[diggers350] Re: Prayer vigil in support of the Dine'h (Navajo) of Arizona

Valerie Niederhoffer vhoffer at ix.netcom.com
Sun Oct 10 00:14:31 BST 1999

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim <mongoose at gn.apc.org>
To: Austin Docking <austinoj at clara.net> <hfia at hemp.co.uk>; Weed
<weed at venus.co.uk>; pressmennan <bunny at exl.co.uk>; Paul Mobbs
<mobbsey at gn.apc.org>; M74 <donald.matheson at strath.ac.uk>; King Arthur
Pendragon <kingarthur at dragons4.demon.co.uk>; Joe Public
<abrac3 at hotmail.com>; hengist Mcstone druid
<mcstone.ancientmod. at breathemail.net>; gregory <greg at xaos.demon.co.uk>; Fish
Eye <fisheye at barrysworld.co.uk>; Diggerslist <diggers350 at egroups.com>; DEE
<kebele at marsbard.com>
Date: Thursday, September 23, 1999 6:40 AM
Subject: [diggers350] Prayer vigil in support of the Dine'h (Navajo) of
Arizona

>Hi, please forward this on to anyone who you think needs to know this.
>

>WANTED DEAD: 16,000 NAVAJO NORTH AMERICAN INDIANS!
>
>Announcement of a 7 hour prayer vigil at the US Embassy, Grovesner Square,
>London, on October the 2nd 1999, in conjunction with at least 6 other
>vigils happening around the world, and the Navajo’s own sacred ceromonies
>in Arizona.
>
>The U.S. Government is currently carrying out a policy of complete genocide
>in North eastern Arizona - against the people of the peaceful Navajo Indian
>Nation in the name of big business. Billions of dollars worth of coal have
>been discovered under their land, so they are being forced to vacate their
>sacred areas, and watch as their burial grounds are bulldozed in front of
>their very eyes.
>
>The "land" they are being forced to move into is downstream from the site
>of America’s WORST nuclear waste spillage accident - which happened in
>1979. The radiation in that area has been measured to be SECOND to that of
>the "Chernobyl" disaster in Russia. In just the first six months after
>having arrived in the "new lands", - 4,000 of the Navajo people were dead.
>That was back in 1980,.. the remaining population have since been ravaged
>by diseases, the most horrendous birth defects in their children being born
>there, extreme heart-break from being separated from the sacred lands that
>are so close to their culture, and an early death.
>
>About 4,000 still remain to be illegally evicted from their lands. Despite
>breaking international human rights laws, governing both freedom of
>religion, and their right to practice and continue their traditional rural
>ways, - new laws have been "invented" to legalise the actions being
>performed against the Navajo (Dine'h) people.
>
>The people that remain are mostly elders, - their ages ranging from 60 to
>92, they are traditional in their ways,.. rearing sheep and grazing their
>cattle, and have lived off the land in these parts for hundreds, if not
>thousands of years. Their attachment to the land is a major part of their
>cultural identity, ..they do not know how to survive and live in cities and
>towns according to the demands of modern society, many of them cannot speak
>English. Now they are being forced to move by laws they neither understand
>nor are explained to them,.. they live daily under threats and abuse from
>the authorities around them.
>
>The US government is permitting all this to happen, using "puppet"
>organisations like the Hopi Tribal Council - in order to disguise their
>actions as "another Indian range war", - when the fact is, is that the Hopi
>Nation too are suffering as those who have been living alongside the Dine'h
>since time indefinite, - as they have modern industrialisation forced upon
>them and their ancient ways, and into their villages and towns, by Peabody
>Coal Company.

> [...]
I  just was able to give your info on the Dine'h to  a Cayuga friend who
thinks we should confirm that number of 4,000 dead since he never heard of
that.   Would you know how we could do that?
He asks if you can  let your people know that  CNN will have a special on
Leonard Peltier  at 9:00 Eastern Standard Time and then again at midnite
EST. tomorrow (today being October 9). Leonard Peltier is an Ogalala Sioux
who was charged and convicted of the murder of 2 FBI agents during the
troubles at Pine Ridge in the sixties.  He was involved with AIM which was
trying to achieve sovereignty for the Sioux, and defend the Sacred Black
Hills from mining, among other issues.  The story  of his frame up by the US
Government is strange and shocking. Now, 30 years later, they still refuse
to let him go. His supporters have been trying to get him freed for a long
time.  The CNN report should be of interest to those who are concerned with
land rights for native peoples and justice generally.