Fwd: PYGMY LEADER TO VISIT LONDON

The Land Is Ours office at tlio.demon.co.uk
Thu May 4 18:44:13 BST 2000

> Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 17:52:59 +0100
> To: is at survival-international.org, is at survival-international.org,
>         is at survival-international.org
> From: Iona Singleton <is at survival-international.org>
> Subject: PYGMY LEADER TO VISIT LONDON
>
> SURVIVAL NEWS RELEASE

> PYGMY LEADER TO VISIT LONDON
>
> Jacques Ngoun is one of the 'Pygmies' of Cameroun. His people, the Bagyeli,
> are in danger; their forest is being invaded, and the hunting and gathering
> on which they depend ruined, by logging companies and settlers.
>
> On 23 May the World Bank will decide whether to continue to back a
> controversial oil pipeline from Chad to Cameroun. This pipeline will go
> through the Bagyeli's territory, and will not only destroy the crops and
> trees that they depend on, but also drive away the animals that they hunt.
> The pipeline plan is widely attacked for damaging the environment and local
> development and benefiting only the elite. Oil companies involved include
> Exxon and Chevron. Jacques says: 'The Pygmies were not informed; many only
> heard of the pipeline when they saw the machines.'
>
> Jacques is Coordinator of CODEBABIK, an organisation formed by the
Bagyeli to
> fight for their survival.
>
> He will be in London on 21 - 23 May as part of a tour to seek international
> support; with him is Didier Amougou of Planet Survey, a Camerounian
> organisation for the protection of the environment and of marginalised
> peoples.
>
> Jacques and Didier will be meeting journalists and NGO representatives at
the
> Survival Office on Monday 22 May, at 2.30 pm. If you wish to attend or make
> an appointment at another time contact Virginia Luling or Sara Watson on 020
> 7242 1441.
>
> "The logging companies destroy the forest...Our children have no future. We
> ask the government not to forget us, to do something so that our life today
> and tomorrow will not be as black as a night without stars." Jeanne
Silpen, of

is at survival-international.org

<http://www.survival-international.org>http://www.survival-international.org

> Iona Singleton
> Campaigns Assistant
> Survival
> 11 - 15 Emerald Street
> London  WC1N 3QL
> Tel: +44 (0)20 7242 1441
> Fax: +44 (0)20 7242 1771

The TLIO Networking Office

The Land Is Ours
... a British landrights movement for all

The Land Is Ours campaigns peacefully for access to the land, its resources
and the decision making processes affecting them, for everyone -
irrespecitive of race, age, or gender.

+44 (0)1865 722016
16B Cherwell St, OXFORD, OX4 1BG

check out our website at: <http://www.oneworld.org/tlio/>