[diggers350] Sydney Olympics Protest on Sunday 13 Feb by RENTWATCHERS FWD

Tom Boland wgcp at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 5 01:16:31 GMT 2000

HOMELESS PEOPLE'S VIEWS, News, Alerts, Actions & Research
7,000+ ONLINE POSTS by or via homeless & ex-homeless people
HOMELESS PEOPLE'S NETWORK http://aspin.asu.edu/hpn
INFO & to join/leave list - Tom Boland <wgcp at earthlink.net>

FWD from SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA

[Sydney Olympics Protest on Sunday 13 Feb by RENTWATCHERS]

Dear activists,

Juan Antonio Samaranch (head of the IOC) is coming to Sydney. Join
RENTWATCHERS and friends when we give Samaranch a welcome to Syd-er-ney
that he won't forget. The demo  will highlight the negative impacts of the
Olympics on low income people in Sydney.

We are going to be highlighting homelessness, rent hikes, and the lack of
affordable housing in Sydney as the landlords try to go for gold.

Rentwatchers has tried, unsuccessfully, to change the law to protect
tenants during the Olympic period. The Greens put a bill up to the NSW
parliament in 1999 to amend the law, but thanks to Bob Carr and the 'Labor'
party, it was rejected. The NSW Government says it's 'keeping an eye' on
the rental and homelessness situation, but won't do anything practical to
make sure that tenants lives are made more secure.

The demo will be on

SUNDAY FEBRUARY 13
Time: to be announced.
Place: to be announced.

We'll be in touch with you about the details.

If you want to be involved in the street theatre aspect of the demo, let us
know.

PLEASE forward this on to your email networks.

Hazel Blunden
On behalf of RENTWATCHERS

contacts for Rentwatchers:
hazelblunden at hotmail.com
beth at rlc.apana.org.au

END FORWARD

HOMELESS PEOPLE'S NETWORK <http://aspin.asu.edu/hpn>
7,500+ POSTS by or via homeless & ex-homeless people