropriated by
class interests who wish to do nothing more than maintain /
increase the value of 'their' land / property.

My first mail a few weeks ago on this alluded to some of the
measures that previous (Labour) governments have attempted to
put in place to address such inequity - all have failed or been
simply repealed by Tory governments.

A softly, softly approach can assist a full on approach - I think we
need to make sure that we fight on all fronts.

What 'right to roam' does, for example, is unravel the illusion of
ownership by bringing a right (of access / non-exclusive use)  from
the private to the public domain. This after all the arguing may
engender part of the cultural change that is needed to begin
rethinking and rebelieving that a differrent way of using land can
work and can work to all our advantage.

Gavin

Send reply to:  	diggers350 at egroups.com