"Land occupations are peaceful demos." Mugabe

Tony Gosling tony at gaia.org
Fri May 5 18:26:21 BST 2000

MUGABE STEADFASTLY DEFIANT OF INTERNATIONAL PRESSURE ON LAND REFORMS
HARARE 4 May 2000 Sapa-AFP

http://www.anc.org.za:80/ancdocs/briefing/
posted by Tony Gosling tony at gaia.org

     Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe remains steadfastly defiant
of
international pressure to
     quickly end the ongoing land crisis in the country and has
scoffed on British's offers for aid to
     resolve the problem.

     Ignoring mounting international concerns over the illegal
occupation of white-owned farms by
     war veterans and supporters of his ruling ZANU-PF party, Mugabe
repeated his refusal to end
     the land invasions when he launched his party's election
manifesto Wednesday.

     He said the invasions, which he has called "mere peaceful
demonstrations" took him by surprise,
     but pleasantly so.

     "We support the war veterans. The action they took was their own
initiative, it all surprised us,
     but pleasantly," he said.

     Britain, the former colonial master which has offered funding
for
the land reforms, wants an end to
     the illegal occupation of white-owned farms and is pressing
Harare to end political violence and
     intimidation and stage free and fair legislative elections.

     "Neither Britain nor any other donor is going to fund a
programme
of land reform unless it is
     conducted within the rule of law, it is based on a fair price to
the farmer and it reduces poverty
     among the rural poor who have no land," said British foreign
secretary Robin Cook.

     But Mugabe reacted angrily: "We can't learn the rule of law from
the British, because they never
     introduced it here. They cannot be our teachers of democracy
because we introduced democracy
     in this country, there was never any democracy here, no law and
order here".

     In coming days, Mugabe will use special powers to take the
farms,
but the United States said the
     use of presidential powers to seize white-owned farms was "not
the way to go."

     "Using presidential powers to confiscate land without
compensation would undermine
     confidence in equal treatment of the laws in Zimbabwe," State
Department spokesman Richard
     Boucher.

     Sweden has meantime called for concerted action by the European
Union to defuse the violent
     land crisis in Zimbabwe, but cautioned that economic sanctions
could backfire.

     Swedish Foreign Minister Anna Lindh said she believed Mugabe
wanted sanctions because it
     would give him more support at home. Any attempt to use economic
leverage would probably
     only strengthen his support for seizing property from white farm
owners, she explained.

                           [ index by subject - length | newswire
root
]

source: gopher://gopher.anc.org.za/00/anc/newsbrief/2000/news0505
processed Fri 5 May 2000 09:43 SAST.